Ripped out toenail - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Default Ripped out toenail

Lakota decided to open Rayne's crate door to see if she had left any morsels of food. She really should know better but..... I heard the tiniest little "YIPE" and went to check on her. She was already licking Rayne's crate and I figured the yipe was because the door closed. She really does not care for confinement. A few minutes later I turned around and noticed a gloop of blood on the floor. I tracked Kota down and saw the bloody foot. Made her come out from her favorite place, under the futon. Yes, she hates confinement but her fav place to sleep is crammed under their futon. I immediately grabbed a paper towel to try to stop the bleeding from what I suspected was just a broken toenail. As I applied pressure I was like "why don't I feel the nail???". The WHOLE thing is gone, totally. I taped a cotton ball on with some white bandage tape, wrapped in vet wrap and put an old sock on it and taped that up (not too tight but tight enough to maintain pressure to stop the bleeding. The whole time I am going this she is not acting as if she were in ANY pain just typical withdraw the foot like any time when I cut her nails or trim the hair between her toes. I tracked down the nail and sure enough it was the WHOLE nail but the one end is hallow. She must have caught it in the door to Rayne's crate as she tried to open it. But I swear it was barely a yip worth checking on (I barely hear it from 20 feet away).

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Amaruq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Ripped out toenail

Barker the Younger didn't even yelp when she did it. You might want to stock some septic powder for the next incident...
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ouch, poor Kota!

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

When we lived in NC we had an acre back yard, not all really level.

DH was playing frisbee with Rocky when we heard him just give a small yelp, same thing, nothing frightening.

When he got in the house I noticed blood droplets on the floor, after looking him over found he had nearly ripped out one of his back nails.

I took him to the vet, but all the would do was try to trim it down a bit. They said it would fall out on it's own & a new one would grow in, that it would be too painful to pull it out.

It fell out, new one grew in, he was fine.

So it seems scary, but it should be okay
Laura H. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AmaruqLakota decided to open Rayne's crate door to see if she had left any morsels of food. She really should know better but..... I heard the tiniest little "YIPE" and went to check on her. She was already licking Rayne's crate and I figured the yipe was because the door closed. She really does not care for confinement. A few minutes later I turned around and noticed a gloop of blood on the floor. I tracked Kota down and saw the bloody foot. Made her come out from her favorite place, under the futon. Yes, she hates confinement but her fav place to sleep is crammed under their futon. I immediately grabbed a paper towel to try to stop the bleeding from what I suspected was just a broken toenail. As I applied pressure I was like "why don't I feel the nail???". The WHOLE thing is gone, totally. I taped a cotton ball on with some white bandage tape, wrapped in vet wrap and put an old sock on it and taped that up (not too tight but tight enough to maintain pressure to stop the bleeding. The whole time I am going this she is not acting as if she were in ANY pain just typical withdraw the foot like any time when I cut her nails or trim the hair between her toes. I tracked down the nail and sure enough it was the WHOLE nail but the one end is hallow. She must have caught it in the door to Rayne's crate as she tried to open it. But I swear it was barely a yip worth checking on (I barely hear it from 20 feet away).
When my lab Dakota had a wound on his front leg, I cut off the foot of one of DH's socks & used that with tape, it's a fine bandage isn't it?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

I made more noise than she did when I pinched my finger between the mop and the crate door as I was cleaning up her blood. She looked at me like "wimp". She is leaving her wrapping alone so I will leave it on as long as possible.

On a side note you can take the dog outta SAR but you cannot take the SAR outta the dog. KC was trained in cadaver as a young lass and took to it as naturally as she did to herding later. I let her in after bleaching the blood off the floor in the living room, hall, kitchen and bathroom. She spent the next 5 minutes sniffing through every room and I saw her hitting EVERYWHERE there had been even the tiniest drop of blood. GSD are truly an amazing working machine.

Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Old 03-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drkcloud4u

scooner did that about a month ago, only i don't know how she broke it...I remember she was forever licking her paw, so I told her to stop, then she walked away & noticed blood drops, so I immediately got the kwik-stop and applied it. She didn't like that..but it has to be done!
Old 03-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

She is being AWESOME about leaving her sock alone and there is no sign of it leaking through so I think she will be OK. Doesnt even look like she is limping. Walking a bit different with the sock but not limping or favoring it. Perhaps I am a far bigger wimp than my 12 year old Sibe.

Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Old 03-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I've always used that special dog & cat cleaner you get at Pet Smart, the stuff that supposedly removes any trace of odor? Yeah, right, these dogs don't miss ANYTHING.

If one of the cats throws up, I clean it up, the dogs will still sniff there.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

May want to keep a bandage on for a few days, but change it daily. Also if it is wet outside put a plastic bag on it to keep it dry. Check with your vet about antibiotics and a check on the progress of healing.

Kai vom Theishof ~ GSD
Maggie ~ Pug
Natasha ~ Queen Kitty
Midnight ~ Boss Kitty
Lennie ~ "Special" Kitty
srfd44-2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.