German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Search & Rescue (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/search-rescue/)
-   -   SAR Org. Questions (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/search-rescue/442873-sar-org-questions.html)

Buggibub 04-25-2014 11:46 AM

SAR Org. Questions

Does this group appear to be something worth pursuing? I want to cut my teeth and get the Tech II certifications so by the time I get my next GSD, I can seamlessly transition into wilderness K9 SAR.

Membership

Not too familiar with SAR groups and organizations, so looking for feedback both positive and negative.

Buggibub 04-25-2014 12:09 PM

obviously, this is just for the organization... getting a dog trained up for wilderness SAR is a whole different beast.

jocoyn 04-25-2014 12:11 PM

It looks good to me.

I really don't see any red flags. Some may have a real issue with the fact they self-certify but "encourage" external certs. We have the same thing going on, though and are requiring NAPWDA for cadaver and are slowly pushing through the resistance to have all team dogs nationally certified. It is a paradigm shift for some of the old timers.

Curious, What is "Intermediate Air Scent Tracking"

Buggibub 04-25-2014 12:14 PM

thanks! i have no idea about any of this, but it has always been on my list of things to achieve and pursue in life. a natural segue from GSDs and being a geologist with extensive field experience into wilderness SAR.

intermediate air scent tracking- setting trails/tracking, simulated "rescue" find work... that's what the handlers here have called it after we graduated from the basic air scent "find" work.

my gsd has too low a prey drive to excel beyond the intermediate 5 acre work.

my next gsd will be of working lines, though.

jocoyn 04-25-2014 11:13 PM

Good show. Get lined up with the team first!

Buggibub 05-06-2014 09:26 AM

that's what i'm going to do.

so can i get my tech II certification without a dog?

jocoyn 05-06-2014 09:46 AM

Yes. The SAR II is a general search and rescue credential that has nothing to do with dogs. You also do not need to be on a team to do any NASAR courses* If you chose to test your dog to the NASAR standards, you must have the SAR II before you can take the test but the other organizations that certify handler/K9 teams do not require it. The team might require it. There is much to SAR that has ZERO to do with dogs.

*Though to be honest, many of the SARII tests are not announced on the site and coordinated with the team.

Buggibub 05-06-2014 12:20 PM

okay! thanks for clarifying. my current GSD is not cut out for the work, but I still want to get involved and get experience under my belt for the time when I do have a GSD that does.

jocoyn 05-06-2014 12:27 PM

Very good to do! Best way if you ask me!!. Also, SAR folks are good contacts for finding good dogs. Often dogs that don't go "for sale" but the good SAR prospects are hand picked out of the litter for folks the breeder KNOWS will work them.

counter 05-06-2014 03:34 PM

Looks legit to me. I like that they have a physical fitness test. I've always noticed that a lot of SAR volunteers are older and "bigger", but their adrenaline seems to empower them to do long searches in rugged terrain. I have seen some people get hurt (twisted ankles, exhaustion, etc.) while training or on real missions, and I think if they were in better shape, it could've been avoided. But beggers can't be choosers when it comes to volunteer SAR. You take what you can get and are happy with who actually sticks to it and shows up on calls! I honestly don't think there is a better bunch of people than the SAR community. Nicest groups of folks I've ever worked with. I think there's something to be said about people who sacrifice their own precious time and money to train and search for complete strangers, usually risking their own lives in the process of saving someone else's life. Amazing! Good luck!! Let me know if you have any questions.