German Shepherds Forum banner

Koda 10 month old GSD with severe HD

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Kylebreakiron 
#1 ·
So I recently posted a thread that my pup has HD. Its very bad and he never wants to get up when inside the house. When outside, he will play to a certain extent with his one year old sister GSD. I got a referral to a surgeon in College Station Texas for surgery. Apparently he is a very good surgeon and is booked until June. I cant stand to see Koda in pain. He pants while laying down and never wants to get up. I give both GSD's Glucosamine and fish oil. And he is prescribed "Metacam" (Meloxicam) by the pound. Originally he was on half of a 7.5 mg meloxicam tablet once every morning. Didnt seem to help at all. Now he is on the liquid Metacam which I was told was stronger because its administered by the weight of the dog. But this stuff doesnt seem to help either. I thought forsure it would work due to its high cost. (80$/2 weeks). He's suppose to be on anti inflammatory til he gets surgery to help with pain. But I cant stand to see my pup in this much pain. I have a few questions for anyone who is willing to help me and explain.

1. Will short term use of the steroid Prednisone be harmful for a GSD at such a young age.

2. Does anyone have any idea of good surgeons near the Houston, Texas area?

3. What else can I do to help Koda. It hurts to see this and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear about Koda, it must be heart wrenching to watch your 10 month old puppy go through so much pain.

Lola has HD but not to the severity you are experiencing.

Sounds like surgery is your option, hopefully they will get him in soon, you should ask the vet what you can do in the mean time to help him with pain. The only thing I can suggest is to provide him with very soft bedding, warmth and no high impact exercise him.

I hope he finds pain relief soon:)

#3 ·
There are different NSAIDS you can try if the Metacam is not working. College Station is the Vet school. So bound to have fantastic Dr.

I would stay away from steroids in a young dog, plus they can not be given in conjunction with the Metacam. Talk to your vet about adding in some other pain meds, like Tramadol or Gabapentin. Which can be given with an NSAID.

I would also look for rehab therapy, underwater treadmill, laser, acupuncture can go a long way to building muscle and decreasing inflammation.

Good luck.

#6 ·
#7 ·
NSAIDs and prednisone can not be mixed and a period of time between the two needs to be done. Gabapentin and Tramadol are decent drugs but on my dear Hunter gabapentin made him walk "drunk like" so I discontinued it and went to tramadol and prednisone. Prednisone can do some long term undesirable effects and though he may do well on it, it will need to be tapered. There are many drugs out there to experiment with and things that are not medications (acupuncture, surgery). Good luck and it really is horrible when things like this happen.

#8 ·
I am so sorry to hear about your guy and what your going through. My Dex has HD also but not as bad. I hate to see him in pain which is maybe once or twice a month, never mind everyday. We use tramadol and Adequan.

#20 ·
Hi!

My 11 month old pup Otto is getting his left hip replaced next week. Good luck with Koda's replacement and let me know how it goes as well as ANY advice!
Thanks!

He actually just had his surgery today bc of a delay in getting the implants.

I have a buddy who works there and was able to send me pics post surgery.

Let me know hoe Otto does :) Koda and him are the same age. Unfortanate they have to go through this :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.