Does SAR not exist in Ontario, Canada anymore? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Does SAR not exist in Ontario, Canada anymore?

I am feeling a little frustrated.

Hunter and I do obedience and IPO competitively/regularly. I would really, really love to be an ACTIVE SAR team in Ontario - but no matter how many e-mails I send, I just can't get in contact with anyone. I am feeling pretty frustrated.

Would love to use Hunter's exceptional working abilities to help the community, and help him grow and mature as a working dog.

Any advice? BLAH! Very frustrating.. Ontario is a dog sport/job wasteland.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well, my experience with most SAR teams is slow answers to emails. If you found an actual contact you may want to call if it is not "the" emergency number. Figure most SAR folks (at least here) work full time jobs AND do SAR and do other things....

It could also be about what is in your emails. Are you talking about what a great dog you have or that YOU want to serve the community. Most SAR teams view the dog as a tool and it is the people they are more interested in. That is because they want someone who will stay on and get another dog or find a way to support the team in other ways if the dog is not suitable.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
It could also be about what is in your emails. Are you talking about what a great dog you have or that YOU want to serve the community. Most SAR teams view the dog as a tool and it is the people they are more interested in. That is because they want someone who will stay on and get another dog or find a way to support the team in other ways if the dog is not suitable.
Nope, I am just saying I am interested in getting involved actively as a SAR team with my young male.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had the most luck finding a local (well, a few hours drive) SAR team at a pet expo, they had a booth setup and were willing to talk for a while. After we talked I had to give up on it because of my job (there's no way I could have the freedom I'd need, and would not be able to afford the equipment/training). The team I chatted with was not interested in my dog at all (which was fine since this was before I got Nikon and Coke is no SAR prospect), they explained the training and certifications I'd have to do without a dog that would have probably taken me two years.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

We tell prospects they may spend between $3000 and $5000 a year. (A lot of that in fuel) Have to have a boss who will let them take off as needed on short notice [we expect 50% attendance on search calls] and do allow the other coursework concurrently with training a dog but it is a lot easier to knock it all out first...and of course a supportive family as this stuff is hard on families. Not sure why folks like to go missing on Christmas Eve or Thanksgiving [or whenever the heck Boxing day is] or the day after your New Years party.

The first team I joined took about 6 months of phone calls and emails to connect for a training. The second was about 3 months. I usually check our email box about once a month but we get a lot of spam so if it has no title, or something that sounds like spam out it goes.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

chances are that your dog won't be accepted . No bite training . You have to join a group , I can get you names to contact . The training will be done to RCMP standards , and certification will come from the OPP .
But first you have to show your dedication , and develop skills, and demonstrate that you can work with a group . No dog. Just you , a map, a grid , and lots and lots of time . Go wherever they instruct you to go , and do not miss a day . Training can be 3 times a week . I know one very eager , dedicated person who was eliminated because he missed one training session after having participated in many capacities for over a year .
SAR is not a sport or hobby to while away the time.
The dog has to have exceptional finding / search skills and will be tested rigorously -- in all conditions , all temperatures - snow storm , rain, high wind, urban, rural , multi surface . A far cry from schutzhund step to step if that is what you are familiar with.

SAR does not care " help him grow and mature as a working dog" It is not to help your dog .

If you are serious I will get a number for you and PM you with it .
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

also if they select you, it is you that is important and then the dog is chosen for you , meaning , be prepared to wash out dogs and keep on going till you have a suitable canine team member .
Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
chances are that your dog won't be accepted . No bite training . You have to join a group , I can get you names to contact . The training will be done to RCMP standards , and certification will come from the OPP .
But first you have to show your dedication , and develop skills, and demonstrate that you can work with a group . No dog. Just you , a map, a grid , and lots and lots of time . Go wherever they instruct you to go , and do not miss a day . Training can be 3 times a week . I know one very eager , dedicated person who was eliminated because he missed one training session after having participated in many capacities for over a year .
SAR is not a sport or hobby to while away the time.
The dog has to have exceptional finding / search skills and will be tested rigorously -- in all conditions , all temperatures - snow storm , rain, high wind, urban, rural , multi surface . A far cry from schutzhund step to step if that is what you are familiar with.

SAR does not care " help him grow and mature as a working dog" It is not to help your dog .

If you are serious I will get a number for you and PM you with it .
The bold part above is how I feel. Schutzhund is a hobby for me and my dogs. I train actively and participate in trials, but I am not serving the community. SAR is an active working job for these dogs and is full-time, not just a fun sport.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One person here in Ontario wanted Zefra for SAR, as you are aware Angel.

I myself, view SAR as a "job", not a hobby. I do not have the time nor the commitment to take this on. My passion lies elsewhere (schH).

I think SAR is a unique venue that only a selected group of people have the passion for. I am thankful they do of course, but I think you really need to be committed to this venue if your going to do it.

I have a contact to give you if you want it. You know who it is I am sure, but I have her number if you want it.

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In Ontario no dog is allowed with bite training , no schutzhund . Sport and work are such a different approach . The raising and training are different . The dog needs to think things out independantly not just follow orders .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.