My Sentinel: Athena and my recent surgery - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Sentinel: Athena and my recent surgery

Hey Gang-
I had to share this story with a German shepherd forum, because I figure that you all are the ones who will nod your heads in recognition the most. I know dogs are world-famous for their loyalty. But I believe German Shepherd Dogs take this quality to a whole other level. I would love to read any similar stories you have!

Last weekend, I kept feeling an intermittent pain in my right side. Athena, who normally sits on my right on “our” couch, wouldn’t stop sniffing at my side. I thought it was a muscle strain. She knew otherwise. I went to my doctor for a routine physical Monday and casually mentioned the flaring burning above my hip. The doctor ordered me a CAT scan, and it was discovered that my appendix was enlarged. I saw an internist/surgeon for a second opinion on Wednesday who decreed that I should check into the ER. Immediately. So Wednesday night, I had my appendix removed; thankfully, it hadn’t ruptured (yet).

When I was discharged from the hospital, a very anxious fuzzy nurse was waiting for me. For the next week, Athena strayed no further than two feet from me. If she was further away than two feet, it was because she was on her blanket monitoring the front door and window, on full alert, lying like a sphinx, her ears pricked, her eyes watchful. Any noise outside my house caused her to spring up, roaring at the front door. As far as she was concerned, any stranger needed to be warned—my mommy is hurt. BACK OFF.

My regular dog walker came, and Athena had to be physically manhandled away from me out for her walk; she kept pulling back to me, whining. My dog walker said that Athena did her business in the first few seconds outside but then kept trying to turn back to the house. It was a fight during the whole walk, and Athena practically dragged my poor walker to the ground on their way back home. My dog walker said she had never seen anything like it.

Athena also understood after only once, that when I asked her to come and “stand” she was to stand immobile, allowing me to use the back of her neck and shoulders to push myself up from either the bed or couch. We must have done that at least ten times; I wouldn’t have been able to get up by myself those first few days without her. She kept attempting to groom my incisions, but she stopped when I gently pushed her muzzle away, explaining that I was sore. The remainder of my convalescence she stared at me with a tender, worried expression that belied any foolish belief a person might have that animals do not feel compassion.

I have never felt so loved or protected by another creature, and as unbelievable as it sounds, that would include my family. As awesome as they all are, Athena’s care was single-minded and entirely focused. The word for her unwavering devotion that kept forming in my head every time I looked at her was this: Sentinel. She was my sentinel. Courageous and true.

Bless her beautiful, brave Shepherd heart.
ShepherdGirl_A Dog Story is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Beautiful story, thanks for sharing

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks for sharing. Hope you are feeling better and soon you and Athena will be back out having adventures.Athena you are a great care giver!
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

What a beautiful heart warming story Athena sounds like an amazing and smart Shepherd

I hope you recover from your surgery quickly.
lzver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Great story, thank you for sharing
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Speedy recovery. Bless our dogs!
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thank you for sharing... what a heartwarming story! Wishing you a speedy recovery with your ever vigilant furry nurse.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Athena sounds like an amazing GSD.
jjmonty82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They are amazing creatures. Hope you are well on your way to healing!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Loved your story! Feel better
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
ShenzisMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.