German Shepherds Forum banner

Ginger's gait/hips- concerned.

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  hev1128 
#1 ·
Ginger is our 4year old (estimated) rescue.
She has obviously been kenneled/crated a lot as she has large elbow calluses.
She tires very easily. Doesn't "play" much.
We started training last night and our trainer voiced concern about her gait/hips. Trainer is also concerned about her lack of stamina/endurance. My husband and I believe this is from the crating but now I am worried.
Already made a vet appointment for tomorrow night (orthopedic vet) but thought I'd post some videos in case you guys had opinions/advice.
As a note, she shows no pain/discomfort while walking or trotting. She doesn't mind if I touch her hip, doesn't show any discomfort if I rub or manipulate them (gently).

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwP3GnRR3Wc&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsqVwWpUQt4&feature=youtu.be

#2 ·
Has ginger had surgery? Why are both of her hips shaved? That could explain the gait.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Why would they shave her hips to check for a spay scar???

Her gait is odd, but it could be that way because it looks funny with her hips shaved!

Her exercise intolerance is probably due to poor care and no activity. Regular walks and a good conditioning program will help.

#6 ·
we have been walking her twice a day. some walks are longer than others. I'm going to drive out routes tomorrow to check the distances.
she loves walking- but once done- all she wants is rest.
I've noticed the walks overheat her a bit too, so that's what is leading me to stamina/endurance issue.
I looked at the pics again- they didn't shave her hips. they shaved inside her legs. don't know why they look shaved....they aren't. trust me. I just brushed her. Lots of hair there!

#8 ·
Ok. On closer look I think it's just her coloring. Sorry for the confusion.

But watching more of the video, it looks more like her knees are the issue not her hips.

She sure loves you!!! Very pretty girl, thanks for rescuing her!!!

You are doing good taking her on walks. She is "older" so it may take longer to get her in condition than a pup.

#11 ·
See what the vet says. Something does look a bit off. She does look like she could bear to loose some weight as well which may help. I am impressed with rehab/sports medicine vets...they can help you do a passive range of motion program and exercises to strengthen joins and build endurance appropriately.

#12 ·
Home from a 2 hour vet appointment! Ginger did great with all the checking out.
Issue is not with her hips. She does have low muscle mass but it's equal on both sides.
Her right rear knee has arthritis and might have a torn ACL. very old injury. Left knee has arthritis but also has torn ACL and meniscus. Not a recent injury but timeframe is unknown. We have 2 options. Option 1- Surgery on left knee with rehab aftercare. No real guarantee for success. Option 2- supplements/drug combo with rehab for a month or so. If she gets better great. If not, then surgery.

We have opted for Option 2. It's less invasive. she isn't in pain- doc thinks just some discomfort. We can work on rehabbing/exercise with the supplements.
We are also concerned that we have only had her for 2 weeks and the shock that would come from surgery and limited movement etc during this time when we are trying to set a routine and bond.

Thanks for all of your feedback! anyone have a dog with knee issues?

#13 ·
I think option 2 is a good way to go. Keep open to surhery( if they are old injuries then there is no rush) and see how she does.

Find a certified rehab therapist for her, underwater treadmill, laser, and strength building excersises will do wonders hopefully.

But she is a large dog, so unstable joints will cause arthritis and pain. Surgery may be needed to mitigate that as she gets older. Especially the knee with the miniscus.

See if you can PM ColieCVT, she works for an orthopedic surgeon and may be able to walk you through options.

#14 ·
Gsdsar-we are lucky in that our ortho vet is a surgeon and he has a therapist with underwater treadmill and laser in their office. We are going to get exercises from the therapist too.
we were told to keep walking and training, that it is good for her. But, to stop if she is tired. not to push too hard.

I will try to message ColieCVT. thanks

#15 ·
Wonderful. Those treadmills are great; I used one with my dog with bad hips for awhile and Beau is going once a week just for conditioning as part of laying down more muscle.

We had Great experience on Grim when he had a back injury and they used the laser.

There is a lot you can do with rehab. I am really impressed with those vets.

#16 ·
Update on Ginger.
We started rehab last week- cold laser only because Ginger has an ear infection.
She had her 2nd treatment this AM. the therapist saw noticeable improvement in her range of motion. We notice it too as she seems to squat lower when she's peeing/pooping. We are really pleased!
Underwater treadmill starts Monday the 7th. Fingers crossed!
In addition to the above therapy she is on supplements and meds which I'm sure are helping as well. Now to figure out the skin issue she is having.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.