German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   The Senior Dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/senior-dog/)
-   -   Has anyone tried acupuncture (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/senior-dog/414618-has-anyone-tried-acupuncture.html)

holland 02-22-2014 11:07 AM

Has anyone tried acupuncture

Has anyone tried acupuncture with their dogs and do you feel that it was helpful?

LoveDogs 02-22-2014 11:20 AM

I have. I think it's helpful and the best part is that it doesn't have any ill effect on medications you may be giving. I think that it's worth a shot. How I looked at it initially: if it doesn't work then I didn't lose anything except money and I had the satisfaction of trying.

holland 02-22-2014 11:22 AM

That was kind of my thought too-and like the fact that its not medication-however she's on that as well

LoveDogs 02-22-2014 11:30 AM

I sincerely hope you get great results. It's certainly not a cure all but it is a great supplement in my opinion.

JeanKBBMMMAAN 02-22-2014 11:39 AM

I have used it for anxiety/stress in a dog. In 3 sessions he was back to normal. He would sleep so deeply after the session. He was a very sensitive dog.

My one foster got it during her HW treatment to try to calm her down - not much happened there! Maybe not enough sessions (probably would have needed to have the needless permanently implanted ;) ).

I have seen a paralyzed dog (from puppyhood - door fell on her supposedly) be able to move her tail and support herself better after a multitude of sessions. No walking or anything like that, but no getting worse and some improvement.

I am not sure what the use is in this situation so not sure if this helps.

For my senior right now we started Adequan in November (I think it was) for her arthritis/back/hips/wrists. Definitely improvement there! If I were closer to Thera-vet in Webster I would want to go there for some underwater treadmill sessions. She went a few years back after a weird (scary) back episode and it seemed to really help.

holland 02-22-2014 11:45 AM

She has arthritis and possible dm -weakness in her rear -had auto immune issues in the fall-I am taking her to East river in Rochester

Nigel 02-22-2014 11:59 AM

Ranger is recovering from a TPLO surgery and sees a physical therapist. Last week we thought he may have injured "the leg", he definitely changed his gate. We took him to PT and they did acupuncture instead of the water treadmill and massage and it worked well. He had tensed up in that leg and the acupuncture loosened him up. He walked as good as he was able to earlier in the week. I'm a believer.

JeanKBBMMMAAN 02-22-2014 11:59 AM

:( I hope it's not. Sometimes spinal things can make your hind end weak - maybe it's that.

You might want to give Dr. Browne at Thera-vet a try. She is a vet PT and can do chiro - I told her she could feel Bella but no adjustments unless she asked for each one, and she was good with that. But I wanted her to use that weird chiro sense of where things were. TheraVet - Rochester Rehab, Equine and Canine Health Care They sometimes get a little nutty with their modality recommendations - like "do everything" but you can scale it back. Interesting: Conditions Treated - Conditioning, Pain Management, Injury Diagnostics, Physical Rehabilitation. not sure if those lists are exhaustive or what.

Whatever you do I hope it goes well and shows success.

Cassidy's Mom 02-22-2014 02:11 PM

We used it with Cassidy, and I do think it helped. I didn't go into it with any expectations, I didn't have strong feelings about acupuncture but figured it would either help or it wouldn't, so there was no harm in trying. My husband was more skeptical, but one time, I think it was either later that evening or the next day after a treatment, he asked me how much it cost. I told him, and he said "it was worth it". :)

holland 02-22-2014 04:59 PM

Thanks will post how it goes.