Severe Urinary and Fecal incontinence - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Severe Urinary and Fecal incontinence

Hi there,
I haven't been on this site in ages, but am at a loss as to what to do to help my geriatric baby. Ellie is 14.5 years old, has degenerative mylopathy and is now having accidents 3-4 times a day inside. I work from home so I am letting her out VERY frequently but the accidents are still happening. I'm talking full on puddles of urine and piles of poop. We have tried meds with no success. The vet did say she has basically no sphincter muscle control left. I'm not sure what to do. I do feel that there is somewhat of a behavioral aspect to this. We have a 13 year old son that Ellie adores, but last year had a baby (unexpectedly! Oops! ). She was fine until the baby started crawling and baby gates went up. I think this really pissed her off because we now have to open the gate for her to come into our main living area. She loves to bark at the gate to go out of the room and then turn back around and bark to come in. I must let her in and out 100 times a day. I feel horrible for disrupting her life at her age (she's my first born) and am wondering if part of this is that she's not happy. Yesterday I caught her squating down to go on a pile of clothes waiting to go downstairs to be washed. She loves to eat diapers so I do not think that doggie diapers would work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I have a call into the vet, but she has been tested for a UTI, etc before and results were normal. Maybe it's just old age and we have to deal with it? Help!
blord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

My senior dog had problems with leaving poop around the house and it was 100% because she had no control and not on purpose.

I'd think about this for the urination:

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Bitter apple or something like that might help keep her from going after the diapers too. If you go with diapers and it works you have to make sure those things get changed quick and you clean her up regularly to avoid rashes and infections.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

It does sound like incontinence - the same thing happened to my mom's dog at age 15 - he literally had no control and we did end up having him PTS (he was also going blind and my mom was an invalid as well). I doubt that it's anything that your dog is doing on purpose - my understanding has always been that dogs don't think that way.
SusiQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

PROIN (prescription RX) has been very helpful with my old dog's urinary incontinence:
01 Phenylpropanolamine (Proin, Propalin) - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.