Anxiety attacks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anxiety attacks

My senior dog (12 yo Australian shepherd) is having anxiety attacks lately. He paces and pants and tries to jump on me and nose me and he whines and barks...general annoying behavior. He is keeping me up at night which is annoying, but my real concern is that he seems to be in mental distress. Clearly he is very upset and he can't seem to do anything to relieve his stress. Last night it started at about 9:30 PM and lasted until 3 in the morning. He was so stressed out for so long I was afraid he was going to have a heart attack. Are there any over the counter drugs or supplements that can help relieve his stress.

Thanks.
Rangers_mom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a 12.5 year old Aussie too. And we are having some cognitive/sort of anxiety issues. He paces a lot. Etc. You could try an pet calming formula. I have used a formula that had
L-Tryptophan as the active ingredient and that worked pretty well. I got it at the local pet store but I know it is used for mild anxiety in humans too so health food stores probably carry it. If it doesn't work, at this age I would not hesitate to talk to a vet to rule out other problems and then talk about prescription meds just so he is not in distress. While anxiety meds are not the greatest, in my opinion at this age it is all about comfort.
Good luck
Old 12-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We've tried Pet Naturals of Vermont - Calming XL. They are natural but I don't know if they'd work for that level of anxiety. We used to have a very old Siamese cat that would howl at night, he seemed very disoriented and was going deaf.

Sounds like sundowners syndrome in humans. Does it only happen at night? If so could you leave a night light on or see if melatonin is safe for dogs?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Even my previously aloof sight hounds became anxious and needy towards the end of their lives; following me everywhere, pacing and panting and a burden to themselves. I started to crate them more frequently to give them a break. But I was never able to calm them. Sorry you and your dog are going through this.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your help. I kind of thought there wasn't much I could do but I thought I would find out if you guys had any advice. I will call the vet.
Rangers_mom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

When our older shepherds started pacing and panting, it was typically because they were in pain. Usually arthritis starting to kick in.

Maybe this is a neurological trait in aging Aussie's?? I'd make a vet appointment.
Sp00ks is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Passion Flower

My GSDs do not have anxiety, but my pit mix has separation anxiety. I started giving him one gel tab of PASSION FLOWER, which you will read, is a natural sedative for people and pets.
But, make sure you clear it with your vet first. It has helped my boy and he looks and feels relaxed. You can buy it at any vitamin store or health food store. No bad side effects.
rjstrotz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.