Vestibular Disease - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Default Vestibular Disease

Just thought I'd post this. I hadn't heard/thought much about it but one of the IMOM dogs might have had an episode:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...r_disease.html

WHAT ON EARTH IS THE VESTIBULAR APPARATUS?

In a nutshell, the vestibular apparatus is the neurological equipment responsible for perceiving one's body's orientation relative to the earth (determining if you are upside-down, standing up straight, falling etc.) and informing ones eyes and extremities how they should move accordingly.

The vestibular apparatus allows us to walk, even run, on very uneven ground without falling, helps us know when we need to right ourselves, and allows our eyes to follow moving objects without becoming dizzy.
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Vestibular Disease

Too had episodes of vestibular disease the last two or three years of her life. She ended up in the hospital once, the other episodes were short, maybe 15 or 20 minutes, I always held her until the symptoms subsided and she was steady on her feet.

Her eyes would look like they were sucked into her head, she'd keel over (I believe it was to the left), she had head tilts, and then after a few minutes, it would slowly be over. They never could determine exactly what was causing it (and from what I understand, even if they figured it out there wasn't anything they could do for it).

I always thought that in some ways it's similar to vertigo in humans.

Mansha's I'll Be Siri Us Too - 12/22/90 - 6/13/03
Old 09-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It can also appear in puppies. I had one pup eons ago that had it. If it does go away and the tilt goes away, it can still reoccur from what I was told.
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2007, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

My shep x that I just lost had a nasty round of this disease in late May. I didn't know what it was and thought he was a goner. My vet told me that it would take some intense effort at his age but he thought he could pull through. He was disoriented - walk was very wobbly as if he'd been drinking canine Budweiser, head tilt to the side, sort of a vague look in the eyes, and just "off" in terms of orientation. After a couple weeks of slow recovery, he got better but it was effort - had to hold food and water for him for the first few days. My vet told me that basically, the whole world in his view was upside down, that it wouldn't change, but that he would relearn how to cope. I think a lot of dogs that suffer this get put down as the symptoms are scary - thank God for good veterinarians!
Samantha, Doberman
Magnum, Shep mix, RIP 8-20-07
Lynnemd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had a dog who had an episode of this when she was 9. It did not last long and adjusted with no problems. Was scary at the time though!!!!
Home of Canada's No.1 High in Trial Herding German Shepherds
Ashten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A friend's dog had several episodes in the last three years of her life (She recently passed at 16+), the last left her with a sideways walk and a bit of a tilt.
She did however keep her happy spirit!

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Barb E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

this is a really scary thing to watch in your dog. Lando had it once. it cleared with time, but wow, those eyes flitting back and forth and the not being able to walk- creepy creepy creepy.

Lando also had something that looked just like this without the eye nystagmus that turned out to be flagyl related. over-use of flagyl can cause neurological problems. just as scary.

Paige

Quest (I Bailey's Quest von Grafenstein)
Bailey 3yo Great Labrahoula

At the bridge:

Lando - run free my sweet girl - you are always with me
Simon, Harper, Chestnut - always know you are loved
LandosMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Sneaker had it, about 2 months before her 14th birthday. We thought she'd had a stroke and rushed her to the vet thinking it was the end. Our vet knew immediately what it was. She spent several days in the hospital and when she came home she was still pretty bad. It took weeks to fully recover, but she only lived about 8 months longer.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Cassidys Mom,

Magnum went through the same. I was so upset taking him to the vet as I was sure this time, this was it. He sent him home immediately but told me I would be doing some intensive nursing.
I literally slept on the patio with him as he was so disoriented, I knew it would be tough to get him outside to use the grass. I wondered if my other two dogs would opt to stay in or join us - we were all out there together! LOL
After three nights out there, he was well enough to come inside but had that sort of walk forward and to the left that someone else noted. I lost him last month, three months later.
As an unrelated aside, your photo entry was adorable.
Samantha, Doberman
Magnum, Shep mix, RIP 8-20-07
Lynnemd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Qyn
Knighted Member

Many vets call this a stroke when it isn't - strokes in canines are not common and I've read that it is rare due to a mechanism in the circulatory system in canines (can't remember what it is called) that prevents either clots occuring or, if they occur, getting to the brain. I had a client whose 15yo GR (Hunna) had a number (5) of these episodes with the exact same symptoms and until a new locum at her vet said it was vestibular disease, she was always told it was a stroke. Many dogs get PTS by owners given this diagnosis, as the owner thinks in the terms of the effect of a stroke on a human.

It is scary to see. I had another client with a JR mix (Bernie) who called into my house on the way home from the vet after his second episode and the eye flickering was the reason she realised what was going on - both dogs made full recoveries although Hunna was at 15yo showing signs of senility anyway.

GSD - Quynne, born 29 sept 2004
MalteseXPoodle - Buddy, adopted Jan 2004 - RIP 14 May, 2009 9-11yo
Galah - Birdie-girl - adopted in 1999 when she was approx 12yo
Qyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.