Exaggerated steps? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Exaggerated steps?

So I've been noticing that Giselle (7 months), takes really exaggerated steps and is wobbly at times. Her hips are really wide for seven months old. I don't have the money for X-rays just yet, so I wanted to see what you guys said. I don't have pics of her hips. I can't her to stay still long enough. So here's one of her being cute in the bathroom, and a side view.
Exaggerated steps?-imageuploadedbypg-free1385806243.221908.jpg
Exaggerated steps?-imageuploadedbypg-free1385806275.238747.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
TaylorGSDT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

I also read that at 7 months a female GSD should be about 54.4lbs on average, and she is already 70lbs. But she is rather skinny.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

First off, I'm not the expert.

I really can't add anything useful to your original question. Does she wobble standing still?

She looks incredibly similar to our late Mia. Mia was a klutz but I wouldn't consider it "wobbly". Xray or not, you should consult the vet about the Wobbly as soon as you can.

As far as her weight. She looks perfectly healthy to me. She may fill in a little as she gets older but she looks fine. We have had two females and both were 65-70 lbs as adults. I don't recall what they weighed at 7 months but if I recall correctly they were pretty close to full grown.
Sp00ks is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

When our pups are growing they can go thru some loose/woobly stages. Why it's important for them to get appropriate amounts of off leash exercise so the bones/muscles/tendons and joints can all get good and strong to help support everything.

I'm sure her parents had good OFA hips, so she's probably fine. Have you called the breeder to explain your concerns? The reason we pay more for a responsible breeder is they WANT the calls and the updates on their pups because it reflects on their breeding program that they are constantly working to improve on. They can tell if the weight is normal for the age of your pup as well as give updates on the littermates.

So reassuring when we have these great breeders to rely on!

Good luck I'm betting your pup is just fine you just need up the exercise.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well actually I just got her from a family. She isn't papered. She has spent the last four months in an outside kennel because the mother has 4 small children. They finally decided she needed a new home and I was the perfect fit. They did not charge me anything and gave me full records of her shots. I believe their intentions were good but the kennel was FAR too small for her. She had no room to run. It was about the size of a bathroom. And she laid on concrete for four months. She doesn't wobble when standing, but I know she didn't get enough exercise. So I've been exercising her everyday, and I have a treadmill that she walks on when I am doing school work. I also have her on a multivitamin because they even admitted that she probably wasn't getting enough nutrients with the amount they fed her. So right now she is on a nutrical high calorie supplement, because under her fur she is really skinny, and I don't approve of it. And a multivitamin and a high performance dog food for active breeds. We walk a total of 3-4 hours a day and she romps in the backyard with my male. Once I see a little more stability we're going to start hiking. And also, by wobbly I meant that her legs kind of seem unstable when she's running and walking. And she tries to take long steps with her back legs, almost like she isn't sure how to walk. It's rather odd.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You can try to post a video but if she's doing all the exercise you are mentioning and doesn't seem in pain, she's probably ok. Many of our GSD's have a weird loose stage and get all cow hocked and wobbly but can grow out of it.

Course make sure the vet's saying things are fine too (think you said you did).
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Smile

Giselle - YouTube
Giselle - YouTube

Not the best quality but you can kind of see her hips.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

Looks perfectly normal to me. She probably has more rear than front right now. Just an unbalanced stage of growth that shows itself by her "exaggerated" walking.

Strauss: Service dog/old man
Wesson: The soon to be champion
Loch: Service dog in training
Barrett: The Frikken Tikken
Xeph is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh ok. I just wasn't sure because I've never had a GSD that was younger than a year.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I looked at both u-tubes, I do not see anything concerning there. I am more concerned with what you are feeding to this youngster, what supplements in your multivitamin, etc. Being nearly full-grown at 7 months old is just how some of them grow, but it really is better for them structurally to grow at a moderate rate. If you are feeding high protein, high fat, high calories, high calcium you can be setting yourself up for problems down the line. Keeping the phosphorous-calcium ratio correct is important for a growing pup.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.