German Shepherds Forum banner

I guess I should be thankful

10K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  kelbonc 
#1 ·
Bud is going to be 14 in August.
When I brought him home at 11 months old I was not thinking of the future, I was just saving his life.
He isn't what I would call a pet. Companion, guardian, watcher, but not a pet.
His teeth have always been bad, just one of those dogs. A year or so ago we ran a round of antibiotics to kill of the infection he had. It worked but it looks like it's back. He has been getting a bit weak in his back legs, but still loves to bounce around and play.
Today I was out in the yard with him and he was visibly dragging his one leg after just a few minutes of play, and struggling to stand. So I guess his other one isn't so great either.
A few weeks ago I noticed what looks suspiciously like a small tumor on his stomach, he has had lumps in a few spots for a while.
I have thought this all through. He is eating, relieving himself, playing and happy. I am not going to do anything. If he makes it through the summer I will put him down in the fall, but there will be no vet visits, no biopsies, no treatments and no drugs. I do have Metacam for him if he needs, but that's it.
I know some of you will disagree, but I feel at this point anything I do would be for me not him. He is mostly deaf and mostly blind as well. I don't know what is wrong with his back legs, and I don't want to.
I think 14 is a grand age, and the way I see it I bought him 13 years he wasn't supposed to get. I love the big moose, he's my guy. We've spent a lot of years rubbing along together, and now I can't image what it's going to be like without that big head knocking me around.
It was kind of a sad day.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been there, and have done what you're doing. I have no regrets. Just enjoy that big guy while you still have him.

#4 ·
I would suggest turmeric, it will ease any pain or soreness he might have. It's not mefication but natural. It also has been known to shrink tumors. As long as he is on no other medicine there is nothing to counter act with it.

#5 ·
I completely agree Sabis. At one point I promise them no more vet visits, no more poking, no more nervousness on the way to the vet (avoiding routes along the vet clinic) but just enjoying a good as possible life until it's at its end. Wishing you and him a few more good months together and strength when you need it.

#6 ·
He's a good dog. Always has been. Bit of a jerk, and he's nailed me a couple of times. But he has always been there to watch over us all. He has destroyed countless toys, sent dozens of stuffies to early graves, marked on everything I own and busted several gates. But I love him.
When the guy broke into the house, he destroyed his crate to get out and protect us. When the scary guy was banging on the door he stood rock solid and unflinching in between us and the door for 20 very long minutes until the police arrived. When the junkies kicked in the front door he broke yet another crate. And when Sabi died, he rested his big head in my lap and grieved right along with me. Through a million upheavals and curves, he has been my rock. Never wavering, never changing, just there at my side.
He is the last of his line. He was the end result of a breeding program started and ended by a man who was a friend, boss, mentor and father figure to me. He was a gift to me, a last gift. He was Sabi's best pal, her partner in crime. They were together a long time.
His passing will be the end of an era for me. Bittersweet.

#8 ·
It's never easy having them age :( Big hugs to you and 14 years is nothing to sniff at that's for sure

#10 ·
I'm sorry the day you realize the issues they face are mounting and the bounce backs are not leading them back to where they have always been is shocking and so hard. Fourteen years is a wonderful number most don't get too however its never long enough. Enjoy your time. Give Bud a hug from me.

Reactions: charger
#11 ·
Sabi,so sad for you.I agree with your decision.No reason to put our companions through **** trying to extend their time with us.Spoil em and make their last years,months,days as happy and comfortable as possible.Hugs for you and Bud.

#12 ·
This is the time we all dread but all we can do is what is best. When my last GSD turned 14 he also had very bad teeth. The vet had me go ahead and put him on baby aspirin and it seemed to help a lot. The vet pretty much let me know that any concern about the baby aspirin was negated because Smoke was in his last few months. He said he could do tests and try different medications but didn't recommend it. He said lets stop the pain and discomfort and your job is to enjoy each week with your pup to its fullest.

With mine - he was fine one day and just couldn't get up the next morning. It appeared that his hip socket had totally collapsed so he was at the vet and pts within a couple of hours.

Your plan sounds very sound and shows that you are placing what's best for him first. Give your guy a hug for me.:hug:

#13 ·
14 years is a beautiful age for any large dog. We are going through the same thing with our cat. He is 19 he has a growth in his tail that was removed and came back. He is to weak and frail to have it removed again. We just check on it and make sure our cat peanut is comfortable and eating and is not in any extreme discomfort. He is staying strong.

#14 ·
When I posted this I expected some backlash.

Thank you all for the support, he really is a good dog.

Llombardo, I have been reading about Turmeric and I can pick some up but I need to make sure that it is safe with the Metacam in case I need it, and figure out how much to give a 90lb dog. He also gets coconut oil with every meal as that seems to help with some of his issues and I need to make sure that the two won't do anything strange if combined. I can't see why they would, but one never knows.

#16 ·
Plan was to let him have this summer.

But .....

Now he can't eat. Gets the runs, tried a bland diet and will try fasting for a day. I suspect a not happy outcome to this. And one of his old man elbow callouses looks to be infected, I am putting polysporin on it daily. He is losing condition and very unsteady.

I am thinking maybe it's time to call the game.:crying:

#20 ·
We were the same with our boy. He was off 2 days before he died of hemangiosarcoma, but was starting to have a rough go with arthritis. It comes down to a quality of life issue, we didn't pursue differential diagnosis's, we just wanted to make sure his pain was managed and enjoyed every second we had with him. It's hard to make the decision to do what's best for your best buddy....but it's what's best for him. Enjoy every second with him while he's doing well. Give him a cuddle and a special treat for me. 14 years is a great age. A lifetime isn't enough when you love your dogs like we do.

#22 ·
I am so sorry the time is near. You and he shared a full life together.

Aside from some supplements, I also did nothing to prolong our old girls life as she was near 15 yr old. She passed fully knowing that she was/is still loved.

He knows this of you.

Reactions: Sabis mom
#24 ·
Odd that this is good news but Shadow is sick now as well. And both showed improvement today. Either something that was in the yard or a bad batch of food. Yard has been sprayed with bleach, crates, bowls, toys and bedding all cleaned or tossed, food exchanged for a new bag from a different batch.

However, I have done some serious soul searching over the past few days.
Bud is old. He is showing a lot of back end weakness, wobbling and stumbling. He is a giant ball of infections, his mouth, his elbows, sores on his tummy probably from pee that I can never get to fast enough. His eyesight is almost gone, he is deaf. He shows signs of confusion and is now losing condition. The old dog cysts have come to stay and I still think that thing on his stomach is a tumor.
This dog is losing quality of life quickly. At this point, unless we make a drastic turn around in the next few days, I am making the appointment for next week.

#27 ·
Odd that this is good news but Shadow is sick now as well. And both showed improvement today. Either something that was in the yard or a bad batch of food. Yard has been sprayed with bleach, crates, bowls, toys and bedding all cleaned or tossed, food exchanged for a new bag from a different batch.

However, I have done some serious soul searching over the past few days.
Bud is old. He is showing a lot of back end weakness, wobbling and stumbling. He is a giant ball of infections, his mouth, his elbows, sores on his tummy probably from pee that I can never get to fast enough. His eyesight is almost gone, he is deaf. He shows signs of confusion and is now losing condition. The old dog cysts have come to stay and I still think that thing on his stomach is a tumor.
This dog is losing quality of life quickly. At this point, unless we make a drastic turn around in the next few days, I am making the appointment for next week.

Ugh. :crying:
I am crossing my fingers for the turn around. And although there is no real way to say something enlightening to this, I am thankful that IF Bud has to leave you, that at least he leaves based on the decision of his aging health problems and not the prior circumstance. For you and him.
Feel free to call me tomorrow if you need a shoulder.
Big hug:hugs:

Reactions: Traveler's Mom
#28 ·
So very sorry, Sabismom, I hope that Bud will do a turnaround and be with you for a while yet. My wish is that he will just go peacefully in his sleep one night and you will be spared making the decision.

If Bud does start to feel a little stronger, I know of a product that might help his elbow. When my yellow Lab, Max, was very elderly, the calluses on his elbows just broke down so that they looked like raw meat. I talked to his vet who told me that there really wasn't much that could be done, it was just one of the things that often happened to dogs as they got older. But I went online and found a product called Canine Angels and sent away for it. When a dog has them on, it kind of looks like they are wearing shorts. It consists of two sleeves which come down over the dog's elbows attached by a strap that goes over their back. I kept them on Max all the time except when I took them off to throw them in the wash and his elbows cleared up completely. The vet was astonished when he saw them.

I think there may be other companies now selling a similar product, but here is the link. You may be talented enough to even make something along those lines, I tried to but was not very successful.

Welcome to Canine Angels, Inc! Slip-on, easy care Elbow Pads for your dog's comfort and protection!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.