German Shepherds Forum banner

Show me your rescue dog!

11K views 75 replies 48 participants last post by  sagelfn 
#1 ·
Show me your rescue dog and where did you rescue him/her from?

Here is my Oso, rescued on May 15, 2010 from the dog pound.
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

See less See more
#36 ·
Here's Preston 2 weeks after we rescued him. You can see how skinny he is, and this is after staying with a foster for 2 months. He spent his entire life (3 years) prior to being rescued in a crate. When they rescued him he was so smelly and matted that he actually had to be shaved. Poor guy. When we brought him home he was afraid of wind, rain, etc. It was a long training process.

This is Teddy, our first rescue. He came to us fearful and aggressive after being physically abused. Turned into the best dog we have ever had. Freyja has some big shoes to fill. This is a picture of my guy in his golden years, I think 3 months prior to him passing.

#38 ·
This is Nadia, the day I went to meet her. She looks healthy and perfectly fine in this photo

I was not told about any issues she had. I had not filled out an application for her yet. Therefore my ref's, home check and all of that was not done. Yet an hour after meeting her, she came home with me. Once home, I began finding out about all of her issues. From separation anxiety, to pooping indoors, to being high strung and nipping at strangers. We have worked through 90% of her issues and are still working on the nipping. She has good days and bad days and I doubt we will ever get her totally over that part. The 'rescue' I got her from was just getting started and I have no respect for them to this day.
This is her the day after I brought her home. If you look closely, you can see her spine protruding as she runs in the yard. She weighed about 47lbs and was 16 months old.

And this is Nadia a year later

While he did not come from a rescue, but from a private party, Zisso was a smaller male that was raised with a litter mate and an older half sibling(all males) and he took the brunt of the rough stuff from the bigger boys. I found him via an ad on Craigs List. This is his Craig's List photo-he is 16months old here:

He had a nasty wound on his head. I was told that he went out to greet some horses going by and there were dogs with them that attacked him.

And this is my boy a year later

I :wub: :wub: :wub: my furbabies! I remember after bringing Nadia home thinking "what have I gotten myself into?" and now...I cannot imagine life without these two clowns!!

#58 ·
Your Nadia sounds like the issues of my Sasha ( I got her off craigslist) Man, some days it is exhausting but geez, they are so cute aren't they?

#39 ·
My rescue AJ he was very close to meeting an untimely end at the local shelter. Came in as a lost dog and was never claimed, if someone really lost him I feel sorry for them he's an awesome dog. He came house trained, sits, shakes, stays in the back of the pickup and generally listens very well under any environment leash not needed. :)

#40 ·
i have been looking for another GSD for a couple months now that i am on summer vacation from college and i dont have much to do so i had plenty of time to stay with the dog to house train and play, ect... my wife has a little chihuahua that we took to the vet and told the vet we were looking for a GSD. i am also friends with a girl who works with the local rescue group who i also told we were looking for a GSD. a few days later we get a call from the vet telling us that the rescue group has just started fostering a 2 month old GSD puppy and is looking for a forever home.... you have no idea how fast i got in my car and drove down to the rescue place to meet my prospective best friend. when we got there she was very skinny and underfed with a dull coat. i do not know the complete story about her, but i know she was sent to the animal control center to be put down the very next day before the rescue group saved her. i believe that she was a stray that no one wanted or an extra puppy that no one would buy from a litter.

when i went to see her she was a little skiddish, but she soon warmed up to me and i took her for a short walk around the building. every 20 feet or so she would flop over onto her back for a belly rub. she is the sweetest dog in the world and loves to play. she is my best friend in the world and she is getting spayed today. i have had her for a little over a month now and she is growing like a weed! a beautiful weed, none the less. but without further a do, here are pictures of my best friend maddie :]

a few days after we brought her home.

about a week ago

and yesterday:]

she loves showing off those pearly whites! smile!

and one with her little big sister sadie, the 4 y/o 3.5 lb. chihuahua

working on her stack, all by herself! lol

sorry for posting so many pictures, but i am so proud to be this little girl's "daddy". she fills me with the joy i have been looking for since my old GSD, Shira, was hit by a car when i was 4. i love this little girl!

#42 ·
My four rescues . . .

This is Sydney Australia, my best guess on breed is Pit X
. I acquired her from the local animal shelter. She was found at the dump. She was around 1yo when I adopted her. She is 8 in this pic.

This is Bear, I rescued him from a police officer who made him live in a tiny kennel and starved him. He was 15lbs underweight when he found me. He was the most obedient dog I have ever known.

This is Kai, I acquired her at work. She was brought in to the clinic I worked at by her "breeder" if you can call it that. She was 12wk and had a grade 5 (of 6) heart murmur, she weighed 8lbs. The breeder wanted her PTS, but the doctor got permission for me to adopt her. No dog had more fun with life than Kai.

This is Birbo. His owners at the time (owners #3, he was only 14mo) brought him in to the clinic I worked at to be PTS. They signed him over to me. The rest is history . . .

Please ignore the dates on the pictures, my camera lies.:)

#43 ·
If this works right, the first picture is Loki The Wonder Dog.
He was such a wonderful dog. He fostered Zoey the Weasel and many kittens with equal aplomb. He was just a gentle old soul. I still have some of his toys and Alice wears his collar. He was definitely a gift and a once in a lifetime dog for me.

This Zoey the Weasel Terrier, not an official rescue but dumped on the side of highway 680 in North San Jose. Had three homes before three months old and my mother wanted her. I shoulda said no to my mom but am a weak child.
When my mother passed Zoey was at least ten and her behavior was attrocious...I'll leave it at that as describing it would last four threads.
She's much happier now that she gets to be "a dog"
...But she's still the devil.

#44 ·
Maybelline is our rescue dog. She was tossed to the curb and discovered under my son's pickup truck at about 6 weeks or less.
At the time my son lived about a mile from an Indian reservation. My wife checked with them and they said they had at least two feral packs there. We call her our res dog or the desert dingo.

With our old boy Kazar before he left us...

With our new Shepherd Miss Molly now...
Maybelline is special and she knows she was rescued without a doubt.

And thanks for this thread so we can see all these beautiful saved dogs and cats.
We are picking up a rescue cat at Best Friends in Utah next week.

#50 · (Edited)
This is Max. He came to us from a shelter at Kingston, NC. Max was terribly emanicated, hardworm positive and sick with several kinds of parasites when we met him. We adopted him in 2005 when he was approx. 1/12 yrs old. Max showed obvious signs of past abuse and it took him 2 years to finally daring to ask for affection from us. We gave him as much time as he needed loving him at his own comfort level. He is now a cuddle bear who has found his comfortable place in this family. We are so amazed at the transformation in him over the years.

This is Lexie. She came to us from the Humane Society at Gaffney, SC in 2005. She was approx 2 1/2 yrs old then. Lexie was obviously severely abused in her past life to the point where she did not dare to move. She would not walk straight up to us but crawl toward us anytime we called her. However, she quickly recognized that her new environment was safe and so she learned to trust us and express herself as the she was meant to...expressing a need for love, her right to go potty and move about. She is such a treasure.

This is Sophie. She came to us from a rescue group in Columbia, SC. Sophie came to us as a puppy. The rescue group saved her in the nick of time from death at a shelter. She already had the paint spot on her forehead which marked her for death the next round of killing at the kill shelter. She is a happy-go-lucky amazingly sweet treasure.
We are so fortunate to have crossed their paths. Each one, with their own unique personalities brings many smiles and laughter to our family. So precious.

All of them together

#52 ·
This our rescue dog, Heidi. She was found wandering the streets of Oakland and was there in the animal shelter when she was rescued by the German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California. We met her at a "meet and greet" at Petfood Express in Redwood City and were just going to keep her overnight before she went on to her foster family in Napa. But she ended up staying with us and we're VERY glad she did!

She's been a challenge with her dog reactivity, separation anxiety, and fear issues, but she's come a long way and we get compliments on her constantly when we have her out and about!

Here she is the first day we got her, sad and scared (and only 48 lbs!):

Having fun at Fort Funston, where she did really well with the other GSDs from the forum:

And here she is 3-1/2 years later, a little gray around the muzzle but a very happy girl--with her very own portrait that my neighbor painted of the above photo!

#55 ·
My Jax from Griffin Pond Animal Shelter

February 2008

Last summer

All three girls..

Banshee (fawn)- 12 year old (BYB) threw up worms on my carpet at 6 weeks old that almost killed her to deworm
Sierra (reverse brindle)- 5 year old (BYB) weighed 4 lbs at 9 weeks old. Runt of the litter and never separated to eat.Vet said she would have been dead in a week. Nothing but bone and scabs.
Jax - Wild child from shelter above

#57 ·
Here is Klaus. We "rescued" him from a backyard breeder listed on a popular local community website. I say "rescued, because we paid the asking price for him. I was, and still am, more than happy to have done this. I truely feel that he may not have fallen into such a caring and animal loving house as he did if we didn't grab him. Currenly he is a little under weight, missing fur from fleas/puppy nipping, had his dose of de-worming today, and is scheduled for a flea bath obtained from the family vet tonight. He weighed in at 4.5 lbs. The vet confirms what I originally thought, he is about 5-6 weeks old. Absolutely breaks my heart that someone would allow a baby to become flea ridden and worm infested :(

The other fella is Paco. He's a rescue from the SPCA. More like a dog than a cat. Sometime I'll post up the video of him playing fetch. Paco is my little buddy!

#59 ·
Krytene you have done an amazing job. Thank you for rescuing these two babies.

#61 ·
I love reading all these stories and seeing the before and after pictures. It's brings tears to my eyes to see how beautiful each and every dog looks after receiving some loving care. Thanks to everyone who has worked through so many issues with their rescue. I know how difficult that is and how much patience it requires of you.

#62 ·
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.