Developing Hunt Drive? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bequavious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 344
Default Developing Hunt Drive?

So my girl passed the initial evaluation to begin HRD training, and we're signed up for a weekend handler's course in the beginning of April. I'm totally new to this, and I'm feeling a little intimidated. I got my girl as a companion, but I also want to give her a job and this is what we've stumbled into. She's the only shepherd on the team that isn't from working lines. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if she washes out, but I want to give her the best chance possible to succeed.

Is there anything I can be working on to help develop her hunt drive in the next few weeks before we go to the class? I know hunt drive is not the only aspect of a good HRD dog, but I think it's probably where we need the most improvement.
Bequavious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator
 
gsdsar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,915
Default

Is she toy driven or food driven? What kind if eval? Are you working with a team?


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
"So that others may live"
gsdsar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
jocoyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 14,324
Default

Curious about what team? The only one I know in that area is SCSD to the SE and STARR a bit further from you to the NW...as well as some SUSAR folks trying to make a go of it in Columbia. What kind of evaluation?
__________________
Nancy
www.scsarda.org

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
harmony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 2,353
Default

Do you know what you asking for? What are you going to hunt?
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 8,504
Default

tell us a bit more about your dog present state.
lines don't matter ---
__________________
Carmen

**********

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
jocoyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 14,324
Default

Well, also how old is the dog. You really can't "build" the hunt drive I don't think. It is either there or not. Your dog should be willing to dive into any level of brush to hunt for a ball. We do the FEMA tests when we look at suitable candidates. A food driven dog is not necessarily ruled out though as it would be for FEMA. So these are things your dog should be capable of. It is a lot easier to teach a toy driven dog than food driven for HRD.

http://www.disasterdog.org/pdf/train.../Screening.pdf

We never start new handlers with HRD. Ask about certifications. Most of the teams push hard on having national certifications on the HRD teams(as well as all the requisite foundation courses, Bloodborne pathogens, hazmat, and crime scene preservation) because if a criminal search goes to court you want that agency standing behind you [if an HRD team finds a body who was a murder victim, the defense attorney for the person being tried for the murder will often do all it can to discredit the HR team in court and a national certification brings the courtroom support and expert witnesses you want behind you]

Also ask yourself if you are emotionally prepared to find dead people of all ages in all stages of death. [The ones hardest to me are the very recently deceased; I have not had to face seeing a child yet but have been on a search where a dead child was found and that was hard enough. Many on our team just don't want a thing to do with HRD.]
__________________
Nancy
www.scsarda.org

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 03-10-2014 at 11:40 AM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bequavious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 344
Default

Goodness I wasn't expecting so much interest. This really is a great community

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Is she toy driven or food driven? What kind if eval? Are you working with a team?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Curious about what team? The only one I know in that area is SCSD to the SE and STARR a bit further from you to the NW...as well as some SUSAR folks trying to make a go of it in Columbia. What kind of evaluation?
She'll work for food, but she's definitely more toy driven. For the evaluation, the team trainer played with her a bit, threw her toy while she was restrained, and then had me spin her before releasing her to go get it a couple times. Yes, I'm working with STARR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony View Post
Do you know what you asking for? What are you going to hunt?
The team only does human remains detection, so looking for dead people and any traces of dead people in a given search area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
tell us a bit more about your dog present state.
lines don't matter ---
Umm I'm not sure what you want to know? She definitely has good prey drive, but just isn't as crazy as some of the working lines and mals I've watched. Watching the mals work makes me nervous that maybe she won't be as good, so I want to do everything I can to help her be as awesome as possible even though we're both n00bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Well, also how old is the dog. You really can't "build" the hunt drive I don't think. It is either there or not. Your dog should be willing to dive into any level of brush to hunt for a ball. We do the FEMA tests when we look at suitable candidates. A food driven dog is not necessarily ruled out though as it would be for FEMA. So these are things your dog should be capable of. It is a lot easier to teach a toy driven dog than food driven for HRD.

http://www.disasterdog.org/pdf/train.../Screening.pdf

We never start new handlers with HRD. Ask about certifications. Most of the teams push hard on having national certifications on the HRD teams(as well as all the requisite foundation courses, Bloodborne pathogens, hazmat, and crime scene preservation) because if a criminal search goes to court you want that agency standing behind you [if an HRD team finds a body who was a murder victim, the defense attorney for the person being tried for the murder will often do all it can to discredit the HR team in court and a national certification brings the courtroom support and expert witnesses you want behind you]

Also ask yourself if you are emotionally prepared to find dead people of all ages in all stages of death. [The ones hardest to me are the very recently deceased; I have not had to face seeing a child yet but have been on a search where a dead child was found and that was hard enough. Many on our team just don't want a thing to do with HRD.]
She's a year old, and I know there's a strong genetic component to Hunt drive (as well as all of the other drives), but I thought it might be like prey drive where certain activities can bring it out more? So not so much trying to build it, as develop it/encourage it? Perhaps I'm wrong though.

The team only does HRD because that's what the greatest need is for in our area. I think most of the live searches are done by police dogs, so you don't really get the call outs for that. They do require a number of certifications and classes because, as you said, a lot of the searches have a criminal component.

As to being emotionally prepared, I don't know if a person can know how they will respond until they are actually faced with it, but I am not squeamish or particularly emotional (a fault in much of the rest of my life, but perhaps a strength in this area?).
Bequavious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
jocoyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 14,324
Default

The link I sent you shows the kind of ways they test for it. Doing those things would help bring out the innate drives and evaluate nerve strength; it is a good baseline. We get a mix of live and HR searches, but our HR dogs are specific to HR.

This was the kind of thing I was doing with little Beau as a puppy- faked throws - the first is just playing with a ball in high weeds at about 17 weeks (I faked a throw then dropped the ball while he was not looking) and the second was imprinting with HR material in a plastic tube at about 12 weeks (I think). You want to throw toys in such a way that they have to use their nose to find it (orange is invisible to them in green). That would be a good start and throw them everywhere. Different people have different ways of imprinting odor though . I used tubes, some use buckets, others use scent boxes or devices with PVC tubes, but you would not be imprinting till you met with them anyway.


__________________
Nancy
www.scsarda.org

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bequavious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 344
Default

Aww he's a cutie!! Yeah I guess we're getting kind of a later start, but like I said she's my first dog, so we're learning together I'm pretty sure they use boxes for scent imprinting, but I don't think I'll get scent items until after I complete the course. (I think they want to try to teach ME what I'm doing before I start trying to teach my dog lol!) Having her practice looking for her toy sounds fun though

On a random note: Is that why a lot of retriever training bumpers are orange?
Bequavious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
jocoyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 14,324
Default

I believe it is. Could be because WE see the orange real well though. There is no harm in having the dog hunting for the toy for fun. I never do scentwork in my yard but we play a lot of ball there.
__________________
Nancy
www.scsarda.org

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com