German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Show those Hips (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-those-hips/)
-   -   Breeder Vet's Opinion vs. Your Vet's Opinion (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-those-hips/380426-breeder-vets-opinion-vs-your-vets-opinion.html)

Okin 12-12-2013 03:12 PM

Breeder Vet's Opinion vs. Your Vet's Opinion
 
Is it common for a Breeders vet to come to a different opinion about Hip dysplasia than your vet when there are hip grantees in effect? I had my dogs hips X-Ray at 1 year yesterday and my vet felt they were displaystic. I emailed the same x-ray photos to the breeder and 10 minutes later got a reply that his vet looked at them and said they were not and to get and OFA rating. Is this common that vets disagree about these things? I am going to go ahead and get the OFA rating just to know but I'm curious is this common? I would have thought that with something like that vets would agree in general but maybe not.

Chris Wild 12-12-2013 03:18 PM

Yes, it is very common. Unfortunately many general practice vets do not have a lot of experience in properly interpreting x-rays, or even taking x-rays with proper positioning (as is evidenced by many threads in the Show Me Hips) section. This often leads to misdiagnosis. I have seen a few cases of regular GP vets saying a dog didn't have a problem when one was clearly there, and many, many, many cases of GP vets saying that there was a huge problem, including recommending euthanasia or surgery to fix it, when in fact there was no problem at all. I even know of one puppy put down at the vet's recommendation because he was showing pain, when in fact the pup had pano and not HD.. as was obvious on the x-ray when they were viewed by a competent ortho specialist at a later time, but unfortunately the puppy was already dead. And another case where a club member was told by his vet, at a very fancy, supposedly well respected clinic, that his OFA Good rating was dysplastic and anything less than Excellent means that the dog had dysplasia. A simple read through the OFA website would contridict that, but this vet was completely convinced that her totally inaccurate, ignorant opinion was correct and shared it with who knows how many clients.

Most breeders seek out vets who are very experienced and qualified with regard to hip and elbow x-rays so more often than not they are working with a vet who is better at this than the vets many customers use. This is why for contracts/warranties getting an impartial, qualified opinion via something like OFA is the way to go.

Lucy Dog 12-12-2013 03:28 PM

I just looked at your other thread. Just my opinion, but they looked fine at 6 months and they look fine now at a year. Not sure what your vet sees. I think they'd pass if sent to the OFA for grading.

Okin 12-12-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 4661602)
I just looked at your other thread. Just my opinion, but they looked fine at 6 months and they look fine now at a year. Not sure what your vet sees. I think they'd pass if sent to the OFA for grading.

If that is the case that would be a huge relief! I asked her to send them to the OFA so I can have some peace of mind.

Lucy Dog 12-12-2013 03:43 PM

I can see maybe the right hip (left side of x-ray) being the only thing he's seeing, but even that hip looks OFA fair at worst to me. Just wait to see what they come back with before you start with more shots and treatments.

And is he or has he ever shown any signs of pain? Any hesitation to get up steps or jump up? Anything like that?

Okin 12-12-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 4661714)
I can see maybe the right hip (left side of x-ray) being the only thing he's seeing, but even that hip looks OFA fair at worst to me. Just wait to see what they come back with before you start with more shots and treatments.

And is he or has he ever shown any signs of pain? Any hesitation to get up steps or jump up? Anything like that?

The right side is the one she said she saw it in. She does sometimes do the bunny hop run and will sometimes sit lazy, but she will also sit perfect and run perfect too. She has not shown signs of pain. She is a little hesitant on stairs but I think that is because she has a slip on some a month ago she wasn't hesitant before that. She doesn't bunny hop up stairs. She does slip sometimes on hardwood floor, but so did my old dog they are pretty slick. Never enough of a slip to actually fall though.

carmspack 12-12-2013 03:49 PM

I would send them to OFA for an opinion.
A breeder has the right to request for an OFA opinion for the same reasons that Chris Wild outlined. Too many vet clinics don't have the expertise to do a good plate nor to read and interpret them. OFA sort of settles the question .
I would question the right hip . Wonder if under the "a" stamp this might go as an NZ?? OFA I think right hip might be mild?
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-opinions.html
Interested in hearing what OFA has to say about this one.

I don't think this will interfere or prevent this dog from being a good companion animal . Just pay attention to weight, condition, and anti inflammatories such as MSM

Lucy Dog 12-12-2013 03:51 PM

Bunny hopping and a goofy sit isn't really a sure sign of any problems. Pain or signs of pain would be my #1 indicator.

So far you've got 1 vet saying they're fine and the other saying there's a problem. Wait for the OFA to give their opinion. It's their specialty to analyze x-rays. Go from there.

Okin 12-12-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 4661762)
I would send them to OFA for an opinion.
A breeder has the right to request for an OFA opinion for the same reasons that Chris Wild outlined. Too many vet clinics don't have the expertise to do a good plate nor to read and interpret them. OFA sort of settles the question .
I would question the right hip . Wonder if under the "a" stamp this might go as an NZ?? OFA I think right hip might be mild?
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-opinions.html
Interested in hearing what OFA has to say about this one.

I requested my vet get the OFA paperwork ready, I will have them sent out tomorrow. Regardless I am not going to trade my dog for a new puppy, I am attached and love her she is staying with me regardless.

Harry and Lola 12-12-2013 03:56 PM

If you trust your vet then go with him/her, otherwise get a 3rd opinion and definitely get the xray scored/rated.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2