Should I have them checked? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member
 
OUbrat79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 516
Default Should I have them checked?

So in a couple months I'm going to have Ammo fixed, he will be 18 months. I was wondering if I should have his hips checked of if he is still too young? Both his parents have good hips so I have no major worries, but I would still like to have them checked just to be safe. If I don't have them checked when he is fixed at what age should I have them checked? Let me know. Thanks
__________________
Kolt Ammo Vom Geschenk "Ammo"
OUbrat79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator
 
JakodaCD OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Old Lyme, CT USA
Posts: 20,597
Default

If your not planning on doing any specific high impact activities, I would have them done when you neuter him.

Reason being, you will get status of hips now, and you will have an xray for future reference if anything crops up down the line. I also suggest, since your xraying, do the elbows/spine/knees.

I always xray the whole picture, so later on, if the dog comes down with something going on physically, I have something to refer back to , to compare with any changes occuring.

Now if you want to OFA the dog, that has to be done after he's 2, altho at this age you can get a preliminary finding.
__________________
Diane

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator
 
JeanKBBMMMAAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 23,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
If your not planning on doing any specific high impact activities, I would have them done when you neuter him.

Reason being, you will get status of hips now, and you will have an xray for future reference if anything crops up down the line. I also suggest, since your xraying, do the elbows/spine/knees.

I always xray the whole picture, so later on, if the dog comes down with something going on physically, I have something to refer back to , to compare with any changes occuring.

Now if you want to OFA the dog, that has to be done after he's 2, altho at this age you can get a preliminary finding.
Agree with all of this - and my preference is for the Penn hip if you want the xrays reviewed. That you can do younger.
__________________
IMOM is...
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
dawnandjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Macedon, NY
Posts: 1,405
Default

Can you wait another 6 months for the neuter and do OFA's and the neuter at the same time? Just from a breeders perspective, I would rather see final x-rays rather than prelims done. If you are spending the money on the x-rays, why not? I have never looked into PENNHIP, so cant speak on that, but they do the officials younger. Does your vet have a digital x-ray machine? Having seen regular films and digital images, I will never do regular films again. I agree with getting as much x-rayed as possible too. The expensive part is the anestesia, registering with OFA is the cheapest part.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member
 
OUbrat79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnandjr View Post
Can you wait another 6 months for the neuter and do OFA's and the neuter at the same time? Just from a breeders perspective, I would rather see final x-rays rather than prelims done. If you are spending the money on the x-rays, why not? I have never looked into PENNHIP, so cant speak on that, but they do the officials younger. Does your vet have a digital x-ray machine? Having seen regular films and digital images, I will never do regular films again. I agree with getting as much x-rayed as possible too. The expensive part is the anestesia, registering with OFA is the cheapest part.
I can't wait any longer on having him neutered. I signed a contract saying I would neutered by 7 months so I'm already over that by a year. I honestly have no idea what pennhip is. I will have to check about the digital images.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
Kolt Ammo Vom Geschenk "Ammo"
OUbrat79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator
 
MaggieRoseLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bushkill, PA (The Poconos!)
Posts: 26,258
Default

You'll do fine if you get him neutered now, he's done growing.

And I WOULD have his xrays done at the same time. Just good to have a baseline to KNOW how his hips are now.

__________________
*****
MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member
 
OUbrat79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 516
Default

So I just called the vet to kind of get an idea on how much it will cost for everything. The woman basically refused to do the X-rays saying that I would simply be throwing my money away because the baseline for X-rays was 2. She said the hips would change so much in the next couple months that the X-rays at 18 months would be worthless.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
Kolt Ammo Vom Geschenk "Ammo"
OUbrat79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member
 
GrammaD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUbrat79 View Post
So I just called the vet to kind of get an idea on how much it will cost for everything. The woman basically refused to do the X-rays saying that I would simply be throwing my money away because the baseline for X-rays was 2. She said the hips would change so much in the next couple months that the X-rays at 18 months would be worthless.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
She doesn't know what she's talking about.

Quote:
A recent publication* compared the reliability of the preliminary evaluation hip grade phenotype with the 2 year old evaluation in dogs and there was 100% reliability for a preliminary grade of excellent being normal at 2 years of age (excellent, good, or fair). There was 97.9% reliability for a preliminary grade of good being normal at 2 years of age, and 76.9% reliability for a preliminary grade of fair being normal at 2 years of age. Reliability of preliminary evaluations increased as age at the time of preliminary evaluation increased, regardless of whether dogs received a preliminary evaluation of normal hip conformation or HD. For normal hip conformations, the reliability was 89.6% at 3-6 months, 93.8% at 7-12 months, and 95.2% at 13-18 months. These results suggest that preliminary evaluations of hip joint status in dogs are generally reliable. However, dogs that receive a preliminary evaluation of fair or mild hip joint conformation should be reevaluated at an older age (24 months).

*Corley, EA, et al. Reliability of Early Radiographic Evaluation for Canine Hip Dysplasia Obtained from the Standard Ventrodorsal Radiographic Projection. JAVMA. Vol 211, No. 9, November 1997
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Moderator
 
JakodaCD OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Old Lyme, CT USA
Posts: 20,597
Default

I agree she doesn't know what she's talking about, hip status isn't going to change in this two month period.

I hope it wasn't a "vet" you were talking to..

One other thing, this is YOUR money, YOUR dog, Insist they do it or find someone who will, I'd tell them it's YOUR money to throw away..If you wait, they will charge you for more anesthia, more office visit..
__________________
Diane

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member
 
OUbrat79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
If you wait, they will charge you for more anesthia, more office visit..
I really think that is what they are trying to do. If I get him fixed at 18 months and then go back at 2 for xrays they can charge full price for both. I am going to be looking for a different vet. I won't take him to one who refuses to do what I ask.
__________________
Kolt Ammo Vom Geschenk "Ammo"
OUbrat79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com