Looking to Join - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking to Join

I have a three year-old German shepherd that I rescued from private owner. He appeared not to be in any distress of any sort. He was very well mannered, friendly, and attentive. My wife and I strongly suspect that his owners girlfriend was not happy with this dog. We intended to train him as a service dog for my wife. However he took to me instantly. Where I went he went and we found him to be very intensive. He is always posted within 10' of me. I have had Aries for about a year and his intensity is just a phenomenal. It is too bad that he did not go into being a bomb, narcotics dog for the police.

Well it turns out that I am in the need of the service dog myself now. We are in the process of training and certifying him for stability and emotional support for myself. Once I get may knee repaired I would like to start working him into search and rescue also. My problem here is that here in Florida its a very closed society when it comes to dogs being involved in searches The lord high sheriffs do not like private people stepping in their turf, unlike in Tennessee were we were more than welcome to help participating searches.

Is there anyone that has any knowledge of any search groups in the Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota, Northport regions that I could see about joining and training this dog. I know he would love to participate and I, as a retired police officer is entering the winter of his life and would like to stay highly active to continue the winter of my life, would also like to join.
TheSGM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not familiar with SAR in your area, but usually volunteer teams are affiliated with the local Sheriff's office so that is where I suggest inquiring. You might get a better response if you omit the disparaging comments about them when asking though. Volunteers go through extensive training and certification before qualified to deploy on search missions, so the law enforcement agencies that request their resources know their capabilities. If some well-meaning but untrained person showed up at a search without being requested, I would expect them to be turned away as they are more likely to be a liability than an asset for the search effort.

dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! Sorry no Sar advice.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

There is a SAR team in Sarasota FL; I have met/trained with some of their members at seminars and they seem very experienced and professional. I would consider that your public comment and attitude about the "lord high sheriffs" may create some problems as teams hold those relationships with LE very dearly and there are many very good reasons for LE to reject volunteer help without a pre-existing relationship. I am confused though. If you need a dog for stability and have knee problems that may create issues.

Another consideration is his age. Generally teams want you to start a younger dog (seeing that you still have obstacles before you even think of starting him) because there is a huge time investment and you want to maximize service life. We do allow folks on our team to start dogs up to about 4 because we know the fledgling handler will make a lot of mistakes. That first dog may not even become operational, or if it does only for a short time, but it makes the next dog so much easier to train.

Sarasota K-9 Search and Rescue - "Partnering with K-9s to find the Lost."

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 12-28-2013 at 09:32 AM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

I know several civilian SAR teams in Florida and trainers. Deployed frequently. However, with all due respect. I would not suggest SAR for you. You stated the dog will be your ESA and used for stability etc . I would stick with that
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

there's no winter of life. it's the spring of a new life, the
begining of a new era, new age, new thoughts, new things
to do. good luck in the spring of your new guest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSGM View Post
I have a three year-old German shepherd that I rescued from private owner. He appeared not to be in any distress of any sort. He was very well mannered, friendly, and attentive. My wife and I strongly suspect that his owners girlfriend was not happy with this dog. We intended to train him as a service dog for my wife. However he took to me instantly. Where I went he went and we found him to be very intensive. He is always posted within 10' of me. I have had Aries for about a year and his intensity is just a phenomenal. It is too bad that he did not go into being a bomb, narcotics dog for the police.

Well it turns out that I am in the need of the service dog myself now. We are in the process of training and certifying him for stability and emotional support for myself. Once I get may knee repaired I would like to start working him into search and rescue also. My problem here is that here in Florida its a very closed society when it comes to dogs being involved in searches The lord high sheriffs do not like private people stepping in their turf, unlike in Tennessee were we were more than welcome to help participating searches.

Is there anyone that has any knowledge of any search groups in the Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota, Northport regions that I could see about joining and training this dog. I know he would love to participate and I, as

>>>>> a retired police officer is entering the winter of his life and would like to stay highly active to continue the winter of my life, <<<<<

would also like to join.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.