German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Show those Hips (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-those-hips/)
-   -   can i have your opinion please (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-those-hips/469226-can-i-have-your-opinion-please.html)

jku 07-10-2014 06:20 PM

can i have your opinion please

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a GSD and when I brought him to a trainer he noticed that he was walking funny and told us to get his hips checked out. I brought him to my vet and he told me he had minor dysplasia. So I took the dog back and now the breeders vet says the dog has great hips and there is no problem with them (Imagine that). The trainer and the vet I brought him to has no reason to lie. I would like some other peoples opinion. Should I believe the breeders vet or should I get a 3rd opinion

JakodaCD OA 07-10-2014 07:56 PM

send them in to OFA. personally the pic you posted, the hip on the right looking at the xray, looks a tad off..I don't see GREAT hips here, but you'd maybe get a fair?

I am taking YOUR vet's side..

gsdsar 07-10-2014 08:20 PM

It's iffy to me. You have 50% coverage on both. But the right side, the femoral head looks a bit flattened and both the necks look a little thick. But, depending on the dogs purpose, I would not be unhappy with the hips. I think they would go Fair, maybe mild HD.

How old is the dog? Did I miss that? I would send to OFA for a reading and go from there. Not sure what your contract states. But at least you will have an answer.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jocoyn 07-10-2014 08:26 PM

I wonder if the flattening is not just a matter of the legs not being properly positioned and that is the fovea capitus. But, I would let the OFA sort that out. It does not look really bad to me

selzer 07-10-2014 09:33 PM

They look a lot better than a lot of the hips posted here. The heads are in the socket. I am surprised you are seeing symptoms from this, and depending on the age of the dog, I would be wondering if we have some pano going on that is causing the dog to be ouchy.

I agree send them in to the OFA. If the breeder won't accept the OFA's determination, then that is telling. But not all vets are created equal when it comes to reading x-rays, or taking x-rays for that matter. And trainers, well, HD can only be diagnosed by x-ray. There are a host of reasons dogs will limp, from back problems to pano to muscle sprains and strains and foreign objects stuck in the foot, even too long or infected toenails.

The hips look pretty good.

jku 07-11-2014 11:25 AM

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the quick replies. and he is 3 years old

Jax08 07-11-2014 11:43 AM

You bought him as an adult? Why were the hips not checked prior to sale?

Or did you buy him as a puppy?

Do you have a contract?

BobCl 07-11-2014 04:09 PM

Speaking as an interested amateur that has nursed a GSD through severe hip dysplasia, it's great that you're concerned. Our pup had no sockets and at the end was on three different pain medications plus monthly shots and supplements.

To my eye your dog looks wonderful, but as others have asked, how do you plan to use your dog? If he's for breeding, absolutely get him cleared by the OFA. Otherwise, if he's intact, have him neutered. Please.

dbailey@nl.rogers.com 07-12-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jku (Post 5758290)
I bought a GSD and when I brought him to a trainer he noticed that he was walking funny and told us to get his hips checked out. I brought him to my vet and he told me he had minor dysplasia. So I took the dog back and now the breeders vet says the dog has great hips and there is no problem with them (Imagine that). The trainer and the vet I brought him to has no reason to lie. I would like some other peoples opinion. Should I believe the breeders vet or should I get a 3rd opinion

There is clearly a difference from left to right in the x-ray. Looks to me that the left leg should be causing you issue. I'd certainly seek a third opinion. Perhaps at the expense of the breeder.

stearnsbd 07-13-2014 11:39 PM

Since the dog is 3 years old...
If he is altered then you should take heed to the findings of the most recent studies on HD.
See Dog Naturally online mag. Two issues back for the finding of a direct link to HD and early spay and neutering. Plus other significant links resulting from altering a K9 younger that 2 years old.

By the way... the x-ray was not taken correctly. It is a little off on the right side, viewed, or the dogs left side. If you look on line at the OFA website you will find good information about how the x-ray should be set up. It is also in one of the issues of Dog Naturally.