German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Show those Hips (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-those-hips/)
-   -   HD or Bad X-Rays? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-those-hips/379969-hd-bad-x-rays.html)

mommyofmia 12-11-2013 06:05 PM

HD or Bad X-Rays?

2 Attachment(s)
My little girl (2) was diagnosed with probable bilateral HD yesterday. I have read up on proper positioning of x-rays (thanks for the Leerburg link) and it looks like these x-rays would qualify as poor positioning. I pray that it is a misdiagnosis due to poor positioning. Any opinions appreciated.

wolfstraum 12-11-2013 06:09 PM

the positioning is certainly not great....but the right femoral head is pretty misshapen too....not good hips by any means....I would certainly want to have them positioned more correctly and evaluated by a board certified radiologist as to exactly how bad they are and what your options are...there is some socket which is a good thing, but the heads are not good....

sorry - it sucks..... :hugs:

Lee

GatorDog 12-11-2013 06:26 PM

I don't think the xrays are the best, but that definitely looks like HD to me. Really sorry :(

N Smith 12-11-2013 07:08 PM

Agreed with the first two. Right hip to me looks worse due to the socket, but left hip is pretty loose.

Correct positioning can help you get the xrays looked at and graded, but won't change the outcome. Could also help with options for treatment.

doggiedad 12-11-2013 09:33 PM

get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

Chris Wild 12-12-2013 09:08 AM

The positioning isn't great, but it isn't horrible either. Regardless the positioning on the x-rays wouldn't change the results. The femoral heads are misshapen and there is significant arthritic change. Definitely HD. OFA would probably rate as "moderate" HD.

Wild Wolf 12-12-2013 10:53 AM

When the hips are bad enough, positioning isn't really an issue... you can often tell either way. So sorry for the crappy news. :(

jocoyn 12-12-2013 11:17 AM

There is a lot that can be done to help and your dog may never suffer from those hips.

We have a number of threads discussing management of dogs with HD - don't have time to link to them right now but hopefully someone who does, will.

BowWowMeow 12-12-2013 01:10 PM

I agree with Nancy: that is clearly HD but can hopefully be managed. Rafi is 7.5 and came to me with HD 6 years ago. He is doing great without any surgical intervention, just supplements, keeping him lean and doing daily, lower impact exercise.

Myah's Mom 12-12-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyofmia (Post 4657673)
My little girl (2) was diagnosed with probable bilateral HD yesterday. I have read up on proper positioning of x-rays (thanks for the Leerburg link) and it looks like these x-rays would qualify as poor positioning. I pray that it is a misdiagnosis due to poor positioning. Any opinions appreciated.

There is slight rotation in the positioning (overall rotation ever so slightly right, and the right leg not internally rotated to the same degree as the left, showing more of the "lesser trochanter" on the right).

However, despite the ever so slight rotation, there is not good coverage of the femoral heads. A straighter x-ray would not improve that, but may make a very slight difference in the % coverage number. Still, not so good. I've seen a lot worse, though I work with people in radiology, not dogs. Your Penn-Hip certified vet is the best resource.

Good luck!