German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   The Senior Dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/senior-dog/)
-   -   What age do you start treating as a Senior????? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/senior-dog/407866-what-age-do-you-start-treating-senior.html)

myshepharley 02-07-2014 08:34 AM

What age do you start treating as a Senior?????

Harley will be 7 in May. When do you start treating them as a Senior? Do you switch their food, add supplements? Just wandering because I see Harley slowing down ALITTLE!!!!! He is on Dasequin right now.

LaRen616 02-07-2014 08:50 AM

I believe 7 is the age they consider an animal to be a senior.

I am not quite there yet but I would probably start joint supplement pills.

LaRen616 02-07-2014 08:56 AM

Supplements for Senior Dogs and Cats - PetMedsĀ®

The following pet supplements may improve your pet's symptoms associated with aging:
  • Omega 3 fatty acids
  • Flower essence pet medications
  • Homeopathic pet medications
  • Calming herbs
  • Pheromones
  • Pet medications that help strengthen the liver and brain

Bridget 02-07-2014 09:26 AM

I've thought about this a lot. For GSDs, I consider them seniors when they reach 9.

Galathiel 02-07-2014 09:33 AM

I would definitely consider them a senior at 9. However, sometimes the individual dog may display some aging even before that. With a large breed, I consider them more of a senior around 7 or 8, depending on how they're doing. My small breed dog I considered a senior when he turned 10, although he didn't really slow down until he was 12. He's 14 now and really showing his age these days.

onyx'girl 02-07-2014 09:36 AM

I agree with around 9....though my 8 yr old is starting to show her age. I don't know if I'll add in any other supplements than I'm already doing now, unless it is for a specific issue. Rawfeeding does help IMO!

holland 02-07-2014 09:49 AM

The vet considers them a senior at 7

misslesleedavis1 02-07-2014 10:42 AM

My parents started treating bailey as a senior at the age of 8, but they did start her on joint supplements at the age of 7, now she is 12 and when she went for her wellness exam the vet said she was in great shape for a 12 year old :) just needed to lose 5 pounds lol but **** she is a senior so yes she gets a few snacks here and there.

Castlemaid 02-07-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 4982010)
Supplements for Senior Dogs and Cats - PetMedsĀ®

The following pet supplements may improve your pet's symptoms associated with aging:
  • Omega 3 fatty acids
  • Flower essence pet medications
  • Homeopathic pet medications
  • Calming herbs
  • Pheromones
  • Pet medications that help strengthen the liver and brain

Where does this list come from? Why in the world would an aging dog need Calming herbs and Pheromones. And how are homeopathics used as a supplement? My understanding of homeopathic medicines is that you use it to treat specific ailments. Not sure how useful they would be as a general broad-range preventative.

My older one is 9 years old now, going on 10. I only started seeing her as a senior in the last little while. She gets joint supplements, I'm seeing a big difference with that. I've also noted she doesn't like being out in the cold as much as she used to, but keep in mind that I'm talking about -30C temperatures.

I never did think of her as a senior when she was seven. She could still run circles around Gryff. :)

LaRen616 02-07-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castlemaid (Post 4983018)
Where does this list come from? Why in the world would an aging dog need Calming herbs and Pheromones. And you don't give homeopathics as a supplement?

It came from the link that I posted above it.