Help any use dog shoes/boots for dragging back paws - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracylh View Post
My Gunner has spinal issues, the neuroligist feels there is atleast 2 spots on his spin that his causing him to lose some feeling in his back legs. He's almost 12 and the dr, honestly does not recommend surgery. Gunner is 110 lb, so he has reached his life expentacy, however Gunner still has so much life left in him. He refuses to be babied and still wants to walk and play. If he falls playing fetch he just gets right back up. My problem is the when we walk Gunner on on pavement he drags his back legs and the nails bleed a little, but he really wants his normal walks, so has anyone used any dog shoes that they can recommend. Now that the neuroligist has him on neurotine and to his deramaxx he really is doing so much better, so I want to continue his normal activities. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tracy
My 14 yo has had DM, Degenerative Myelopathy, for more than a year. I've purchased regular dog boots from the local big box pet stores. Some thinner ones will wear through from dragging on asphalt, so you need to keep an eye on how worn they are. With some styles, it helps to put the boot on "upside down", ie bottom surface of boot is worn on the upper part of foot which drags.
Lady has now progressed to needing a cart. She uses one from Eddie's Wheels, which has 2 stirrups for the 2 rear legs which she can no longer control. She still enjoys walking outside in the neighborhood with her cart.
Joan
LittleMiko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

I am using Power Paws non slip socks from Woodrowwear.com for my 122 pound extra large breed 10 1/2 year old. He has gotten wobbly in the rear the past 6 months and started sliding and falling on our tile floors. The middle nails on his back feet were worn all the way down. The non slip socks XL size keep him on his feet and restored his confidence. His nails have grown back to normal. He only wears the socks on his back feet. They were truly a gift for my dog and his loving family.

Last edited by jrussell; 09-21-2012 at 12:24 AM.
jrussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They make boots for dogs that drag their feet. For example:

Dog Boots and Pet Booties from Walkin' Wheels

NeoPaw Dog Boots NeoPaw Dog Boots [] - $28.00 : TITLE

Dog Boots That Work

https://www.neopaws.com/catalog/summ...es-p-1914.html
Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hey Guys,
A lot of great info in this thread, but I noticed some links are dead or the product has been discontinued. Just curious if there are any new products that anyone knows of that would be effective for my little Jacob.

A little background- Jacob has degenerative myelopathy, severe hip displaysia, and to top it all off- bad kidneys. He, like many of yours, is dragging his rear feet and sometimes the top of his feet bleed. We were using boots from Petco but they inhibited his walking ability and seemed to actually make matters worse.

Thank you in advance for all of your input!

Brendan
Jacob- 12 y/o GSD (13 in August)
Sushi- 4 y/o Yoranian
ButtStripe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

my friends pit has ataxia, and he uses the ruff mutts boots Ruffwear Skyliner? Dog Boots

he brings his dog on 2 hour hikes with our hiking group and the boots really help

there are also Guardian boots

http://www.alldogboots.com/Guardian-...Boots-s/31.htm
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ

Last edited by mebully21; 06-14-2013 at 07:31 PM.
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.