7 nth old X-ray pano, arthritis & 3 femur cracks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy 7 nth old X-ray pano, arthritis & 3 femur cracks

I know I am terrible at taking pictures, but these are the X-rays of my 7 month old male GSD. I had made a previous post about possible hip dysplasia. Well, he has pano, and 3 small healed cracks in his femur bone(left leg) and arthritis in his left knee which completely SURPRISED me.. I know with pano, it was a given from growing pains, but arthritis sure surprised me.. the only thing the vet told me to do was rest him for 2-3 weeks and give him anti-inflammatories.. I know you can't grow out of arthritis if I am correct.. I am doing bite protection work with him.. and the vet knows this and didn't say anything about stopping it.. is there anything else I can give him to help.. glucosamine pills? help. I don't know much about dog arthritis.
Attached Thumbnails
7 nth old X-ray pano, arthritis & 3 femur cracks-img_2909.jpg   7 nth old X-ray pano, arthritis & 3 femur cracks-img_2911.jpg   7 nth old X-ray pano, arthritis & 3 femur cracks-img_2927.jpg  
mamatolaceynchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

The arthritis is probably caused by bone grinding against bone. In humans, the docs can inject artificial synovial fluid directly into the joint & it often brings great relief. Don't know if they do it in dogs.

Be sure not to let him get overweight. I would definitely try the glucosamine.

Let your vet be your guide as to his activity level & if surgery is an option in your case.
zetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, with pano, you are supposed to rest them so I would discontinue bite work right now. I would say that 7 mos is a bit too young to be doing bite work. (rest him would imply quit the bite work for a while. it isn't rest.)

So far as anti inflamatories, I would pursue an wholeistic vet because herbs can really help and have less harmful effects than other anti inflamatories.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

The vet said only rest him for 2 weeks, he asked about his bite work and he is still doing flirt pole work so it's nothing serious. He's been doing it since he was 12 weeks old, and my vet trains with the same people. Bite work isn't an over night process, it takes a long time. Like I said he's been doing it since he was 12 weeks now 7 months and he hasn't even moved up to the table, he has a low-prey drive.
mamatolaceynchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

To me, this seems like an awful lot of damage for a dog who's not doing anything serious. 3 fractures? It's obvious that his body can't take the abuse, and he's still very much a puppy. It sounds to me like he's doing more than his body can handle, and has been for some time. He needs to grow up and get strong before any more damage is done. What's your hurry? He should have a lifetime to learn to do what you want.

He already has arthritis that will most likely cause him pain for the rest of his life. It won't go away. If you don't stop, the problems will only get worse. I'm surprised that you would even ask the question of whether or not to stop with his training. Isn't it obvious that he can't take it?

Fractures and arthritis are not normal for puppies, so something has to be causing these issues. Even if it's his personal physiology that is causing the damage, he can't continue doing the activities that aggravate it. At least give him time to grow up.
Pawsed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would rest this puppy. As far as bitework, there is NO reason a baby this age needs to be doing any, even flirtpole. My dog is 8 months and is having his first EVER session (he's never done any rag or flirtpole work) tonight and I don't consider him behind because he's a baby, I doubt we'll see much, the defense drive and aggression are just not there yet.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

i am guessing the arthritis of the knee and the fractures are related but which came first is debatable
if your vet thinks it is okay to work a dog with this many ortho issues you need a new vet
sorry

as others said this is going to cause lifelong problems and may end this dogs life early due to pain
yes he is not showing pain atm but by the time he does his skeletal system will be completely damaged perhaps beyond repair
Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

My goodness, 3 fractures?? This pup is in pretty rough shape for his age. I would be doing nothing but gentle leashed walks, just to potty for several weeks and then taking it easy from there.

You need to be very careful with them until they are at least a year old.

Flirt pole play is a lot of quick movement, hard starts/stops and turns. Definitely put that on the back burner for a while.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.