Does SAR not exist in Ontario, Canada anymore? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sandra...you're missing the point.........which is.........if Angel went out and got the RH on her own it would not make her any closer to be an operational member of a SAR K9 team!

And what team in the Adirondacks is using the RH as their ONLY certifying standard?

Last edited by GSDElsa; 11-26-2012 at 12:06 PM.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #32 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The New Hampshire team are also NASAR members (who have dog cert standards), have certified their HRD dogs through IPWDA, and work with Chris weeks who is an excellent trailing (not tracking-though I think he does that too) instructor. Chris used to be with Raleigh NC PD but moved back to NH because they had young children and wanted to be closer to "home"

He got our HRD dogs started, and we fly him down at least once a year for troubleshooting and training with our trailing and HR dogs. He have even been helpful with some air scent strategies.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
The New Hampshire team are also NASAR members (who have dog cert standards), have certified their HRD dogs through IPWDA, and work with Chris weeks who is an excellent trailing (not tracking-though I think he does that too) instructor. Chris used to be with Raleigh NC PD but moved back to NH because they had young children and wanted to be closer to "home"

He got our HRD dogs started, and we fly him down at least once a year for troubleshooting and training with our trailing and HR dogs. He have even been helpful with some air scent strategies.
One does not have to exclude the other.

@Justine, no I don't miss the point. All I'm saying is, that she doesn't have to be a member on a team to do SAR. Granted, she can't be operational and only do it sportswise but if she wants to do SAR for no other reason than doing SAR without going operational, than the sport RH is the perfect solution and all she needs is to train with her Schutzhund Pals.
Again, she wouldn't be operational and couldn't be deployed but she can still do it, without being on a team.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 11-26-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Sandra, ok.......the thread has gone of track.........YOU were the one that pointed to the "mission reports' and I followed the links.

My repsonse to the OP was that an IRO cert will not make you a deployable resource for most agencies. That is true!

Most teams could care less about the IRO because it does not seem to meet real world needs for wilderness SAR. Since I am not on a disaster team, I really cannot speak to disaster ops with any more credibility than you can to wilderness operations.

That does not mean the elements it tests are invalid or that there is no value added and maybe things to incorporate. I doubt Europe will "bully" the US into using its standards. If FEMA and SUSAR dogs become IRO then the wilderness community will need to take the bull by the horns.

EVERYTHING I read IRO seems to be related to disaster. Any response I make must be colored as being viewed by someone looking through wilderness goggles! Which is why I never make comments about USAR ....... or even SUSAR.
IRO also has Wilderness Area Search Dogs, just saying... especially in Germany we don't have many disaster cases... however, it's not the IRO pushing but people like Bill Dotson that wanted to be part of the IRO to up the Standards of the Search Dogs. They have created the new Organization because they wanted it and saw the needs for it, not because the IRO has bullied them into it.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

There are some elements of the IRO that would supplement and up standards for K9 SAR but there are also other things in currently recongnized standards that exceed IRO and could make it more useable for wilderness. As a complement for non scent discriminatory air scent I did not say or think there was a problem. As a replacement for anything requiring scent discrimination as well as cadaver I just don't see any utility.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 11-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #36 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Back to the OP. One of the first questions when you do get up with a team are what are the standards to which you train and test. I assume Canada has different than the US. The US has many different K9 standards.......NASAR, NAPWDA, IPWDA, LETS, NSDA, etc. but most have a LOT of overlap as they all dance with our NIMs requiremens so (for the most part, the tests cover the same thing) SWGDOG is a consensus standard with intent to be used by certifying agencies for all aspects of working dogs from selection to kenneling to training to medical care etc. Some states have their own standards as well as some teams. ..... So it can all get quite confusing. THere is a lot of beaurocracy in search and rescue

I have not even gone into the HUMAN requirements either.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

there definitely are human requirements , including fitness levels - same as police or fire fighters , and yes you do have to be on a team , often a team member demonstrating your ability to work well together , and are committed long before a dog as partner is in the picture .So this " All I'm saying is, that she doesn't have to be a member on a team to do SAR. Granted, she can't be operational and only do it sportswise but if she wants to do SAR for no other reason than doing SAR without going operational, than the sport RH is the perfect solution and all she needs is to train with her Schutzhund Pals.
Again, she wouldn't be operational and couldn't be deployed but she can still do it, without being on a team. "
to my experience and knowledge does not apply in Ontario.

I have had many dogs in SAR in Canada including avalanche dog (co-bred) and RCMP cert dogs including Nina a Kilo daughter that lived to 15 and Henry both handled by the same person in succession though not at the same time. There was this comment "
I love when people pretend they know me and make assumptions about me. It's really great. " Sorry totally lost on that , what is the meaning on that .

Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here is SAR activity in another province -- standards are the same as in Ontario. Precision Search Dog - About
This person travels to evaluate dogs used as SAR team members - many of the dogs on this team are Yeulett's/Carmspack gsds.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Carmen - just curious - if a dog was trained in schH but had not received any titles yet would they still be considered "bite trained" and be disqualified? Just trying to understand why Zefra was evaluated the way she was when it was fully disclosed of her training history. She has never titled (yet) obviously as at the time she was 16-17 months old.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Okay, so now my mind is turning.. lol.. more questions; is a SAR dog allowed to do any sport they like outside of bite training? I would wonder how lure course training would coincide with this type of work?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.