German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   The Senior Dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/senior-dog/)
-   -   Heidi has a lump, am I a terrible dog owner? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/senior-dog/481353-heidi-has-lump-am-i-terrible-dog-owner.html)

Bridget 08-19-2014 10:45 AM

Heidi has a lump, am I a terrible dog owner?

Heidi is 13 and doing well for her age I think, but somewhat in decline due to arthritis/HD. We are dealing with the rollercoaster of good day and bad days. I found a small lump on her chest, almost between her front legs a couple of weeks ago. It was about the size and consistency of a mosquito bite. Next day I couldn't find it, so forgot about it. Recently, I felt the lump again and it seemed a tiny bit larger to me. It does not seem to be bothering her in any way, does not seem to be painful, nor is it impairing her movement. I have decided not to call the vet. I figure taking her in would result in one of the following scenarios:

1. The vet would say it is nothing, just a fatty cyst and just keep an eye on it. Result: Heidi would go through the stress of going and I would be out about $50.
2. They would want to do a biopsy. Result: Heidi would be more stressed. I would be out about $100 (or more) and either:
a. it would turn out to be nothing, just keep an eye on it, or
b. cancer would be diagnosed and I would reject treatment

The thing is that I wouldn't embrace cancer treatment at Heidi's age, so I am thinking why go looking for trouble? I figure I will keep an eye on the lump and if it begins to be a problem to Heidi, we will take it from there. Does that make sense or does it sound like a terrible idea?

my boy diesel 08-19-2014 10:47 AM

your plan is exactly what I would do on a GSD that is 13

Mister C 08-19-2014 10:57 AM

You are NOT a terrible dog owner. Please don't even think that way.

You are a realist that is doing the best she can taking care of a loved one while maintaining the best quality of life for Heidi that you can provide.

I made similar decisions for my old girl Maddie before I had to PTS. She also had HD and arthritis and had a long slow decline.

Nigel 08-19-2014 11:24 AM

Sounds reasonable to me, just do what you think is best.

wyoung2153 08-19-2014 11:25 AM

You are not terrible at all. That is what I and most others would do at her age. The likelihood is that it is jsut a cyst anyways.. that would be my guess. My parent's 14 y/o lab/BC mix has them ALL over and in the beginning we took him in but now they just leave it.. he's too old to be going through all that.

IMO you are doing better by her doing it this way and she would appreciate that :)

my boy diesel 08-19-2014 11:56 AM

if the testing is not going to affect the outcome
that is if it is a bad thing and needs removed you would not remove it due to her age
then it is fine to monitor it and make a decision later if things come to that
but for now just monitor
its all good :)

Bridget 08-19-2014 12:08 PM

Thank you so much. Guess I just needed validation.

my boy diesel 08-19-2014 12:16 PM

btw a fatty tumor feels soft and squishy and somewhat movable as opposed to hard and painful or immovable

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 08-19-2014 04:04 PM

Bridget I agree w/ your plan exactly.

katieliz 08-19-2014 04:33 PM

me too!!! it's unanimous, lolol...good job heidi's mom!!!