German Shepherds Forum banner

Beau's OFA X-rays

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  NancyJ 
#1 ·
Not sure if they will go good or fair. Would LOVE insights. The right hip looks a little off to me. My "happy place" was to have working joints. I think I have that. He said they looked good. We also did the back but he did not cut to the disk and that looked good as well.

Right now the vet still needs to type in the AKC number and the mircrochip before he sends (software was acting up a little) but he threw them on a disk for me.

See less See more
#6 ·
very good Nancy.

mr Taggart I have to say something about this though "Cod liver oil is particularly good for joints "

Cod liver oil is NOT the same as the oil extracted from the flesh of oily fish such as mackerel and herring.

Cod liver oil needs to be given carefully as this is the form of Vitamin A supply which is fat soluble and will accumulate and can be toxic.

#7 ·
Interesting. My breeder came to the same conclusion as I did concerning that one side and thinks we will get fair. How long does OFA take? It wll be interesting to see what they think. The positioning is a little to the side and rotated it appears to me.

Fair is still "ok", maybe less desirable for breeding, but I did not get him with the intent of breeding anyway and am just delighted to have no orthopedic defects in regards to work. I plan to take him to a sports vet later this summer who helped a teammate's injured dog as she comes up with a dog specific conditioning program. I have had enough age out with spondylosis and nerve damage, that I think the back is the biggest thing I need to protect.

#8 ·
My boys prelims looked very similar. My breeder was actually worried he would not get a rating. But he came back Good. I was worried cause it looked like one hip was not equal to the other. So a difference between the hips, I figured he would get fair or mild.

I stand by your boy getting Good.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
I hope so, that would be nice. :). Now for the wait! How long do they usually take? I signed to post regardless of how they come out (even asked my breeder first and she says "the more information the better; I wish everybody posted good and bad"

#10 ·
I am now officially paranoid about hip ratings! I think they are a bit different, and the thicker femural neck on the one side worries me....only because I had one that the vet said Good - maybe Fair because of that - that failed.....she offered to retake but after calling OFA and talking to Keller said that is why they failed (Good on one side, but other side failed)....I hope yours get evaluated by different docs and are ok! I think they look fine and definitely workable.....

Lee

#12 ·
Mine have been taking two to three weeks.

When I get a rating back I also call and ask for the "vote" they will tell you how each vet graded them.

My vet, who is well know for OFA's has always been spot on on his assessment. The last couple he said Good, any other breed excellent, and when I call it's been one excellent, two good. LOL

One of these days I'm going to get that reversed and get the two excellents.

#13 ·
Coming down to the wire. My vet said good and normal but I think those elbows are going DJD1. ......

I am not freaking out but look at the aconeal ridge near the joint. ........both elbows...right more pronounced. Dog moves fine (and even the horse folks who pick up every little aberration say that) - and I know a number of dogs who have DJD1 and never shown a sign of any problem. Obviously I will report when they come in ...

Regardless I am taking his x-rays and him to a sports/rehab vet who helped out a teammate with an injury to help me come up with the best plan for optimizing his structural integrity. Also attending a class on "extending the working life of your dog" at he Cadaver Seminar at WCU this weekend.

#14 ·
A question a little off topic...Do Prelim Xrays get sent in to OFA? And how reliable are Prelims. in determining joint rating as an adult. (H&E) (Pup will be xrayed at 5 months)

#15 ·
Yes and the answers as to statistical reliabiity are on Orthopedic Foundation for Animals - just bounce around on their site. I am not sure prelims are judged at less than 12 months but I am not sure. I did not do that but it is all there. A new post would be a good way to get info on that.

#16 ·
The votes are in

OFA Good on the hips. 1 excellent, 2 good

DJD1 both elbows - unanimous. My read was right on the elbows. It is a good educational film to look at. No signs of any elbow disorder other than a bit of fuzzines (osteoclasts) on the aconeal ridge which may or may not be symptomatic of any process.

#17 ·
And this is a good educational article. I am not freaking. It is one more strike against breeding him in the future, but that was never a primary consideration on my part. I would still take another from the motherline! His sire is linebred on cordon-an-sat so there is nothing obscure about that! No worry about it becoming rare. The motherline though, rather unique. Fortunately....it will be preserved.

http://www.ridgebackregister.com/images/RR_11Sp_Elbow_Debate_singles.pdf

#19 ·
The article pretty much explains it. It is a rating when they see signs of ossification on the ridge of the elbow but no other signs of dysplasia such as an unuited aconeal process or a fractured coronoid process.........I see a lot of debate as to whether or not there is any clinical significance. Probably best to avoid in breeding unless there are compelling reasons to use the dog with it, but it sounds like it rarely progresses to cause problems. The best way to see is to look at the article and it has left and right mixed up but it shows the little fuzziness they are looking for (a red arrow) then you can see it on his elbows.

#20 ·
I wanted to update. After the elbows went DJD1, I went to the rehab/sports vet to come up with a conditioning program and we are working him the underwater treadmill once a week. I intend to continue to keep him in top form.

We were working him on a trot and she has ZERO concerns about those elbows! They extend well and have great range of motion. You can, however see a difference between the left hip and the right hip with the right hip having greater (slightly) range of motion. Mind you OFA went 1, exc and 2 good on the hip ratings and it is the left hip that has slightly less coverage. So not bad at all but relative to one another there is a slight imbalance we are working with.

FWIW, the x-rays are reversed and the left hip really is on the left of the x-ray.

So this is "beyond OFA" going into the biomechanics of it all. It is neat in the treadmill and I need to remember to shoot some video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.