German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Search & Rescue (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/search-rescue/)
-   -   What age? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/search-rescue/461857-what-age.html)

Broncs 06-19-2014 12:03 AM

What age?

I am new to SAR and am curious as to what age most of you start your dogs in SAR training? I am getting involved with my local SAR group and we will be starting Zander's traing in about 10 days and he will be just over 10 weeks at that time.

gsdsar 06-19-2014 12:08 AM

What age?

10 weeks is very young. Most SAR training does not really begin until the pups are about 6-8 months old.

But getting him out, playing with the team members, socializing is very good.

My boy is 17 months and started HRD about 3 weeks ago. Needed to give him time to mature.

But in that time he was well socialized, started in new areas, did some fun runaways and got to be out and about, and we did some obedience. All the while focusing his drive, developing work ethic, and agility.

Good luck and have fun learning!!! It's a heck if a ride!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

DutchKarin 06-19-2014 01:10 AM

I started with Tygo at 10 or 12 weeks or so. What that meant is that I went to training and we started on little run aways. The rest of the time, he was crated and I hid for people and started learning what I needed to learn. If the group allows it, starting with runaways and other little training exercises, all fun all the time, is a great way to get started.

Zylozes 07-03-2014 10:40 AM

I'm basically doing the same thing as you are.

Kingsj 07-11-2014 02:00 PM

Our team has a number of young dogs. Many started as puppies, and just came and socialized. Then most of those started doing short fun runaways, even at 3-6mo. Now we have three young ones between 6mo and 1.5 y/o that are doing HRD and trailing. The young dogs/pups are not pushed, we just encourage them to have fun and keep things fairly light.

I started my dog in HRD when she was about 18mo. She is 2.5yrs now and we are planning to take the IPWDA certs for HRD (land) and trailing in Nov2014.

I think it is good to have pups attend the meetings and play fun games. They get conditioned to have fun/work at the meetings. They also get used to waiting, and just the environment they will see in the future. Just keep it fun and make sure the team is good with whatever level of participation you want to have with the pup.

Good luck!

My2shepherds 07-11-2014 02:09 PM

Just curious how do you know if SAR is something your dog would be geared for? What traits do you look for?

My2shepherds 07-11-2014 02:11 PM

Sorry just saw the other thread...

Broncs 07-13-2014 01:56 PM

Well Zander started SAR this morning at just under 3 months old. He did really really well! By the 3rd puppy track he no longer needed treats along the path! I was really happy for him! Next weekend we have a 3 day seminar where he will probably only do more puppy tracks but I will learn more about air scent and cadaver tracking. I must admit I was a bit surprised to learn that synthetic odors aren't used in cadaver training!