With all the bragging about Beau and his sound progress - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Default With all the bragging about Beau and his sound progress

Well, this weekend he reminded me that he still has a lot of growing up to do......training problem and a team dog wound up in our area doing something else. Actually right in the scent pool for his training aid.

He looked up, saw Gambit (who is always an happy inviting little girl) and totally blew me off and ran over trying to play with her. Sigh.

Well.....he is definiitely a talented boy, but I guess 17 months does not an adult dog make....obviously we have a new thing to work on at training.

Not sure why, all of a sudden, he decided he wanted to run play with other dogs. Gambit's owner said it was ALL play (it was from my perspective too but I wanted to be sure!)

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Awww....maybe she was just irresistible! 17 months is still so young! Always good to know what to work on next.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

In any animal training, I always repeat to myself...2 steps forward, 1 step back...there's always something!

Distractions are the hardest, I think. I was observing on a mission ready test recently and even that dog (who otherwise aced his test) struggled to stay focused when we stumbled across a prairie dog colony!
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was just reading an article in the newest K9 Cop magazine and it was dedicated to training scenario's that showed weaknesses in real life experiences. The handler is never clued in to what would occur so they don't have that heads up decision making. They are carefully planned with certain goals in mind. Really interesting article(by Jerry Bradshaw, Tarheel K9)
Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

LOL, I was just reading that last night myself. Our team does that (scenarios based on real life) and has the same viewpoint on certification, not as an end goal but a step along the way. And training scenarios based on real searches. Stray dogs in the search area are a reality. Due to his age I have not exposed him to too many dogs fence charging or lunging at their chains, but he will have to face that.

A neighbors yapper dog jumped him before I could intervene about 2 weeks ago. It was fast and no physical damage because we pulled him right off, but I think it did leave an impression on him. He is more interested in other dogs right now - but not in an agressive sort of way. I am not sure he even read it as an attack because he was doing play bows afterwards, but it seemed that way to us. There probably is some residual from that we need to work through...I can be "more interesting" to him though because he is not allowed to play with them and I have the ball.

Bradshaw has some good articles. I have not gotten a renew notice but I guess it came with an IPWDA membership? Not sure if my NAPWDA membership carries it or not but they send out their own magazine (which is more "news" related than training related)

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 12-03-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post

Not sure why, all of a sudden, he decided he wanted to run play with other dogs. Gambit's owner said it was ALL play (it was from my perspective too but I wanted to be sure!)
I have an easy answer to that; Cause he can. ha ha ha. You know full well, regardless of how well we train, perfection is a goal, not a reality.

DFrost

DFrost
DFrost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This is all true. And I keep being reminded that 17 months is NOT a mature adult dog by any stretch. Any deployments will be on a case by case basis even though he is certified and maintaining reliable stats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.