German Shepherds Forum banner

Losing control of back legs

53K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Sunsilver 
#1 ·
My female GSD just turned 8yrs old and in the last 6-9 months she has slowed down. About 6 months ago is when it really started to show up- the crossing of the back legs, her back legs slipping out from underneath her. In the last month it has gotten a lot worse. I took her to the vet about 3 weeks ago and he said it looks like she doesn't have any idea what is going on with her back legs.. he folded her back feet and she didn't automatically correct them which he said every dog should do. He suggested xrays which I am getting tomorrow. Needless to say I am very nervous about this rapidly getting worse and having to put her down if she can not control her back legs or someday maybe her bowel movements. The doc has her on RX Rimadyl 75mg 2x a day. I havent seen much improvement with this. Has anyone been through this with their GSD's? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Coleen

Ceasar RIP- love you
Sedona 8 yrs old
Chance 4 yrs old

#31 ·
My GSD is also 8 years old and is losing control of his hind end. X-rays show advanced lumbar arthritis with two of the vertebrae fused. We are using Cartrophen and after only one injection, he has slightly improved. We have high hopes that there will be significant change in the next couple of weeks. Perhaps that is also an alternative for your girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#33 ·
I did not get the EEG test done to be positive of Cowboy's DM, but it's likely, with the progression of wobbling and knuckling under. Add to that Spondylosis and a severely eroded right hip and it's not looking good. Just got this confirmed today with our xrays.

I feel like my heart is breaking. I keep looking at all of his pictures from puppyhood to now, pictures of him with ribbons and trophies, swimming in the lake, hiking, riding in the truck and back to him lying by my feet, hardly able to get up. This picture in particular makes me sad. He is so small in it, like a blip in the universe. When I look at it, I feel like it's him leaving my life slowly stage right, soon to disappear from the frame...

#34 ·
For those curious, Cowboy's condition is deteriorating quite rapidly. The first video was taking January 9 and the second video February 4. He was able to chase a squirrel in January, though wobbly but as you can see now he has nearly lost use of his rear. I'm kicking snow in this video trying to get him to go back and forth. He is really happy and plays and doesn't seem to be worried about it even if he isn't able to hold himself up. I'm actually glad for the snow. It's just that now people slow down their cars to stare and passersby look concerned and by the end of every walk after all this and struggling to keep him upright, I'm an emotional mess.

January 9
VIDEO0043 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

February 4
VIDEO0047 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

#35 ·
Awwww. God love him he's trying so hard and having fun! I just put my senior Lab down last week from ongoing digestive issues that were worsening and he also had spondylosis and suspected DM so i know what you are dealing with. If cowboy doesn't have any other major health issues would a cart be something you'd consider? Looks like he is plenty strong on his front end to support and pull himself around. I'd limit walking any great distance with his condition but do just enough to keep him limbered up. He is such a handsome boy! Wishing the best for him!

#36 ·
Ours is the same, was originally on very expensive painkillers. Total waste of money. He’s now on Vivitonin 100mg two, twice daily. Used normally for dementia in dogs, but increases blood flow to the brain and has helped.
Degenerative Myelopathy is caused by the brain not sending messages to the back legs. This is probably why these tablets are currently helping.
We have bought him non-slip socks, boots, and now a two wheel wheelchair. Which I might add he loves and is getting used to, but now actually asking again to go for a walk.
Don’t let them talk you into putting her down, or overspending on medication. Ask for a prescription and order online. She will let you know when she’s had enough. Our last GSD had same, older then our current one, but we knew when he’d had enough.

#37 ·
Jannetta, this thread was last posted to in 2013. I'm sure the OP's dog crossed the rainbow bridge a long time ago.
Wishing you all the best with your dog. I had to put my 14 year old down in May because she could no longer walk due to DM, and had no control of bladder or bowels.

Up until 2 weeks before she collapsed, she was still wanting to chase balls and squirrels, and go in the car for off-leash walks at the local military base.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.