Anna 11.5 months old - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anna 11.5 months old

Some obedience with Anna this morning

IPO obedience with Anna - YouTube

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Looking pretty good for your first dog!

I admit I only watched like the first minute before I got distracted, but I wanted to comment (with my limited experience) and say that instead of waiting for her to get ahead and need to bounce back to get into position, I would be rewarding more frequently for getting it right, breaking for a little tug to amp her up, then going back for more.

This is where I'm at with Patton, if you care to see. We haven't been spending much time on it and I don't know a lot of what I'm doing, either... Just trying to keep him in position and reward for proper positioning as much as possible. It's hard to tell sometimes!

Also, love your vest! Where did you get it? Is it a training vest or other?
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz&Anna View Post

Cool. It will get even better if you take 1-2 steps only then reward with ball BUT throw the ball back behind you and not in front as you have been doing.

These 2 simple changes will help in,

1. Reward while in good position
2. Stop forging (dog is forging because of reward direction anticipation)
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Nice video! I wouldn't throw the ball forward either. Don't give the dog any reason to want to forge. Honestly the only place that ball needs to be is under your armpit and then just raise your arm and drop it to the dog.

Also clear to see the dog lacks rear end awareness. It isn't comfortable backing up or turning it's butt. Lots more turns while standing still and in motion!
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think what you are doing looks great! Your dog is coming along very nice and you are doing a great job. Nice pivot into position.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I just realized that I was actually watching DJEtzels video and not Liz&Anna's video. Liz yours looks good as well. Dog training is a learning process. Keep up the good work!
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I just realized that I was actually watching DJEtzels video and not Liz&Anna's video. Liz yours looks good as well. Dog training is a learning process. Keep up the good work!
Whoops!! Sorry/thanks? lol
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz&Anna View Post

Nice! The only suggestion I have that I didn't see yet is to not always throw the ball away from you. Throw it past you(or between your legs) as she's running back. You can already see that her recall is far from you. This is because she's anticipating the ball getting thrown behind her.

Also the "find/follow the leg" game like in DjEtzels video is great. That's all I did with Kimber for a long while.

Edit: Also walking faster(with a purpose) can help keep the dog engaged and focused.

Last edited by mycobraracr; 08-13-2014 at 11:37 PM.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 12:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Nice! I like following your journey with Anna. This may be nitpicking, but this is what I see...and only because I get nitpicked by my TD for some of the same stuff lol.

You lose the dog on your first step, can be remedied by doing some focus work and rewarding unexpectedly on the first step...then the third...then the second...then the first, then the fifth..etc. Create the expectation for the reward.

You also get a head drop every tenth or so step. I would add a lot more rewards into your healing. You've got some forging, I'd do some pivot work and make BIG circles to the left in healing. I have a video of me doing some of this (pivot work). I put the leash behind my legs and kind of steer the dog with the leash to teach the mechanics of pivoting. I am still doing a LOT of this to teach my dog rear-end-awareness. I also reward from my left and just drop the ball/tug out of my armpit or pull it out of my back pocket with my left hand and back up so the dog has to jump back to get the reward.

You use a lot of body language and signals to lure/help the dog into position, turning, motioning, hand luring (especially start/finish). I would work on phasing that out. Once my dog knows the mechanics, I correct into position for noncompliance. Reward for compliance and during the attempt(touch, voice, etc...) and big rewards for the perfect picture (break for the toy).

Do you have to use a tennis ball for reward? Can you use a tug/ball on a string? Anything that keeps the dog interacting and playing with you instead of running away? I personally like the constant interaction during play, but that may be a personal preference. I find that it seems to keep the dog even more engaged with me during healing, everything is about me. Reward is fighting/playing with me. I think it also bleeds over into the dumb bell. You don't want the dog dropping the dumbell every time it comes in because that's what it learned to do with the ball.

So, although I seem to be really nitpicking...it's only because I heard a lot of the same stuff and our dogs are the exact same age (I think mine is a month younger than yours). I focused way more on play/fun for the last several minutes with mostly a TON of focus and foundation play work. Focus under LOTS of distraction, pivot work, dumb bell work, and send out work. I didn't do a lot of heeling obedience, but that is changing a lot right about now. Healing is getting more serious lol. My TD sets the bar pretty high for obedience and we don't move on in healing (longer distance healing) until the picture is perfect right from the get go lol. It's a pain, but I'm also learning a LOT and having to work a lot with my dog. So, I'm new to this (about 20 months into IPO, ~12 months with my current dog)...this is just all my personal/humble opinion, and there are obviously a million and a half ways to train obedience IPO. :-) Cheers!

Last edited by DaniFani; 08-14-2014 at 12:26 AM.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you everyone!! I've been trying to get Anna more engaged with food rewards for months now to reshape the behavior, she does t care to much for it, even if she is starving I get more focus from a toy...my trainer says no toy (any one know why someone would encourage a reward that isn't the best motivator for your dog??)

We have about a year to get her heel perfected >_< and it's been the hardest thing for me, if I lure her she won't look at the food or follow it (in heel position) she looks at my face- always :/

Hahah but thank you I'll check back in, in a few weeks and see what we have
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.