German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Titan 12 months OB and protection (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/484625-titan-12-months-ob-protection.html)

DTS 08-31-2014 03:30 PM

Titan 12 months OB and protection

We've been working on OB. He still needs work on staying in a sit and not trying to pick up lost cookies but we are progressing .
He didn't want to heel at the beginning because my husband was the camera guy and he wanted to say hi, so we will be needing to add him into distractions more.
I didn't get video earlier at training when we did group work with him.

Titan OB 12 months - YouTube

And his protection work at 12 months. We haven't added any OB yet and today we started with the soft sleeve and then see how he would do with a regular sleeve.

Aug 31, 2014 - YouTube

DTS 08-31-2014 06:03 PM

Thought I put this in there but I guess not.

ETA: anyone have any critiques for us? I'm open to suggestions.

ZoeD1217 08-31-2014 06:09 PM

Well I have no experience so I can't critique but I enjoyed watching the videos and Titan is incredibly handsome! !

Steve Strom 08-31-2014 07:50 PM

How do you feel about taking a few steps back, and working on attention and focus without moving yet?

DTS 08-31-2014 07:56 PM

Ok we can do that.
As a pup he responded really well with the clicker.
Could I incorporate that, say when he makes eye contact, click and treat.
Do you have any video suggestions for foundation work?
Also, I wanted to do some rear end awareness but can't seem to really get passed getting his front feet on the step or bucket.

onyx'girl 08-31-2014 08:12 PM

He's so much still a puppy! I would only use food for training new things and use a ball/tug to get his drive state higher.
When he's checking out with you, turn away quickly so he self corrects. When he's back in heel position with focus, mark it and reward it!
Though using that short line you can't give a good pop...better to go with a longer line that gives some slack.
His recall and front looked nice, the finish did too, a bit of polishing up on both should have him looking great.
Is he motivated to tug/toys? I'd start utilizing them for things he knows, save the food for learning phases.

Steve Strom 08-31-2014 08:17 PM

On your other thread, you mentioned using a ball but you were worried about the leaking. I don't think you'll get what you want with food. I think you'd be better off changing how you play with him, don't worry about the heeling for a little while, and teach him to focus on the toy and cap him in drive.

I really like Ivan's the game. It helps shape a lot of things, not just self control and that capping. At training,have you ever watched someone give their dog some misses,then freeze the dog still staring at the toy?

I wouldnt worry about the rear end just yet, and I don't want eye contact. I think its too tough to maintain that and its too easy to teach them to wrap and crowd you. The best heeling I ever see, the dog is targeting a place on you where the toy is, like under the arm.

DTS 08-31-2014 08:26 PM

He loves the ball. Goes nuts for it.
This is pry a stupid/weird issue but he gets so excited over the ball, when I get it back after the reward it's so soaked in slobber, it won't stay under my arm and constantly falls out. Or I keep having to wipe it 100000 times.
I never thought to keep a small towel with me but that might just be what I need.
He also will get so excited when we first start he won't fuss to my side when asked. He will circle me once or twice while barking and then fuss. I wait until he is calm and then I reward.
He's way more excited for the ball than treats. He screams, and does this mouth thing where he chatters his teeth and slobbers.

onyx'girl 08-31-2014 08:36 PM

Do you correct him?

Steve Strom 08-31-2014 08:40 PM

Once he can focus on the ball and hold that position, you'll move into correct heel position. I just wipe the ball off on my shirt.