Found myself taking a break... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Found myself taking a break...

Well.. it looks like I have decided to pause training for Titan and I. Since his incident.. Was this Aggression, and/or is it fixable? (moved from Gen Info) I have found a lot of joy in just doing one on one training in my yard or the field by my house. I also, have lost some confidence in him since that day. Mostly I don't have an issue, but there's a small nervousness with him off lead, regardless of what the trainer said. I need to get through that first. I also think I got burnt out.. it's an hour and a half drive and took up almost my whole day. Which was fine for some time.. but after I while it started to seem more like a chore.. the getting out there part. Being there at training was so much fun and I loved every minute of it.. but then the dreaded drive back. I started to find myself not looking forward to training days.. and I hated that feeling.

I still go every few weeks to help the team and continue to learn myself, because I really do want to continue training one day and get certified. I just don't know if right now is that time.

Not sure what I'm wanting out of you guys.. but felt like sharing with the SAR community here. Thanks for reading

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Thanks for the update. When the time time is right to dive back in you will know

I was out for a few years myself (from 2000-2003) I had just washed a dog, the team was falling apart anyway (and it no longer exists), the drive was too far (3 hours each way) and life was too complicated. Someone called me about SAR in 2003 and I just kind of got geared back up.....

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Whitney.

I respect you for doing what you think is best and focusing on Titan's needs. I totally get the driving burn out too. As I sink into this SAR training, it will be expected to do a lot of driving. Ugh. Books on CD help.

I wish you well and I hope you can build that confidence in Titan... and he in you.

Karin
Old 03-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I can understand wanting to take a break. You need to do what is best for you which is not always the easiest thing to do.

I had a forced break from training last year due to an injury which is a bit different then your scenario, but it was a good time out for me. Made me realize that there is more to life then SAR

Take your break, and when the times is right and you feel ready, go back.
Maxwell Brown ~
DinoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think part of my hesitation on stopping is just how much time and training I really have put into Titan for that.. driving him specifically toward that one goal.. and some part of me is mad at myself for not listening to my gut earlier when the team told me it was a lifestyle. I wanted it so bad and I'm a go getter, so I said "I can do this, plus school, plus the military!"

I am starting to be ok with it now, admitting I can't do everything. Though last night we played scent games and watching him find his toy that I hid was so fun and it made me wonder if I made the right choice.. *sigh* time will tell.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.