The wheelchair thing always sounds like a great idea, but really it isn't. Some things to consider:
1. The dog has to be supervised EVERY MINUTE they are in the wheels. This isn't something you can put them in and let them go wander around. BUT I did have good experiences with using wheels for travel, for getting my old dog in and out of flyball tournament sites. But that's pretty much the only thing we used the wheels for.
2. The wheels tip over pretty easily, and depending on the mobility of the dog they might not be able to get back up without assistance.
3. They are EXTREMELY expensive. I was lucky that a friend loaned us her cart for Tori's last year.
4. With a large dog, a cart is completely useless in the house. Gets caught on furniture and doorways.
5. The dog has to remain standing or walking the entire time they are in the cart, they can't lie down. Think about it, how much does your dog want to stand?
6. Moving a large dog in and out of a cart is hard on your back.
The cart had it's uses, but for everyday life we found it pretty impractical.
--Regina and the GSDs:
UCDX von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!) HGH, UD,RA,BN,GN, ASCA UD RAX High in Trial
PAM Monster Mike SchH2,UDX,OM1,TD,RE,VER
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)