Some OB today - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Some OB today

Put the camera on a tripod, unfortunately it restricts how freely you can heel. So I had to do a lot of tight patterns to try and stay in the frame.
You can see that she crowds a bit and sometimes forges slightly.
Hence why I do a lot of backups, left turns and rewarding behind my back.

I experimented with various forms of positive punishment to fix this but didnt like what it cost me in animation. I have decided to accept some of the forging and try to minimize it through the methods mentioned above to maintain the animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInS...ature=youtu.be

Some Dumbell. Used free shaping, markers, force fetch, and prey drive to train this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIAp...ature=youtu.be
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.

Last edited by Blitzkrieg1; 10-21-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You guys make such a great team, you look really good!

Her dumb bell work is coming along beautifully too. She isn't chewy, right?

Also... a little off topic... I took your advice about rewarding from behind, I bought a magnet ball reward for it as well. He seems to heel better outside my house in the yard and on the street then on our training field for some reason... lol! It's helping though, so thanks again!

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Big improvement from before, kudos for that. The forging is because of targeting, if you show her to target shoulder area it will improove, currently she is targeting on face.

Two items on retrieves will make them even better,

1. When you command front position "hier" pay attention to your body language. Your legs are open (feet planted apart), in trial you need feet closer, big difference to the dog.
2. When she goes out to retrieve, you should move position while she is going out and be stationery when she picks up and turns to you (you are moving when she is coming to you).
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She looks good! I like her enthusiasm in the retrieves especially. Nice.

I would reiterate what Faisal said about the visual target area. Its an easy fix and would probably help fix the forging without sacrificing animation. If anything, it might improve.
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Looks good Haz. I will echo what Faisal and Alexis have said. I also noticed that in this video you only rewarded heel position when you were stationary. When she was stationary she anticipated the reward to be around the back, but it looks like when she is heeling she expects reward to come from across your body. Possibly try the reward behind the back while moving if you haven't done so already. Good job. I like how you combined different styles of the retrieve to find what works for you and the dog. That is something many people fail to put together.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
You guys make such a great team, you look really good!

Her dumb bell work is coming along beautifully too. She isn't chewy, right?

She did on the first pick up during the return to front. Thats why I had her do a stationary hold to set her up at the 25-30 sec mark. Pulled the DB out of her mouth with the string, applied pressure with the prong which she knows how to turn off by gripping properly. She goes nuts to grab it and then settled nicely.

Also... a little off topic... I took your advice about rewarding from behind, I bought a magnet ball reward for it as well. He seems to heel better outside my house in the yard and on the street then on our training field for some reason... lol! It's helping though, so thanks again!
Thats great cant wait to see your progress next training. Also, want to check the magnet ball out.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packen View Post
Big improvement from before, kudos for that. The forging is because of targeting, if you show her to target shoulder area it will improove, currently she is targeting on face.

Two items on retrieves will make them even better,

1. When you command front position "hier" pay attention to your body language. Your legs are open (feet planted apart), in trial you need feet closer, big difference to the dog.
2. When she goes out to retrieve, you should move position while she is going out and be stationery when she picks up and turns to you (you are moving when she is coming to you).

Thanks Faisal.

Any tips for changing her target? If I put the ball under my arm she targets it and does not forge, but if its not there she knows and will target my face. I have been unsuccessful in changing the target so far..
My fault for rewarding this in the foundation.

1. I plant my feet apart on purpose to draw her in closer. I initially trained the front with my feet together but started planting them apart to get her in closer. Ill have to ween her off that though.

2. I started moving away from her on the returns to increase speed on the return.
I used to throw the ball between my legs but it actually slowed her down as she would do this stupid creep when she got within a meter waiting for me to pop the ball. So I moved to running away from her on the return or walking backwards with the ball under my chin to bring the speed on the return up.
That being said I did not know I was doing that this session..lol. Thanks for pointing that out I will fix it.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

@ Alexis

Thanks!

Any tips for adjusting focus target would be appreciated.

@ Wolfman
Thank you
I have rewarded while in motion. I started rewarding in stationary position to get rid of the hydraulic sits. I think like everyone has said its the targeting of my face that throws everything off.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Many ways to skin the cat, here is one I am using,

1. No electric when moving in straight line
2. Use ball to target and reward while dog target
3. When dog in forging/crab position, turn sharp left/stop + high momentary stim

So reward comes in straight line, stops and/or turns as long as dog is in perfect position. Crrection only comes when dog is VERY clearly out of position (your quick left and stop will throw her very clearly out of position). Next time when she beats the correction, big reward. They learn fast.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 02:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I like it, Ill give this a shot.

Any tips on changing the target to my shoulder/armpit? I have tried but it was a losing proposition as she reverts back to her foundation when the visual lure is removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.