German Shepherds Forum banner

Closest club is 2 hours away

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Jax08 
#1 ·
I am interested in trying out IPO with my new pup when he is old enough, but doing a search on the USCA website shows that the closest club to me is a two hour drive away.

How often would I need to go to the club for training? Is it realistically something we could do once per month? I could maybe get there every two weeks. Maybe.

If it's not realistic, I will focus on obedience and/or agility instead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Sometimes the locations listed on the USCA site are the location of the contact person and not the club. I would call and find out where they actually meet.

As someone starting out you might find that even twice a month isn't often enough for you to progress. If you are serious about titling, even once a week isn't always sufficient to make any progress especially in protection.

Reactions: onyx'girl
#4 ·
My club is a 2 hour drive...you may find someone within the club that is local to you to train with mid-week. Or meet up half way in a public location.
I trained with two clubs plus had private lessons with an obedience trainer a few years ago, because I was so into it and needed instruction. I'd also take advantage of any seminar locally from good trainers to get more tools for the toolbox. But consistency is key, especially when setting up a good foundation. So don't bop around but stay within a program, even though getting different training perspectives is very important.

My goals weren't for the podium but to become a better handler/trainer.

Reactions: Chai
#5 · (Edited)
One of the clubs I go to is close to 2 hours away and I usually go once a week, I'm lucky enough to also be able to go to another club that is about 45 minutes away so ideally I go to club twice a week. This is the first time I'm doing any kind of training with a dog so I'm very inexperienced and I feel like once or twice a week is good enough. All the other days I will do short training sessions with my pup at home. If I were in your situation I would go to the club that is 2 hours away and see how much you like it, you'd be surprised how short of a drive 2 hours is if you're really enjoying it and getting a lot from the training. You might also want to ask your breeder if they know of any other clubs or people close by willing to train, some of the clubs are very small and may not be listed on any website.

#7 ·
Well, the thing is, I do already travel about halfway there once a week for horseback riding lessons. I could try to make a day out of it and continue on to the club after my lesson...but I don't know what I would do with my dog while I am riding. Keeping him in the car is out of the question, and having him hang out in the barn with me is against the rules. I just wish everything wasn't so spread out here. I may drive down once or twice to check out the club, and maybe see if anyone lives closer to me.

#8 ·
Where is your general area? Maybe someone knows a good group that is closer to you.

#15 ·
#17 ·
Wow, thanks for the suggestions. I have another question...if he stays in the car, he should be in a crate right? What kind of crate for the car? His wire crate at home doesn't fit in my car. I have a Ford Explorer. Would an airline crate fit better? Would that be too hot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.