"Paris" has started falling over on her side... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 04:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Paris" has started falling over on her side...

"Paris" is my 14~1/2 year old longcoat girl. Twice yesterday when she went out to potty, her back legs wobbled & she just keeled over on her side. One minute she was standing & the next minute she hit the ground. The past two weeks she's become partly incontinent - sometimes she goes outside & other times she pees or poos wherever she's lieing. She has beds all over the house & more bedding than we have. She's on Natural Balance + natural supplements - no drugs (poisons) in our home at all.
I would deeply appreciate any comments which could help me understand what's happening to my dearest Paris.

Thank you in advance.

Anita.
anitapet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

It's the start of hip dysplasia. It happened to my 1st male before he was 9. He had trouble with incontinence also. I helped him around with a towel under his belly for the last 8 months of his life. I'm sorry for your Paris. But to have her for more than 14 years is wonderful.
Rusty_212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wonder if she's had a stroke. Do you have an appointment set up w/ your vet?
The dog isn't developing HD, if she has it it would have presented much earlier than her senior years. Arthritis on the other hand is to be expected.
Hopefully you have been supplementing with omega oils/vitamin E and C. There are threads on seniors and what supplements are best for them.
I'm sorry that Paris is going thru this, I had a senior a couple years ago, and it was very hard when she started going downhill so quickly(same symptoms as Paris, without the pooping, but she would leak pee, smelled like a hamster) I had to lift her rear end to get her up, it was very difficult for her to squat to go to the bathroom without falling. We finally made the dreaded decision when she could no longer keep her food down and she had that look in her eyes. Very hard decision, but 14 is a long life, Clover was 4 months shy of 15 when she went to the bridge.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 05-02-2010 at 08:53 AM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

hi, so sorry to hear your girl is having issues....my first thought was possible stroke also...any other signs or symptoms??? Also, I did wonder about pinched disc or similar that makes is difficult to get up??? If a disc, there would be inflammation, up the EFA's. I also used the towel under the belly at the hind legs to support the rear for her. Have you spoken to your vet at all???

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Gib Laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You didn't mention any other symptoms, but just want to say that one of the symptoms Too had when she had episodes of Vestibular Syndrome (Vestibular Disease) is falling over on her side. Other symptoms she had included head tilts and a strange look in her eyes (other symptoms are also listed in the link below, but she didn't have them all). IMHO it sounds like it's similar to vertigo in people.
Vestibular Disease
Old 05-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You might try acupuncture and chiropractic.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

My dog did the same at 11 years. It was C.D.R.M...If you bend one of her back feet backwards while standing and it stay's in that position,.this is a sure sign.Linzi
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you so very much everyone for your input - I appreciate it so much. Paris doesn't have HD thank goodness. My thought too was that Paris has had a mild stroke. Our Vet isn't open on weekends so tomorrow morning I'm going to phone for an appointment. Unfortunately our nearest holistic vet is 2 hours away, which is the way I would prefer to go. I wish more Vets would convert to the holistic approach ....

Gail, thank you for the website on Vestibular Disease - I read it through but Paris has none of the symptoms. Although I'm wondering if she might have an inner ear infection causing the vertigo. She's not throwing up or salivating & her head is not tilted all the time.

Yesterday when she fell over, it was first on her right side & then later on her left side, & her bowels emited a little liquid diahorrea. Each time she was rigid & lay like that for a couple of minutes & then got up on her own. But each time she falls it drains her energy & by the time we're back in the house she's out of breath & just plops down on a bed or the floor, panting heavily. This morning when I took her outside I used my Witchie's (RIP) belly sling to support her & stop her from falling over - this worked. But once back inside & she plopped down, her body stiffened & her neck arched to her left & she rested her face on my foot (I was squatting next to her). After a minute she came out of it again & was alert. She's not wanting to eat her regular food but she is eating her morning cup of plain, fat-free yoghurt with her immune system builder & her supplements in it. I cooked skinless boneless chicken breast for her & she ate that too, so at least she's getting something into her tummy. I'm going to try her with a little of her regular food + chicken tonight.

At midnight on a Saturday two years ago (April 2008) when Paris was 12~1/2 yo, she had emergency surgery for bloat. To this day it's beyond my comprehension as to how it happened, as I have always take preventative steps to esure it doesn't happen. Both the ER staff & our local Vet were amazed at how well & quickly she recovered from this trauma, but I know it's because (1) she's healthy & not filled with drugs & (2) I contacted all my Reiki friends & animal lover friends who sent healing energy & prayers to her - the power of belief & prayer is amazing! :-). So as a result, I've been extra careful with what I feed her (I soak her dry food until it's completely saturated) & how & when she exercises. The one thing I'm unable to control is the thunderstorms - she gets so stressed out & Rescue Remedy doesn't help at all, even if she get's it before the storm breaks. Dogs are so sensative to the changes in barometric pressure that before the rolling thunder & lightning even start, she knows it's coming & starts pacing & hyperventilating.

I have been building a website for Paris & in it you can read about us (I still have more pics & info to add):
www.parispawprints.com

I will keep you posted on Paris' progress. I'm not ready to part with her although I know I have to do what's best for her when the time comes.

I love Shepherds & have had 7 over the years.

Anita
anitapet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

it sounds like she is having seizures....as a side, I understand that soaking does not prevent bloat...

PS...i like ur website....ur a very caring person by the sounds of it!

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration

Last edited by Gib Laut; 05-02-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Gib Laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Anita, Paris is so very lucky to have you!! You sound like a compassionate, caring person and I hope this is just a bad bug or something & will pass quickly, but it does sound like seizures to me as well.
I agree with the holistic vetting, too bad there aren't more practicing. Paris will be in my thoughts and it is good to hear she'll eat and is keeping it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.