German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Search & Rescue (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/search-rescue/)
-   -   K9 Training Grounds (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/search-rescue/406986-k9-training-grounds.html)

jdw5076 02-05-2014 01:40 PM

K9 Training Grounds

I am starting to train my dog to become a search and rescue dog but do not have adequate room to practice, other than the classes which are 45min away and not everyday. Looking to build a training ground for my dog and also a few friends of mine to practice.

DutchKarin 02-05-2014 04:48 PM

A couple of questions. Where are you located? What type of SAR do you want to do? Tracking, Air Scenting, HRD? With my group we train everywhere on public land. In more urban areas they train at high schools, old airports and buidlings, etc.

jocoyn 02-05-2014 08:31 PM

I would recommend if you want to do SAR you join a team. Even if you set up a private training area, the reality is you have to train in many many many different locations. You do what the rest of us do. Have a hefty liability policy, connections with law enforcement, and secure permission to train on public and private lands.

The typical SAR person spends several thousand dollars a year of their own money doing this. It is great you want to fix up your property but I would suggest anyone who wants to donate money for SAR purposes find a search team that is a 501(c)3, and not a private individual to contribute to. All our teams could always use more money!

jdw5076 02-05-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchKarin (Post 4971026)
A couple of questions. Where are you located? What type of SAR do you want to do? Tracking, Air Scenting, HRD? With my group we train everywhere on public land. In more urban areas they train at high schools, old airports and buidlings, etc.

I am located around Pittsburgh. I am not sure which part of the SAR we are going to do but also will be doing personal protection as well. I am going to join a team but just wanted to do training on the side and also for other dogs to train (non-SAR)

jocoyn 02-05-2014 08:57 PM

Ok, check with the team. Many search teams will not allow dogs with any bite training to participate. Some do allow schutzhund dogs. I don't know of any that would allow a PP dog. As a matter of fact, many police departments won't deploy a bite trained dog on search for a missing person either.

A lot of us do things to fix up our own property for training :) -- all our teammates with land have some thing or another.

jdw5076 02-05-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 4972882)
Ok, check with the team. Many search teams will not allow dogs with any bite training to participate. Some do allow schutzhund dogs. I don't know of any that would allow a PP dog. As a matter of fact, many police departments won't deploy a bite trained dog on search for a missing person either.

A lot of us do things to fix up our own property for training :) -- all our teammates with land have some thing or another.

Thanks for the good advice. I will check around and see what the teams say.