"Bring out the Herding Group, pleaaase..." - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Bring out the Herding Group, pleaaase..."

I'm so excited for The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show next week, aka my other Super Bowl.

I'm especially excited, because this year, I'm taking my mom to New York City to Madison Square Garden to watch the second day, including Best in Show live!

For all of you who read my book, you'll remember that my mom was really only a "cat-person".... until she met Athena. Not only did my mom start watching Westminster (and any dog program) with me over the phone, she now has a dog of her own. His name is Charlie, and he's an enormous male Rough Collie (think Lassie mixed with Paul Bunyan) from Collie Rescue of Virginia (yay!). My mom is also my informal publicist, so I'm bringing up small cards advertising Shepherd Girl, because she WILL tell anyone in a four-foot radius about it.

The Herding Group will actually be on Monday night, and I'll be rooting for GCH CH Babheim's Captain Crunch (Capi) to win his group again this year. I'm temporarily putting aside my bias for German-bred GSDs, so if you fall on either side, please don't yell at me.

I'll be posting photos here and reporting how it went, including if we had to stomp through two feet of snow

Have a great week guys--to all of you in the Northeast, good luck with the storm.

Cat
ShepherdGirl_A Dog Story is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am super excited for the Westminster Kennel Club Show.. I watch it every year! I just love watching all the different dogs, checking out thew new breeds and watching the dogs strut their stuff.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is my only super bowl. (Browns fan) I watch it every year and Lucky and I will share popcorn and he will probably once again get excited and look behind the TV for that dog!

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, I love to watch it, but then again I've been going to dog shows since I was 12 years old (that would be 45 years now, yikes).

I also have American show lines, so of course I'm interested! Plus, Charles Trotter is the Herding Group judge, and he gave my Carly Best of Breed this past fall, over two specials (that are now grand champions). His words to my handler? "she is one **** of a mover!".

I want to watch the actual breed judging online (streaming). Jimmy Moses is judging GSDs, at 10:30 am I believe. Galaxy, which is a full brother to Carly's dam, is one of the GSDs that was invited.

This should be fun!

(and I'm not going to let the ASL neigh sayers ruin my party, LOL. You guys, let us have our fun. )

Carly ~ AKC Ch, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ future show dog
Zelda ~ 14 yo puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

I usually watch the show just cuz I enjoy seeing the dogs. Although I'm a die hard working line person, I have to say the GSD, Capi, looked confident and that made me happy. Handsome dog.
Sue
justde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
I am super excited for the Westminster Kennel Club Show.. I watch it every year! I just love watching all the different dogs, checking out thew new breeds and watching the dogs strut their stuff.
Me too! And I've loved it for years, even back when it was on obscure channels and no one knew which channel it was on.
ShepherdGirl_A Dog Story is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justde View Post
I usually watch the show just cuz I enjoy seeing the dogs. Although I'm a die hard working line person, I have to say the GSD, Capi, looked confident and that made me happy. Handsome dog.
Sue
I LOVED Capi. Unfortunately, he won't be competing this year. I'm not sure if it's because Jimmy is judging or what, but he was the top Herding dog again in 2012. I'll miss seeing him, but I'm sure the breed winner will be gorgeous just the same!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you want to watch live judging of the GSDS, you can see it streaming on Westminster's web site. The Westminster Kennel Club | Live!

Ring 6 at 10:30 (Eastern time, which is in about 5 minutes). Border Collies show first - there are 19 entered, and then the GSDs show - there are 22 entered. Jimmy Moses is judging both breeds.

Carly ~ AKC Ch, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ future show dog
Zelda ~ 14 yo puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Well, I love to watch it, but then again I've been going to dog shows since I was 12 years old (that would be 45 years now, yikes).

I also have American show lines, so of course I'm interested! Plus, Charles Trotter is the Herding Group judge, and he gave my Carly Best of Breed this past fall, over two specials (that are now grand champions). His words to my handler? "she is one **** of a mover!".

I want to watch the actual breed judging online (streaming). Jimmy Moses is judging GSDs, at 10:30 am I believe. Galaxy, which is a full brother to Carly's dam, is one of the GSDs that was invited.

This should be fun!

(and I'm not going to let the ASL neigh sayers ruin my party, LOL. You guys, let us have our fun. )
Yes Jimmy's judging--is that why Capi didn't go this year? WOW! That is so exciting about Carly!!! Will Carly ever get to her Gch and compete?? I'm going to be watching at 10:30 too. Megan, Athena's (scary) breeder actually for a while had one of Jimmy's dogs at her kennel. She knows and respects the Moses..es (?) haha. Anyway, thanks for the inside info. I love being able to geek out and "talk dogs" as most people I know glaze over like a windshield if I get going. You're probably the only person I know who would find this exciting: a friend from high school's dad is going to be there. He judged BIS and put up James the Springer Spaniel in 2007. He said if I can find him to go say hello. I said for me it would be like meeting a rock star. Okay back to the show...
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
If you want to watch live judging of the GSDS, you can see it streaming on Westminster's web site. The Westminster Kennel Club | Live!

Ring 6 at 10:30 (Eastern time, which is in about 5 minutes). Border Collies show first - there are 19 entered, and then the GSDs show - there are 22 entered. Jimmy Moses is judging both breeds.
Watching now!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.