German Shepherds Forum banner

How much time do you dedicate to SAR training?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  NancyJ 
#1 ·
In replying to another thread on here, I kind of thought of something.. How much time do you dedicate to training a week? Are you working full time elsewhere or is this more or less your fulltime "job?" if you are working full time and you have a family, how much time other than training days do you dedicate to training and how do you train if you can't meet with the team? Just curious.

Right now I work full time, have a family of sorts, and dedicate all of Saturday to training until we are done. Other than that, I do nose work/"find it" games during the week and physically exercise him daily.

That's about it.

#3 ·
We spend probably all combined an hour during a work day. Between working a bit to get a meal, find it games, and repetitions of whatever the latest trick was. On my one or two days off we do all that, as well as an hour or two spread out of leash practice, proper interaction in public, and new trick for the week.

So all told I would say just shy of 10 hours a week

#6 ·
If you have a young dog, or are a new handler, training once a week with your team is not enough. When I was bringing up my SAR dogs, I got together with other handlers at least 3x a week.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
Hi all.

I work more or less full time at my own business with only a husband and dogs as family. We train one day on the weekend and I try to do skills a couple of times a week on my own, recruiting friends and family. We do lots of exercising and I need to build more training in. I went out and hid toys in the woods and worked on "check it" skills to direct the pup to check and area out.

#8 ·
As a full time handler, doing EDD not SAR, I was training OB for 30-45 minutes daily and detection for 60-90 minutes daily. We worked missions 6 days a week and tried to take 1 day a week off for recovery.

If we had 2 consecutive days off, the first day would include an extensive search and specialized OB, like recall on gunfire or 2 way radio work.

It's nice to have your dog be your job.

David Winners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.