German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Dirty in the blind! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/483681-dirty-blind.html)

CSpivey08 08-28-2014 11:19 AM

Dirty in the blind!

I need some advice on how to clean up a dog that is dirty in the blind.
He goes in, tags the sleeve then does a hold and bark. He will go in clean with a little back pressure from the line, then I slack the line and he is clean the whole time. He is a tough dog with a lot of drive, I just need to make it clear to him that going in dirty is wrong.

What methods have you found to work in this situation?

They want to introduce an e-collar to him which I am fine with an e-collar, but my dog is very equipment savvy and I don't want him to become dependent on the collar. Any advice here?

Mister C 08-28-2014 11:43 AM

I am just starting to get my feet wet in IPO so I don't have any advice for you.

May I ask what "dirty in the blind" means? I know what blind is and I can guess at what you mean but am not really sure.

lauren43 08-28-2014 11:47 AM

I'm guessing he doesn't want the dog to touch the helper when he comes around the blind (but I know nothing about IPO so I could be wrong). I will be following. I find this all very interesting.

CSpivey08 08-28-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister C (Post 5955617)
I am just starting to get my feet wet in IPO so I don't have any advice for you.

May I ask what "dirty in the blind" means? I know what blind is and I can guess at what you mean but am not really sure.

He goes into the blind and bites the helper. He shouldn't do that at all. He needs to enter the blind and go straight into the hold and bark without touching the helper. :)

CSpivey08 08-28-2014 12:20 PM

I am not sure if the video will open for anyone. But here is a video of him entering the blind with a little leash help. This was taken back in Feb./Mar.

Kato Hold & Bark

martemchik 08-28-2014 12:22 PM

I would send him in straight into the blind (not around like a regular search), and have a long check line attached to something that will correct him (lets say a prong). As long as a hard correction on the prong won't shut him down...right before he gets to the helper and tries to get dirty...check him and make his position where you want it to be. You might have to check him farther from the helper and let him get closer the more you do this.

You could also lay down a flat board or something in front of the helper, which allows the dog to put his front feet on it. This way he gets a better picture of where his position should be.

If it helps...start this with the helper between two blinds (close together) so that the dog knows not to cross the threshold made by the two blinds.

Castlemaid 08-28-2014 12:36 PM

Your club may want to look into an electric sleeve - cleans up hard-to-clean-up dogs in a jiffy!

CSpivey08 08-28-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martemchik (Post 5955865)
I would send him in straight into the blind (not around like a regular search), and have a long check line attached to something that will correct him (lets say a prong). As long as a hard correction on the prong won't shut him down...right before he gets to the helper and tries to get dirty...check him and make his position where you want it to be. You might have to check him farther from the helper and let him get closer the more you do this.

I posted a video close to what you are saying, he doesn't get a hard correction there but he does get checked. The prong just builds him, that is why the e-collar suggestion was made.

CSpivey08 08-28-2014 12:57 PM

Sorry, Here is the working link to the video.

Kato Hold & Bark

Mister C 08-28-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSpivey08 (Post 5955793)
He goes into the blind and bites the helper. He shouldn't do that at all. He needs to enter the blind and go straight into the hold and bark without touching the helper. :)

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I watched the video and now understand even better.

I am just an IPO noob here but isn't the helper supposed to stand still in the blind? He seems to move right before he gets bitten on the sleeve.

I don't mean to criticize the helper. I am just trying to understand what the helper, dog and handler should be doing. The video isn't entirely clear and maybe the helper was bitten a little and then moved in reaction to the little bite thus leading to the big bite.