Is this how all schutzhund training works? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is this how all schutzhund training works?

When I got my second shep, she was a handful. A trainer told me she was so destructive because she needed a job. I chose schutzhund training. The only one in my area was an hour away. There was only one trainer and he trained all the dogs. He did it one by one. Spending about 20 minutes with each dog. If it wasn't your dog's turn, it had to wait in the car. I'm not sure if schutzhund is only done by a professional trainer or if they help you teach your dog the commands. I stood on the side lines while he worked with my dog for 20 minutes, I got no training on how to practice or what to do next or anything to work on for the next weeks class. Only one dog goes at a time which I understand but it was all the owners standing around handing over our dog for a 20 min session for this one trainer to work with and then us being told to put them away back in the kennel/car. Is this how all clubs work? I wanted something to do with my dog to get her into something we would both hopefully enjoy. But having her wait for 4 hours to be seen for 20 mins and me not even get any training or help seemed like a waste of our time. Did I just have a bad experience with a club in my area or what?! Thanks for the help!
-Megan
Mwilliams721 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Megan no that is not normal at most clubs it usually is you and your dog with training director learning the sport. At our club we always work our own dogs in ob and tracking, then have a helper do the protection work.
szariksdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Schutzhund involves a lot of waiting for your turn. Yes, that's completely normal. I don't think it's absolutely normal for a trainer to handle the dog entirely, but this isn't the first time I've heard of it. If you're uncomfortable or feel like you're not getting enough out of it, voice your concerns to the training director. If they don't offer an explanation that makes you more comfortable, find another club that does.
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know why the trainer would do the obedience portion...they should be teaching you how to handle the dog, as at the end of the day, you'd be the one handling the dog in the trial.

Post your location...there's a chance there are more clubs/training venues around you that you just might not know about. Schutzhund groups have a way of not advertising that well and you'd be amazed how many trainers there might be in your area that you just wouldn't find from a google search.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

I understand the waiting and the one at a time, I just felt like I was going to be paying for my dog to obey someone else. I wanted to be trained also so we could be a team, the dog and I. It was only him training them all and owners sat on the side. Even the experienced dogs were being trained by him and not the their owner. It was weird, no one was doing their own dog no matter how good their dog was. I am moving by the end of this year and have e-mailed an organization in that area, I want to give it another chance. I just was worried it would be the same thing, me sitting with my hands on my face while my dog obeyed someone else's every command. Thank you for all the help! I am in the Tidewater area of Virginia right now!
Mwilliams721 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That is not the norm. I can see why maybe he didn't have you handle the dog when doing protection(some handlers don't know how to be a post) so the dog is backtied....yet the handler is right next to the dog encouraging him/her.
Handler should always be the one to work the dog in ob and tracking with direction from the trainer.
Where are you moving to? I'm sure people here can direct you to a good club.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I often have students that are not very coordinated, don't grasp the hang of it easily, or have too much dog at the time; when these people ask me what they can go home and practice, I often discourage them and tell them just socialize your dog and wait to next week. This can be frustrating for them, I realize, BUT, NO TRAINING is better than bad training if you are trying to accomplish goals in Sch. It is counter productive to spend most of the twenty minutes trying to undo something that was created at home in practicing, practice doesn't make perfect, but rather perfect/supervised practice makes perfect. Hang in there, things sound right to me.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Having the trainer handling/training all of the dogs is not the norm.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

The TD's level of involvement will vary. In each of the places I have trained, my TDs have very rarely taken my leash. For one, my dog is not one that just follows a ball around, he has to have a relationship with someone to work (and if you correct him without having that relationship, there will be problems) and two, I want to learn how to train and handle even if I make some mistakes along the way. Other people feel better handing over the lead for a demonstration before they dive in, it really depends on the person and the dog. I don't think there's any one way.

The waiting is the norm and honestly, 20 minutes for one dog sounds like kind of a long session, but normally you would be helping the others by spotting their obedience, helping with line handling if they want it, setting up equipment, watching a dog on a long down and letting the owner know what it's doing, etc. The last club I trained with was over 2 hours away so I'd be gone from 7am until 5pm or later, but I was never bored or felt like I was just sitting around. Sometimes I would socialize but usually we were talking about dogs, breedings, upcoming trial events, etc.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, 10 to 20 minutes on the field and wait in the crate the rest of the time is pretty normal. Usually, though, where I've been people have done most of the work with their own dogs. The rest of us sat on the sidelines and made snide remarks to one another --- and pointed out to people what we thought they might do better.

There were also occassional members who were excellent in sharing TMI on not dog topics....

You might talk to the people on the sidelines about whether or not they handled their own dogs at training; what they saw the trainer doing and why it was being done, etc. Take advantage of the time you are out there one way or another.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.