can i have your opinion please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
jku

Default can i have your opinion please

I bought a GSD and when I brought him to a trainer he noticed that he was walking funny and told us to get his hips checked out. I brought him to my vet and he told me he had minor dysplasia. So I took the dog back and now the breeders vet says the dog has great hips and there is no problem with them (Imagine that). The trainer and the vet I brought him to has no reason to lie. I would like some other peoples opinion. Should I believe the breeders vet or should I get a 3rd opinion
Attached Thumbnails
can i have your opinion please-1.2.840.114387.645821269.14949.18610.49116.199524379658165.jpg  
jku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

send them in to OFA. personally the pic you posted, the hip on the right looking at the xray, looks a tad off..I don't see GREAT hips here, but you'd maybe get a fair?

I am taking YOUR vet's side..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's iffy to me. You have 50% coverage on both. But the right side, the femoral head looks a bit flattened and both the necks look a little thick. But, depending on the dogs purpose, I would not be unhappy with the hips. I think they would go Fair, maybe mild HD.

How old is the dog? Did I miss that? I would send to OFA for a reading and go from there. Not sure what your contract states. But at least you will have an answer.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 07-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I wonder if the flattening is not just a matter of the legs not being properly positioned and that is the fovea capitus. But, I would let the OFA sort that out. It does not look really bad to me

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They look a lot better than a lot of the hips posted here. The heads are in the socket. I am surprised you are seeing symptoms from this, and depending on the age of the dog, I would be wondering if we have some pano going on that is causing the dog to be ouchy.

I agree send them in to the OFA. If the breeder won't accept the OFA's determination, then that is telling. But not all vets are created equal when it comes to reading x-rays, or taking x-rays for that matter. And trainers, well, HD can only be diagnosed by x-ray. There are a host of reasons dogs will limp, from back problems to pano to muscle sprains and strains and foreign objects stuck in the foot, even too long or infected toenails.

The hips look pretty good.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
jku

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks for the quick replies. and he is 3 years old
jku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You bought him as an adult? Why were the hips not checked prior to sale?

Or did you buy him as a puppy?

Do you have a contract?

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Speaking as an interested amateur that has nursed a GSD through severe hip dysplasia, it's great that you're concerned. Our pup had no sockets and at the end was on three different pain medications plus monthly shots and supplements.

To my eye your dog looks wonderful, but as others have asked, how do you plan to use your dog? If he's for breeding, absolutely get him cleared by the OFA. Otherwise, if he's intact, have him neutered. Please.
BobCl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jku View Post
I bought a GSD and when I brought him to a trainer he noticed that he was walking funny and told us to get his hips checked out. I brought him to my vet and he told me he had minor dysplasia. So I took the dog back and now the breeders vet says the dog has great hips and there is no problem with them (Imagine that). The trainer and the vet I brought him to has no reason to lie. I would like some other peoples opinion. Should I believe the breeders vet or should I get a 3rd opinion
There is clearly a difference from left to right in the x-ray. Looks to me that the left leg should be causing you issue. I'd certainly seek a third opinion. Perhaps at the expense of the breeder.
dbailey@nl.rogers.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Since the dog is 3 years old...
If he is altered then you should take heed to the findings of the most recent studies on HD.
See Dog Naturally online mag. Two issues back for the finding of a direct link to HD and early spay and neutering. Plus other significant links resulting from altering a K9 younger that 2 years old.

By the way... the x-ray was not taken correctly. It is a little off on the right side, viewed, or the dogs left side. If you look on line at the OFA website you will find good information about how the x-ray should be set up. It is also in one of the issues of Dog Naturally.
stearnsbd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.