Westminster was AMAZING! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 130
Default Westminster was AMAZING!

This is one of my non GSD-centric posts, so I apologize in advance.

Watching the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in New York was a dream come true. We got to Madison Square Garden an hour before the show and walked around the benching area, looking at the upcoming Working Group winners being prepped. Saw the Leonberger sound asleep, and the Giant and Standard Schnauzer getting groomed. Prior to going in, we saw a lot of dogs being loaded up for their trips home, where I got to pet a gorgeous Tibetan Mastiff.

Some behind the scenes stuff: The emcee (the guy you hear every year on TV) was rehearsing with the camera people and lighting people on the floor, and when he would announce "And now the winner of the Hound Group, Dog Number Zero!" a production assistant would run around the floor (the audience, in the spirit of fun, cheered for the production assistant). One geeky fact--those boxes you see with the breed name on the floor have a removable cover, and prior to the next group, they just lift the cover and there's the breed name for the following group. Very efficient.

The White Bull Terrier bitch (the "Target" dog) in the Terrier Group had my favorite moment at WKC--she was absolutely RIVETED by some smell on the ground during her turn in front of the Group Judge; the dog planted her front feet, nose to the carpet, and in true terrier fashion, would. not. move. The crowd was roaring, and as I have great experience with humiliation from a naughty dog (yes, I'm looking at YOU, Athena), she instantly became my favorite terrier. The handler started cracking up, and had an expression like "What are you gonna do?", receiving consoling pats from handlers on either side of her when she finally managed to get the terrier back to their box. The impish little girl wasn't done; she barked her head off the whole rest of the Terrier Group competition, jumping in joy and wagging her white whip of a tail. Loved it.

During Best in Show, we screamed our voices gone (seriously, we probably drowned out David Frei) for the fluffdorable Old English Sheepdog SWAGGER. What a pup (literally--he's only 20 months!). Swagger didn't go home empty-handed; he won Best In Show Reserve, which is new this year. It's essentially runner up, I guess if the winner can't fulfill his/her duties? Anyway. We really thought that the German Wirehair Pointer had it in the bag, but NOPE. Another Toy Group winner this year (the Affenpinscher) got the cup. We didn't agree with the winner, but neither of us yelled that the American Foxhound was robbed or call the victor an "Assenpincher" like the guy in front of us. Hahaha. Classic. I passed out a few cards for my book; not as many as I had hoped, but it really was too crowded to really talk to people. Enjoy the photos of my dream come true!
Attached Thumbnails
Westminster was AMAZING!-cat-msg-021213.jpg   Westminster was AMAZING!-me-mom-wkc.jpg  
ShepherdGirl_A Dog Story is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Bear GSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,236
Default

I watched the last day for the "Best in Show". My family kept yelling at me to change the channel, so I had to go back and forth between commercials. I don't know why, but I loved watching it, I guess I'm a dog lover period and just love watching all of the dogs take their turns.

I too was surprised that they announced that Swagger, the Old English Sheep Dog was the Reserve Best in Show winner, he's from Colorado Springs, so I was excited about that.

I had to laugh at your "assenpincher" comment. One day I would like to go to Westminster, but I bet the real excitement is at all of the hotels where the dogs are staying at
__________________
Bear GSD 10/16/11
Elsa GSD 12/23/03 - 11/10/11
Bear GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Stosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: tyler texas
Posts: 9,475
Default

My mom used to show our Norwegian Elkhounds at Westminster almost every year. Since we lived in CT, all of us went many times. It was always so much fun. I happened to look up the premium for Westminster and they had the cut off date for entries or when they received 3200. I agree with you about the results!
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Daisy&Lucky's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,433
Default

That would be so cool! I told hubby next year is our 15th wedding anniversary and its on the Feb 6th ,2014,so I want tickets for the the Westminster Show. I will spend two days in the piers and in the benching area and meet a plotthound and a Beauceron and a... .Oh okay got a little carried away. I am very happy you had fun. I was cheering for the Fox hound in best in show as well but in hounds I was cheering for that handsome Norwegian, Bjorn. I met him and his handler this summer. He is so sweet. Sounds like a great time was had by you and your mom.Did Athena get a something from Westminster?
__________________
Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12-

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
I watched the last day for the "Best in Show". My family kept yelling at me to change the channel, so I had to go back and forth between commercials. I don't know why, but I loved watching it, I guess I'm a dog lover period and just love watching all of the dogs take their turns.

I too was surprised that they announced that Swagger, the Old English Sheep Dog was the Reserve Best in Show winner, he's from Colorado Springs, so I was excited about that.

I had to laugh at your "assenpincher" comment. One day I would like to go to Westminster, but I bet the real excitement is at all of the hotels where the dogs are staying at
Hoo yes-I bet the hotels are dens of intrigue and gossip! By the people too! (rim shot cymbal crash)
ShepherdGirl_A Dog Story is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Bear GSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdGirl_A Dog Story View Post
Hoo yes-I bet the hotels are dens of intrigue and gossip! By the people too! (rim shot cymbal crash)
I think maybe you found a topic for your next book?
__________________
Bear GSD 10/16/11
Elsa GSD 12/23/03 - 11/10/11
Bear GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
That would be so cool! I told hubby next year is our 15th wedding anniversary and its on the Feb 6th ,2014,so I want tickets for the the Westminster Show. I will spend two days in the piers and in the benching area and meet a plotthound and a Beauceron and a... .Oh okay got a little carried away. I am very happy you had fun. I was cheering for the Fox hound in best in show as well but in hounds I was cheering for that handsome Norwegian, Bjorn. I met him and his handler this summer. He is so sweet. Sounds like a great time was had by you and your mom.Did Athena get a something from Westminster?
Oh you should go for sure. It's an experience. Um. No I did not get Athena anything
ShepherdGirl_A Dog Story is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
My mom used to show our Norwegian Elkhounds at Westminster almost every year. Since we lived in CT, all of us went many times. It was always so much fun. I happened to look up the premium for Westminster and they had the cut off date for entries or when they received 3200. I agree with you about the results!
Small world--do you happen to know Dr. Robert Indeglia? He judged BIS in 2007 (he put up James the Springer) and he is big into Elkhounds. He's the father of a high school classmate of mine. I was told I could go try and find him and say hello, but I would have acted like I was meeting a rock star and would have embarrassed myself.
ShepherdGirl_A Dog Story is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
I think maybe you found a topic for your next book?
Ha! "As the Kennel Turns"
ShepherdGirl_A Dog Story is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,673
Default

I watched it was was rooting for the Old English Sheepdog.

OMG one camera shot of the guy taking the Affenpinscher around the ring reminded me of the MOVIE best in show, with the guy who had two left feet?

The guy even looked like Eugene Levy!

I can't say who should have won or not, I don't know all the breeds and dog's conformation very well, I basically go on the 'cuteness' factor.

I PVR'd it, I love learning about the different breeds.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com