German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   The Senior Dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/senior-dog/)
-   -   Hard to Wake Up my 13 Yr Old (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/senior-dog/405882-hard-wake-up-my-13-yr-old.html)

Cajun 02-03-2014 08:20 AM

Hard to Wake Up my 13 Yr Old

I wondered if anyone with a senior GSD has experienced difficulty in waking up their dog. I came downstairs this morning to take the girls out for their routine walk and I couldn't wake up my 13 yr old. I rubbed her neck, tried opening her eyes, shook her but she wouldn't wake up. Her breathing was very shallow as well. I honestly thought this was it for her. She is deaf having suffered two episodes of vestibular disorder. After about 3 minutes I closed her crate. A few seconds later she woke up and seemed perfectly normal. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JakodaCD OA 02-03-2014 08:26 AM

I have a 14 year old aussie who is now deaf, if she's in a dead sleep,,oh yeah, tough to wake her up. I'm like you, I think, "oh my god shes dead or dying!". She'll wake up and be fine..

I'm sure it has something to do with them being deaf as well in a deep sleep..

Okin 02-03-2014 08:38 AM

By the time my last dog reached that age she didn't like to wake up. I had the same thoughts many times because when she was younger she would wake me up around 13 she was a deep sleeper. I would wake up and get so afraid she wasn't going to get up but she was just in a deep sleep.

Cajun 02-03-2014 08:44 AM

It was pretty scary especially as her eyes were rolled back and her breathing was really shallow. Thank goodness she got up! Thanks for your responses.

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 02-03-2014 11:54 AM

Lucky is about 12 and sometimes to wake him I hav to give him a nudge or apat. It always scares me. Lucky is also a little hard of hearing as well.

Bridget 02-03-2014 01:24 PM

I had the same experience with Heidi just the other day. Normally when I open the bedroom door in the morning, she comes right out. No, she was asleep in her bed. I called her name, shook her, nothing. I thought "oh my God, she's dead," and finally she opened her eyes and struggled to her feet. I sometimes believe Heidi is a bit hard of hearing also. She is 12 1/2. Frightening isn't it??

Cajun 02-03-2014 03:02 PM

Very frightening. We thought she was on the way out! She was outside this morning chasing around after our 17 month old so it looks like she is around for a while :) Here's hoping!

juliejujubean 02-03-2014 03:24 PM

I puppy sat a senior and thought he was dead! I was so scared to tell the owners especially since they were on emergency leave for a funeral :-( luckily he was just super into his sleep. He is deaf but still kicking. He is currently living the life of luxury in Hawaii so not a bad place to spend his final days. ;-)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

arycrest 02-05-2014 09:40 AM

Over the years I've had a couple times when I had a problem waking an elderly Hooligan up ... fortunately they woke up on their own and were fine. It's frightening when it happens.

astrovan2487 05-29-2014 07:39 PM

My 14 yr GSD Shasta has had the same problem recently. She had severe vestibular disorder about a month ago and has almost 100% recovered. I did not think she was going to make it. Wouldn't eat, drink, move on her own, I had to feed her baby food and pedialite with a syringe for a week until she would eat on her own. Now she is fine but her head is still tilted slightly to the right and she sleeps extremely soundly, I usually have to clap loudly or touch her to wake her up.