10 week old GSD hip dysplasia? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 10 week old GSD hip dysplasia?

My puppy has yet to try to go up stairs on get on sofa. And when she runs she does a "bunny hop" with her rear legs. And her right rear leg as a slight twist to it when she's walking.

I first started to notice a couple weeks ago when she was trying to jump and get a toy from my hand. And today I slightly squeezed her hips and she yelped again. I have a vet appointment in the morning but just trying to get some opinions.
devinh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Definitely see your vet, she is so young to be dealing with possible HD, poor girl. Hopefully you have a good vet and will be able to help you here.

She may have sprained her leg somehow and is now compensating for this injury, but your vet will be able to guide you better.

I have a GSD girl with HD, although is only mild, she has been scored and is pretty even on both sides. She bunny hops often and has difficulty getting up on a sofa or in the back of the car. To manage her, so far all I have done is give her human glucosamine and chondroitan capsules once a day, green lipped muscle powder once a day.

Your girl being a puppy, don't over exercise her, just gentle off lead (if you can) walking/trotting and allow her to stop when she has had enough. Don't allow her to run/sprint very fast with sudden stops like she would if you threw a ball fast. Keep her weight lean, don't allow her to become overweight.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I haven't run her at all. I throw the ball or a stuffed animal and she just trots. I walk her in the morning and night just up and down my street. Never running(I smoke so running for no reason isn't in my mind)
Old 05-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

I doubt you can diagnose HD at 10 weeks. Bones and joints aren't fully developed at 10 weeks. Bunny hop is not an indication of HD.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

The thing with HD is that the gene has to be present in order for her to develop dysplasia, environmental issues such as excessive high impact running/jumping, being over weight etc can help to develop the dysplasia if the gene is present in the first place.

Hopefully you have a good vet and he/she will be able to guide you onto the right treatment/management plan.

Hopefully she is just dealing with a sprain type injury. Let us know what the vet says.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I might just be overreacting. Hopefully that's the case. I still don't know how she would have sprained it in the first place though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.