Frag's x rays - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Frag's x rays

I finally got his CD loaded onto our computer and wanted some opinions! I know next to nothing about how these should look, so all I had to go by was what the vet said. It's not my usual vet so I don't know whether or not to trust him, but he was recommended to me by an employer for offering cheap, quality x rays. For $139 I was able to get a diagnoses on Frag's eyes, 3 radiographs, and 10 previcox pills. *shrugs*

Anyway, the vet said if these went to OFA they'd be close to an excellent, but I don't know if he was just saying that to be nice or not.

I don't care, I'm certainly not looking for an excellent, just a healthy frame.

So what do you think? Quality radiograph? Good positioning (he was not sedated for this)? Decent hips? Thanks in advance.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Anybody? ;(
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Can't comment, not qualified, but I have to say I always get a kick out of seeing the tail bones on these
Old 11-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

The positioning is a little off but it looks as if he's got good coverage (better than 50%?)
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I see no signs of problems, but what I'm used to is the OFA position with the legs pulled straight down. So, these xrays aren't in a comparable position and are harder for me to interpret as far as depth of socket and how tightly the joints are.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm seeing the same thing as Blackthorn. The way the legs are pulled makes it hard to determine socket depth and ball coverage. As it is in the picture the coverage looks a bit shallow to me. But it's probably the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would also like to add in that I have noticed with dogs rated Excellent versus good, usually you see a well defined neck and good length. I don't think he has a long enough neck to get an excellent, but he could surprise us.

the position is slightly off. OFA will accept these, but I know you can get a better image and positioning. Just like everyone else said they should be parallel and straight down, with symmetry.
Kontrollverlust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Interesting, thanks for commenting everyone! I didn't have them taken to send to OFA, so I'm not concerned with that at all, we just wanted to know if he had HD or not as he was having some issues.

So, with the weird angle would you say a vet's judgement on these being perfectly fine (health wise!) is accurate, or do you think you'd need a better angle to tell for sure? I only ask because we could not find a source for Frag's pain through these or manipulation, so I wonder if it just wasn't caught because of poorly angled radiographs?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

What symptoms? Is any of it appear to be on the right side, or both sides?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Mostly left, actually. He hasn't had any symptoms in months, but in the spring around Easter time, if our foster puppy would jump on his hind end near the left side he'd yelp and jump up, and a 3 year old tripped and fell on his rear at Easter and he jumped up yelping then, too.

Then, late spring/early summer, we were playing at the park one night like usual, and we didn't exercise more than we had been, just a lot of dock diving, swimming, fetching the ball with the chuck-it, and he started slowing down a LOT towards the end, I noticed and stopped, he rested inside for about 5 minutes and then could barely walk, was limping so bad in his rear (both legs) that he couldn't even try to get onto the couch or into the car (I drive and SUV type, so it's higher off the ground) with his front legs off the ground putting weight onto the back without yelping (and he wouldn't try again after the first time). It lasted 4 days, I had to pick him up onto the couch, etc. and gave him some tramadol, which barely helped.

Tick borne diseases were ruled with a test before and after, and according to the vet it wasn't any kind of tendon/muscle/acl whatever from what he could see, but wouldn't be sure of an ACL tear/pull unless they did some sort of biopsy or something... which he didn't think was worth it right then unless it happened again, because the chance of BOTH going out at the same time gradually (no sudden incident) was very unlikely.

Had a dog chiropractor at a dock diving competition give him a rub down and she said his left side felt "different"... But he hasn't had any issues since, which is the weirdest part.

eta; oh, and we got rays of his back and legs/knees too, to make sure we weren't missing anything higher up and the doc said all was well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.