So sad that our long walks are over - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default So sad that our long walks are over

I took Heidi out to run errands and go for a walk at a wooded trail yesterday. Heidi is 11 and winter has been hard on her. I think it's not the cold as much as not being able to get out a exercise much. She can still wow people with her looks (a guy rolled down his car window to comment on her). And with her attitude, that "not looking for a fight, but won't refuse one" expression. But we walked about half a mile on our trail and she wanted to turn back. I used to urge her on, but now let her decide. Just last November we walked around a lake, four miles, and she was good. I am missing our long walks together.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yep - assuming no transient medical issue, sounds like your dog is winding down. We just went through this with a 13 y/o pitbull. Used to love two laps of the park, then late last fall made it clear by stopping at the gate and looking to the car that one lap was enough. She had congestive heart failure and the exercise became too much - we had her put down with perfect timing (not too soon, or too late). The dog knows. Her treat appetite fell off, too, during this period. Good luck with a difficult process that you can lighten somewhat with the the knowledge your dog had the best possible life. All dogs (and people) should be so lucky.

Then you can do what we did - run out and get two new adult dogs at the same time to fill your canine gap.
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It sucks when they get old. Just enjoy every minute you have with her. They get old way to fast

Last edited by Loneforce; 02-17-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know how that is,mine is 10 1/2 and he's usually done at about 2 1/2 -3mile, he lets me know when he's had enough he just keeps looking up at me like (are we done yet mommy) when it gets hot he doesn't even want to go outside, he's like me we love the cold
Apoolutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you had the vet check her to ensure there's not a medical problem causing this fairly sudden slowdown in activity? Do you have her on any type of arthritis medication like Dasuquin ... sometimes something simple like this can help seniors who become inactive.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What helped for me and my senior dog (my Aussie) was to change the whole walking plan. When the days of the long walks were over, I switched to short easy flat walks - I would even drive to the park or favorite spot. And to make it easier for my dog to jump in the backseat - I would push and fold in the pasenger front seat and park real close to the curb so it was easier for him . I would then pretend to get tired and sit on a bench (yes it can be done in winter) to rest. My senior dog would first stand and be on guard, then would lie down and all the while - look around and watch. When I could tell he was ready to go, I would head back to the car. I learned to go in a circle - and to different places to take shorter walks. He really loved his walks and by making adjustments he was able to enjoy them right up until he died.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Good ideas. I actually have a vet appt. on Friday for Heidi and will be discussing her slowdown in activity. She does have HD/arthritis, but is on a supplement and aspirin only; perhaps she needs something stronger for pain management. She enjoys my heating pad, which I use for my own joint problems if I get up and forget to turn it off, Heidi will be sitting on it. Then I can't bear to make her get up, so I just lose it till she gets off my chair!

I see that it takes a lot of creativity to keep a senior active. We have hiked in the past, to other areas in our state, but it may be only close by parks now, as it doesn't make sense to drive for two hours to walk one mile. She and I certainly do have fun and had lots of hikes planned for summer. We'll see. When the weather gets nice, she might be more interested.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have an almost 14 year old that like yours has HD and athritis. I used to give him Rimidyl and tramadol on occasion when i thought he needed it . Then about 2 years ago i put him on it daily and it made a big difference. I also have him on a joint supp ( acti flex 4000) and he has always been on grain free ( because grains cause inflamation). He had been doing 45 - 60 minute walks till about the age of 12 1/2 and then he started to slow down. Just in the last 6 months i noticed him getting even slower and more tired and of course thought it was his age and his hips. About 5 weeks ago i felt some distention in his abdomen and took him to the vets. They found his spleen was enlarged and did a splenctomy. His spleen was 7 lbs and the size of a volleyball. It has not ruptured so that was good. He is doing soo much better and is back up to 45 minute walks and is even playing with the other dogs.
They can be soo stoic that sometimes we dont know when something is bothering them. I would get bloodwork done and a check up just in case and start him on some pain meds and anti inflammatories too.
I do believe in keeping them moving to help with the aches and pains. Even if it is a shorter walk they still love to walk and explore the woods. Even it is slow and steady

Hope this helps

Last edited by godiva13; 02-21-2013 at 10:26 AM.
godiva13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Months before Pyrate's time came he started wanting to take shorter walks so I accommodated him by doing so. Toward the end he didn't even want to try to make it to his favorite Post Office walk where he gets treats and petted by the post mistress so I would just walk him around the front yard and around the house close to home. I knew when the end was getting close as he didn't want to leave the yard. It broke my heart knowing he was in pain even on medication and I still have a big space in my heart that will always belong to Pyrate. It's hard to see them grow older. After he went I couldn't even walk Raina to the post office because I was too emotional. Now Raina does enjoy that walk every morning and has made friends with some of the people who loved Pyrate but I still miss him. My heart goes out to you.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is just nothing fun about the dog getting old. My old dog will be 14 in less than a month and her walks are about 1/10 what they used to be. We used to go for miles with run through the woods in the middle, now the end of our street and back is her limit even then I can tell she is wearing out. Luna had an ACL replaced in one knee, the other knee is not great, she has arthritus and her hips hurt. She is still happy and still wants to go on walking I just am to the point I can tell when it is too much now. She still doesn't want to turn back but I have found that pushing her to hard, even if she seems to want it, has a big strain on her the next couple days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.