Can't do SAR if you do bite sports? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can understand why they wouldn't allow it.

If you think about it, in SchH, when they're running the blinds, when they find the helper, they have to aggressively bark/hold the helper in place, and if he makes an advance, they bite. (From my understanding, anyway).
I can see why SAR people wouldn't want this type of dog out looking for someone. Imagine that in a real life situation. SAR dog finds the person they're looking for, and the SchH training takes over their brain. They start the bark/hold, and if the person moves forward, the dog bites.... Obviously not every dog would do this, but I can definitely see the liability issue there.
-Fastest 2012 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

We actually had a pretty good discussion on this recently as well -

Schutzhund dogs and SAR

I think the arguments can be made both ways but the way I see it - if a team has those rules -- they have those rules and integrity and ethics requires team members to comply. People are always free to organize their own team if they don't like it.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No you can have no prior bite work with a dog that does professional work as therapy that I know of, won't make to the first hospital . We all have good dogs but it is a "Rule". I work two kinds of dogs because of that rule!!
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
I can understand why they wouldn't allow it.
If you think about it, in SchH, when they're running the blinds, when they find the helper, they have to aggressively bark/hold the helper in place, and if he makes an advance, they bite. (From my understanding, anyway).
I can see why SAR people wouldn't want this type of dog out looking for someone. Imagine that in a real life situation. SAR dog finds the person they're looking for, and the SchH training takes over their brain. They start the bark/hold, and if the person moves forward, the dog bites.... Obviously not every dog would do this, but I can definitely see the liability issue there.
My dogs indication is a stay and bark at the subject (more or less a SchH hold and bark) we have tested her every which way to make sure she does not bite the subject found (short of the subject being the aggressor with her) and she is rock solid. She stays and barks until I get there. That is why we test all the dogs on a case by case basis.

I think any time working with a dog to locate an unknown subject there is a libility issues there. Any dog can bite, put in the wrong situation. How about an agressive subject that comes after the dog? If we know up-front that that could be the case we can treat the search a little different, but most of the time we have limited information on who we are looking for and what their state of mind is.

Lots of variables when you are out there. We do want to stack the odds in our favor and make sure our dogs do not bite the subject (hence a lot of groups have the no bite-training rule), but anything can happen.
Maxwell Brown ~
DinoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think someone in a thick jacket swinging a stick at your dog may be a fair (and realistic) test though....

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Perhaps. But we are entering a very slippery slope here. Then why would we stop there? Why just test the dogs with bite training? Why not test all SAR dogs like that? To guarantee that none of them would bite if put in that situation. In all honesty, I know quite a few SAR dogs that have not had any bite-training that would gladly engage in that situation.

Maxwell Brown ~
Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This is a good point.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Isn't it all about insurance and liability...when a SAR team is called to service by the city/state whatever it may be they're technically working for the city/state. They certainly have the insurance to deal with some liability but a dog that has been taught to bite, and has bitten (be it a sleeve) a human, is a different animal in the eyes of the law. The dog has been shown that in some situations its alright to bite people...but a dog that hasn't been taught that doesn't really know that there are situations where its alright to bite.

In court...all a person would have to show is that the dog has been taught and has bit people and it would pretty much seal the deal for who ever is suing. You guys should look up what kind of questioning a K9 handler has to go through in court when their dog apprehends a subject or searches out drugs or any other type of evidence. That dog's entire training regimen and records come into question...the success rate during training, the types of training exercises, ect...

So the same types of stuff will be called into question if a SAR dog ever does something wrong. Then not only the team will be liable but also the agency that hired them.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

If someone sues us for finding their lost loved one alive, literally saving their life, (even if they got bit by a dog, by the subject attacking/provoking the dog), then there is something wrong with this world and it will be time for me to quit SAR work.
Maxwell Brown ~
Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Melgar v Greene. 2010 4th Circuit Court of Appeals

Gaithersburg MD. (right up the street from you) Drunk kid probably would have died if the police dog had not found him...unfortunately he was under a bush, out of sight, and the dog bit his leg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.