German Shepherds Forum banner

Show me your rescue dog!

11K views 75 replies 48 participants last post by  sagelfn 
#1 ·
Show me your rescue dog and where did you rescue him/her from?

Here is my Oso, rescued on May 15, 2010 from the dog pound.
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

See less See more
#3 ·
Bundash - Found in Austin, Texas under a truck in a mud puddle with a few siblings. Abandon (~7weeks) Apparently, the selections were made from the litter and those not chosen were thrown out ! :(

12 weeks :)

Around 10 months. Due to being in the puddle, he no fur on his feet, legs, and tail from a bacterial infection. He has miraculously grown back almost all his fur other than a few patches on his feet and tip of his tail :)

#8 ·
Bundash - Found in Austin, Texas under a truck in a mud puddle with a few siblings. Abandon (~7weeks) Apparently, the selections were made from the litter and those not chosen were thrown out ! :(

12 weeks :)

Around 10 months. Due to being in the puddle, he no fur on his feet, legs, and tail from a bacterial infection. He has miraculously grown back almost all his fur other than a few patches on his feet and tip of his tail :)

Wow what luck, for you and for your STUNNING GSD!!! :wub::wub:

#4 ·
All 3 of our dogs are rescues: In order of acquisition:

Jake - rescued from the middle of a busy highway in rural TN. He has a 22 caliber bullet in his left hip, so someone shot him at some point.

Nikki - Adopted from Angels Among Us Pet Rescue in Alpharetta GA. Nikki was picked up as a stray by Clayton County Animal Control and was pulled by Angels Among Us on the day she would have been put to sleep. We got her that same day. We were supposed to foster her, but adopted her instead!

Shorty - rescued from the side of a highway in GA.

We also have two rescue cats - Binx and Annie. Binx was found as a stray living in the woods behind my parent's house, and Annie was found as a stray living in the courtyard of my sister's condo. Binx is 18 and Annie is 17.

#5 ·
Your rescued dogs are beautiful.

I made this post to bring more awareness concerning all the awesome dogs out there, that with some food, and loving care bloom into these beautiful dogs. When I rescued my lab last May his ribs were all sticking out his coat was dull and thin and he was a mess. He had ticks, a double ear infection, pink eye, kennel cough, and was infested with worms. When I walked into the vets office with him for the first time people just stared at him. A couple people even commented that he looked like a "pound dog." Earlier this week when I took him to the vets office people were commenting on how beautiful he was. I told them that last year I had rescued him from the dog pound. This lady said, Whaaat??? You got that beautiful english lab from the pound? Unbelievable! She told me that when she was ready to get another dog that she was going to look at the dogs in the pound first.

I believe that all rescued dogs are a shining example of how deserving each and every one of them are of a second chance. Thank you for sharing these pictures of your beautiful rescued german shepherds and thank you for choosing to rescue! Everything that I have said applies to cats as well.

#7 ·
Here are a couple more pictures. In the first one is Juletta. We have had her for 5 years. Her mom was a stray who had kittens in our neighbors back yard. Between my family and other neighbors we each took in one of the kittens, and the mother is now happily living inside my neighbors house.

In the second picture is Ms. Semper. Last January during a winter storm my son heard a kitten crying so he went outside to investigate and found her under a car that was parked across the street in our neighbors driveway. Of course we couldn't turn her away-so much to Brutus's dismay ANOTHER cat was brought into our home.

Attachments

#11 ·
I COMPLETELY agree with you. Nikki, our rescue GSD, was, to be perfectly honest, disgusting on the day we picked her up (the one that was pulled from Clayton County Animal Control). I am a die hard animal lover and even I was a little grossed out by her. I hate to even say that, but it's true. She stunk to high heaven. She was literally skin and bones. Her coat was thin and ugly and she had large clumps of dead brown hair falling off of her (even though she is solid black.) She was pathetic. I immediately took her to one of those self-service dog wash places, and I was a little embarrassed to be seen with her! People were starring at her and then looking at me disapprovingly. I kept explaining to anyone who would listen that if she wasn't standing there with me, she would be DEAD by now.

After a good brushing and a good bath, she immediately looked better. After 3 months of getting healthy and putting on weight, she is now drop dead gorgeous! My friends that saw her those first few days can't believe the difference in her. We get compliments on her all the time, and I never hesitate to tell everyone her story.

And let me tell you - this dog KNOWS that we saved her. The devotion and love that come pouring out of her on a daily basis have no limits.

#12 ·
And let me tell you - this dog KNOWS that we saved her. The devotion and love that come pouring out of her on a daily basis have no limits.
Yes, they do know that you saved them. My lab is the same way, he says thank you to me everyday without saying a word, just by his unwavering love, devotion, respect, and obedience.

#13 ·
All of mine have been rescues.

Here is Cleo (she was 17 in this picture and is now almost 19). I adopted her from the Albuquerque Humane Society when she was 5 weeks old.

And here is Rafi (last summer). He was dumped out in the country and on his own for a while. A nice guy took him in and fostered him. He was in such bad shape when he took him in that he thought he was a really old dog (he was around 1 year old). When I adopted him he had mange, separation anxiety, was a wild man and had some dog reactivity. Now he is PERFECT in every way. :wub:

This is what he looked like before he came home with me.

#14 ·

This is Blitz, he was left in a dog park in Las Vegas for a week until an elderly lady took him home, she couldn't handle him and turned him into the local GSD rescue. They had him listed as 8 years old. He spent months looking for a home until they transferred him to an Arizona rescue, hoping he'd have a better chance of getting adopted. He did. :)

#15 ·
This is of course Lucky. Got him on Presidents day weekend 2004. Three different GSD breeders were involved in his rescue .he was originally found in Canton,Ohio weighing about 42 lbs. We adopted and found out he had heartworm but he was ours. he was maybe a little less then a year at the time.Here he is today. All my pictures of him then(time of adoption) are not on digital.

Attachments

#16 ·
Riley and Faith. We adopted Riley from the Pikes Peak Humane Society when he was 5 months old. He'd been turned in as an owner surrender for barking constantly (he was shoved out in the backyard). He'd never been in the house before so we had to potty train him, car train him as he was terrified of the car, among various other things. Faith and her brother whom we dont have anymore, i found when they were about 4 weeks old and had been dumped in a parking lot without a box to be run over. KK, Faith's brother had a sign TAPED around him stating they had been ditched and hoped someone would flatten them with their car. I found them, took them home. We kept Faith and KK was rehomed with a friend of my husband's from work.

will post the others later.

#17 ·
Tanner was first brought in as a stray, then he was adopted, but the people brought him back a few weeks later because they were moving to a place that didn't allow big dogs.

My family and I were looking for a playmate for Molly, so we decided to look on Petfinder.com. We saw Tanner and found out he was at a nearby shelter so we went to visit him. At first we were just looking, but my little brother didn't get that memo. We saw him and he was a sweetie and gorgeous in person, but my parents said we were just looking. So my parents and I continue looking at other dogs and about 10 minutes later we hear over the intercom "Will Mr. & Mrs. McLeod please come to the front desk, your son is waiting." We thought he got in trouble so we rushed to the front desk. And standing there was my brother holding a leash that had Tanner on the other end. They both walked up to us and Tanner gave us his paw. That was it he was coming home with us!So my dad and I went home got Molly and came back to the shelter to let her meet her new brother. My family and I could be happier. He was adopted January of 2008.:)

Him and Molly are inseperable:

He is my baby boy and he knows it.:D:wub:

#21 ·
This is Macy, I got her from the local animal shelter. She had a cute purple studded collar on and they made me wait a week to get her because it seemed she might have had a home. All my other dogs were adopted,deemed "aggressive and unstable" from their past owners.

This is Max, my Great Dane. Although I "adopted" him, I consider it a rescue. They were taking him back to his breeder to be put down. I thought he could be helped and spent all my time with him. At first he would try bite anyone who touched him but eventually he got settled. He had bitten each one of the people in his previous house (kids too), they never came to visit him because they were to scared. But he is such a different dog now. He is also my dearest and most loyal friend!

#22 ·
I know I've probably posted these before, and her story, but now I see that there is a new thread....and I can't pass up the chance to talk about my youngest pup.

This is Alexandria (also known as Alex). Most people, upon first glance, ask "is that a wolf? Is that a wolfdog? Is that a coyote? What is that..."

Well folks, the SPCA of Central Florida called her a 'Shepherd/Husky' mix. I've started calling her my little Siberian Shepherd (even though I know there are no such things - and no, I'm not one of those that wants to try and turn it into a 'designer breed'), but sometimes I call her my little coyote dog. She sounds so much like a coyote, too, that it sometimes make me double check when she's outside in the yard.

Anyway, enough of my blabbering. Here's her story:

Alexandria and her two sisters (the two sisters highly resembling pure-bred Siberian Huskies, only with a hint of the same sable coloring on parts of their bodies that my dearest Alex has) were apparently found by SPCA investigators upon entering an abandoned, foreclosed home. They were found as seven-week olds, but they were severely malnourished and fearful of everything. After they were fostered, they were placed in the sole custody of the SPCA organization, and spayed when they came of the correct age. It was at this point that all three of them were 'displayed' in the lobby of the SPCA, hoping someone would take in the three cuties. When the largest of the three finally went home (after two weeks of being contained in the lobby), the other two sisters (Alex included) were put in a kennel together. By this time, they were 4.5 months old and teething like beasts.

I'd been looking for a GSD or GSD mix, as I'd always wanted one (dare I even start making an endless list of reasons?). I'm a big believer in saving lives first, then turning to breeders. Nothing against pure-bred dogs or responsible breeders, I'm just a huge fan of mutts and rescues. Anyway, I'd almost turned around and left when I heard a high pitched yip from the corner. Turning to see a little blue-eyed husky puppy, I smiled, not able to resist going over to at least say hi. When a little black and brown mess trotted up from behind the pristine-looking husky pup, I about cried. Seriously, I wasn't sure why, but the funny-looking little dog called to me. I had to have her. After spending some time with the little ball of ugliness, I adopted her. She was so playful with her sister, but extremely timid when they brought her up to me. It took almost a month for that timidity to wear thinner and thinner, and she finally warmed up to me and my family. Now, almost eight months later, she's the mascot of our local Pet Supermarket. She couldn't be more loved.

Oh yeah.....and she's the poster child for my photography. I've only had her since this past October (2010) and I think I've got at least 2000 images I've photographed of her. And those are the ones that have made it past my 'keep or toss' stage. I love my baby! <3

Alexandria on the first evening I had her:

Her first venture in the yard:

My baby today:

Aaaand her famous 'wolf-stare-imma-eat-you-look' lol:

#28 ·
This is Keeta. I got her from the local SPCA. She was about a year old, picked up as a stray in winter where the temps had been down to -40 degrees. I suspect that before being a stray, she was a tied dog with zero socialization and no training.

She'd done pretty well for herself since then. :laugh:

This is her doing her Rin Tin Tin imitation (looking proud and noble after rescuing little Timmy out of the well):

Will work for a tug:

And has one tracking title under her belt already. We are working on the next level for this year.

In a Major Stick Killing Frenzy:

And just being my pretty (but evil) girl.

Not bad for a throw-away dog.

#32 ·
This was our Malinois Tanja, she was a good ol' gal who was my protector and friend.

And my sweet Levi. He passed just before I got Zeke. Just looking at his sweet face makes me cry. Don't know if I'll ever get over losing him...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.