German Shepherds Forum banner

SHOW ME your Shelter Dogs

131K views 529 replies 400 participants last post by  Rolloismyname 
#1 ·
On the "Motivational Poster" website I created a mosaic with some of my favorite pics from previous foster/ shelter dogs. Please join! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/24_hello.gif

From left to right: Sascha, Moses, Nero, Romeo, Moses w.Georgia and Sascha, Linus, Linus, Moses, Romeo (puppy)

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Shelter dogs - post yours

The lady that gave us Gypsy got her from a shelter. What a smart, beautiful, and loving dog she is too.
Thank you God for our Gypsy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/25_angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/31_paw.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/31_paw.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/31_paw.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/31_paw.gif

#3 ·

Here's my shelter baby, Sable. She came from the Humane Society of the Black Hills here in SD. She's come a long way from the sad girl I found standing in her urine. I can't walk thru there without bawling. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world, and believe me I get offers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/03_wink.gif

This is Sable and my hubby.

#5 ·

My Gaia - being hugged by Daddy, Maedchen rescued her from a shelter just before she was to be PTS, and Carolina (GSDBESTK9) arranged her transport north for me!

DH has said no more dogs for now, but has let me adopt two kitties in the past year & half;
Caroline (ruling the roost from my son's bed):

and Caleb, whose name is Hebrew for "Dog"!!!! (Little did DH know another "dog" had slipped in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/03_wink.gif )
I've never had a velcro-cat before, maybe at heart he really is more canine ...

#7 ·

This is my Abby. Not a pure GSD, but GSD and yellow lab. I adopted her from the shelter. She was grown when I got her, but young. I had her for just over 16 years...January 1987 - February 2003.

This picture was taken while we were on vacation in Rhode Island.

#420 ·
This is my Abby. Not a pure GSD, but GSD and yellow lab. I adopted her from the shelter. She was grown when I got her, but young. I had her for just over 16 years...January 1987 - February 2003.

This picture was taken while we were on vacation in Rhode Island.
Are you sure she's part Lab? I don't see any Lab in her at all. She looks like a white German Shepherd. Many of them have the bisquiting (tan points) on their ears and down their backs.

#9 ·

They are all so beautiful! This is a great thread - keep it going!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/24_hello.gifHi Jordy - you get more handsome every time I see you!

#10 ·

Great thread!

Here are my own "throwaways".

[image]
[/image]

Left to right:

Sally dog-my trophy puppy from W.Virginia. I fostered her mom and siblings who all had parvo, and then she became my foster failure;

Chewbacca-adopted from shelter in LI, NY-you can read his story in the "where are they now" forum;

Matsi-from a breeder prior to my rescuing days;

Red-adopted from Boston Animal Shelter where he sat for six months while his owner, a reverend here in Boston, was prosecuted for severe neglect. (Some of his other dogs didn't make it).

#12 ·

TJ...RIP my special old man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/20_bawling.gif he came from Cherry Point, South Carolina in 2001 at 10 years of age.

Queen Gretchen..RIP momma's bestest girl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/20_bawling.gif She came from Mass. in 2001 at 9 and a half years old.

Brandi Brat..RIP baby girl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/20_bawling.gif She came from West Virginia in 2004 at 8 weeks of age.

Miss Gretchen..arrived in 2004 from Kerry Kneely's rescue in Arkansas.

Ashley's Hope...arrived in 2004 from Georgia at 5 months of age.

Buddy..arrived from MAS in 2004 at 6 months of age, was repo'd by us.

Heidi-boo...arrived 2005 from LRAS at 11 weeks of age.

Abby-gale...arrived from Tenn. in 2005 at 4 months of age, not technically from a shelter...lol.

#13 ·

Rose-we have some dogs who look alike, I think-the Chowish ones!

Kramer from the Erie HS, Erie, PA
Ava from the Wooster, OH shelter
Naji from Columbus, OH shelter then to Paws of Gold Rescue then adopted by me
Bruno from a WVA shelter to BrightStar foster then adopted by me
Anna from a TN shelter, eventually to BrightStar and given to me by them.
Nina from Menands, NY shelter to BrightStar, never leaving!

#14 ·

Yep we do Jean...lol,
Buddy and Hope are my Chow mixes. Your Bruno's face reminds me of my Duke, Mr. Large and in Charge...lmao.

#15 ·

Sean and Neely both from the same shelter. Sean was brought in as a stray when the police found him, and Neely was an animal surrender. The thought of these two sweet, lovable creatures not making it out of the shelter would have broken my heart. Just wish I could have saved more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/31_paw.gif

#16 ·

Thanks to the Urgent Section on this site...

Here's my Bear--sprung from a Kentucky kill shelter, transported to Ohio with 3 Lab rescues (we snuck her in, the black coat helped), and then driven by her new Mommy to her first ever real home in Pittsburgh (go Steelers!) in '03.

We're now back in my hometown, Rochester, NY, where Bear is mightily spoiled by her Grandma & Grandpa and has become a much adored Goofball Princess by all lucky enough to know her! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/03_wink.gif

Yes, that's my bathrobe she's 'playing' with! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/08_rolleyes.gif

(You've just gotta love a naughty rescue!)

#20 ·

I rescued Tunja from east germany 2 years ago....2 days before her scheduled PTS.....She was about 8 yrs old then....

Now, enjoying her pension in ease and comfort:

darling girl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/25_angel.gif

#21 ·

Beautiful pups and kits all around. Throwaways are the best...... One man's trash is anothers treaure. You all are the lucky ones in your treasure hunts!

All these pics are great, and a picture IS worth a thousand words.

#22 ·

Beautiful pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/18_thumb.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/18_thumb.gif
So many happy dogs -Thanks for making a difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/23_hug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/23_hug.gif

#23 ·

This thread is awsome!!!
Kitchi Rescued from Stark county pound OH

Sasha Dutch Shepherd resue from Mowhawk and Hudson River HS

George my "throw away" GSD left to starve on the streets of Buffalo. Never made it to a shelter. He was rescued by a woman named Jerry.
Finally Houdini my first foster rescued from Portage county OH

#24 ·

Sadie is our latest shelter dog. She was dumped in the night bin at a shelter in Ohio and somehow made it to Chicago. We adopted her from a group there, thinking we would bring her home and let her know some comfort for the last bit of her life. Well, looks like she might outlive us!!

Sadie, the day she arrived at the Chicago rescue:

She had the worst case of dry eye the vet had ever seen. It pained us to watch her try to blink her eyes - the eyeballs themselves were almost completely dry and covered with a crust. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/02_frown.gif

And here is the lucky lady now. I say lucky not because she met us but because she just went through emergency Pyometra spay last week! We weren't sure she would be strong enough to handle the surgery but she was!!

Tazer was a gift from the shelter I fostered for. I had recently lost my 1 yr old Cocker to some weird virus I brought back from the shelter. Tazer's mom was found roaming the streets of Chicago, immaculately groomed, wearing a rhinestone collar and VERY pregnant. Everyone thought it would just be a day or two before frantic owners started calling about her. No-one ever did. Tazer and his littermates were born at another fosters and at 8 weeks brought back to the shelter for adoption. Tazer was adopted and brought back the very next day. He was a non-stop ball of energy and attitude! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif The director of fostering thought of me and that's how I got him. Little did I know I was getting the worlds only Lure Coursing, Herding Cocker Spaniel!!

And Winnie was a failed foster. I was at the shelter dropping off a foster I had finished (I did the health issues) and a young girl walked in with a dog and a box. She placed the box up on the coutner, handed the leash to the girl behind the counter, said "Puppies are just too much work" and walked out. I looked in the box - the pups were only about 4-5 weeks old. I told the girl I'd take them right away! I brought them home and set the box down in the living room while I made up the whelping area for the mom (x-pen in a quiet location). I return to the living room to find the puppies had knocked the box over. Winnie had my my 4 adult German Shepherd cornered! She was sitting in front of them barking at them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/05_biggrin.gif Another attitude case! She never went back to the shelter! Now she's our Princess. 'Work' is beneath her. She didn't like obedience, thought agility was stupid (run AND jump?) and when she was beat on the lure course by her brother Tazer she refused to run again. Now she's just our photo model!

#25 ·

Sugar is TOO CUTE! And pupperluv - two handsome guys - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/18_thumb.gif

Here's my Toblerone (Toby AKA Toby-toes) from the SPCA:

#26 ·

Steffi about 3 weeks after getting her from McHenry County Animal Control.

Cooper and Rio from her litter.

Shelby - McHenry County Animal Control.

Starine - McHenry County Animal Control.

Piper - McHenry County Animal Control.

Grace - Memphis Animal Shelter

Kayto - Memphis Animal Shelter

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.