Maximum age for dog starting SAR? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to VomBlack
Default Maximum age for dog starting SAR?

Is there a general overall age in which most organizations will decide against testing a potential SAR candidate? I understand given the nature of the work and the training involved that you do not want to start too late.

Odin and I are attending a training session this weekend to watch and possibly get him evaluated for further training. Odin is a confident, stable and balanced dog, no human or dog aggression. Exposed to all kinds of environments and situations since he was a puppy, climbing and jumping unusual heights and surfaces.. he's really been a willing and trusting dog to work with. Will search for a lost toy until he finds it, loves fetch and tugs.

He turned 3 in February, and has been in excellent physical shape his entire life. Right now averages around 77 pounds. Would his age be an issue? Either way I'm really interested in learning more about the training and what it all entails.

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty."
- Captain Max von Stephanitz
VomBlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know about most organizations, but mine prefers to start dogs that are under 2 years of age. Between 2 and 3 could be considered, depending on the individual dog. So yes, Odin's age may be an issue.

Also note that some SAR units do not allow Schutzhund trained dogs so you'll need to check on that if you haven't already.

Enjoy the training!

dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

In Germany a dog shouldn't be older than 3 years of age. Our team prefers under a year for most dogs but no older than two except if they have exceptional drive and they pick it up fast.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

It depends on the team; we would not have any problems with a 3 year old provided that it had the right drives and temperament. Our goal is for an adult dog to be operational (basic level) after one year of training.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
It depends on the team; we would not have any problems with a 3 year old provided that it had the right drives and temperament.
My team is the same, if the drive and temperament is there it's not a problem, and the same goes if the dogs has a SchH title, not a problem at all as long as the dog is balanced.
Maxwell Brown ~
DinoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
It depends on the team; we would not have any problems with a 3 year old provided that it had the right drives and temperament. Our goal is for an adult dog to be operational (basic level) after one year of training.
Yeah, but it also depends on if it is a new Team, as in inexperienced handler, or an experienced handler with a three year old.

If he handler has to be on the team for a year before he can start training, the dog is four years of age.... so that is stuff, I think, should be taken into consideration.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Our expectation is experienced organization, with a documented training progression and checkpoints along the way, new inexperienced handler. Adult dog.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to VomBlack

Good to know, I figure regardless I'm interested in the process and the learning experience behind it, so we'll give it a shot and do what we can. Thanks guys.

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty."
- Captain Max von Stephanitz
VomBlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

As far as I am concerned,a three year old gsd has just reached full maturity:-) that is plenty young. Drive and temperament is the most important thing along with health and hips. We use three year old dogs in police work.four is usually out cutoff
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.